Last minute cruise cancellation-no insurance!

cruiseaholic31

Our friends had to cancel their upcoming cruise (leaves next Saturday). They did not purchase insurance. This would have been their first cruise. When they called Princess to cancel they were told they would have up to 1 yr. to cruise. I always thought if you didn't have insurance you were out of luck and you would lose most or all of your money especially since it's only 1 week away. Is this something new or did they get incorrect information?

Our friends had to cancel their upcoming cruise (leaves next Saturday). They did not purchase insurance. This would have been their first cruise. When they called Princess to cancel they were told they would have up to 1 yr. to cruise. I always thought if you didn't have insurance you were out of luck and you would lose most or all of your money especially since it's only 1 week away. Is this something new or did they get incorrect information?

Nothing that I have ever heard of. If you don't have insurance you lose your money. :( Not sure how they pulled that off? :confused: What reason did they give for canceling?

I suspect they bought Princess insurance without realizing it. If you cancel for "any reason," the amount goes on your Captain's Circle account and you have a year to use it.

What you describe is normal if you have Princess insurance. Not normal if you don't.

Edited by Pam in CA

The DH fell and hurt his knee and must have surgery. I don't think they had insurance but maybe. They were told by the airlines they couldn't use their flight at all any other time (not Princess Air). Usually you can rebook a flight if you pay a fee. I'm thinking she got her calls mixed up. Thanks for the responses.

The DH fell and hurt his knee and must have surgery. I don't think they had insurance but maybe. They were told by the airlines they couldn't use their flight at all any other time (not Princess Air). Usually you can rebook a flight if you pay a fee. I'm thinking she got her calls mixed up. Thanks for the responses.

It would be interesting to hear what the "real" story is if you find out.

It doesn't work that way.

I have seen exceptions made when "it benefits Princess". For example - if the cruise was oversold and they are offering "move over offers" for the type of cabin that is booked, Princess has in the past made an exception.

Edited by Coral

That's very nice of Princess to do that. Why not? They have the money, so when the space is available, what does Princess have to lose?

All the revenue they get from selling Princess Vacation Protection to the rest of us who would cease to buy it if people get the same benefit without buying it.

I have seen exceptions made when "it benefits Princess". For example - if the cruise was oversold and they are offering "move over offers" for the type of cabin that is booked, Princess has in the past made an exception.

From the OP......Were we not talking about a passenger canceling a cruise and not the cruiseline by offering a moveover?

From the OP......Were we not talking about a passenger canceling a cruise and not the cruiseline by offering a moveover?

I just know of several cases where someone with out insurance called Princess to cancel a cruise at the last minute with out insurance and the cruise was oversold so Princess refunded their money or offered to let them cruise later. The cruise line was looking for volunteers and all of a sudden, someone calls and can't make it - win, win for both situations. Like I said, it can happen when "Princess benefits".

I just know of several cases where someone with out insurance called Princess to cancel a cruise at the last minute with out insurance and the cruise was oversold so Princess refunded their money or offered to let them cruise later. The cruise line was looking for volunteers and all of a sudden, someone calls and can't make it - win, win for both situations. Like I said, it can happen when "Princess benefits".

I guess there are always exceptions to the rule.

I suspect they bought Princess insurance without realizing it. If you cancel for "any reason," the amount goes on your Captain's Circle account and you have a year to use it.

What you describe is normal if you have Princess insurance. Not normal if you don't.

I agree. In any case, the passengers in question will get port charges refunded.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

If you don't pay attention when booking, insurance is often added as default. I suspect that may have happened. The injury would be a covered reason..

In this case, that would be a great mistake.

In this case, that would be a great mistake.
In this case, if they "accidentally" bought and paid for insurance and now they need it, that's definitely not a mistake. IMHO, it's never a mistake to get cruise insurance.

If you book directly with the cruise line and don't use a TA, you're assuming all responsibility for possible booking errors or unintentional add-ons. Buyer beware.

What I preach is that if there are any doubts and I mean even the slightest doubt that you need to cancel then fork over the small amount compared to the thousands you spent on your vacation.

The cruisline is under NO obligation to give your friends a refund or Future Cruise Credit. The contract specifically states that failure to purchase insurance whether from the cruiseline or third party basically waives any rights you have in terms of getting a refund.

While I am sympathetic for your friends this is a great lesson as to why you need insurance. I can think of even small reasons why a cruise may not go as planned to major ones such as losing your passport the day before to feeling sick or being hospitalized.

Your Friends at this point are only due their port taxes and fees and nothing else. If Princess were to extend a "one time only" Future Cruise Credit then that is very generous and is not to be expected. I would have your friend work with their travel agent to see what if anything can be done.

Please keep us posted.

Why would you not ensure you have insurance when you book? and not trust to luck!.

In the UK it is a condition of booking that you have insurance in place.

Accidents can happen (or worse) on any holiday, and the cost of hospitals (or ships Doctors) and repatriation can be crippling financially.

I understand ships medical charges are so high because they expect people to have insurance

We have an annual travel insurance which covers up to 30 days at a time world wide (including USA), it costs £224 a year for my wife and I (Joyce is 81 and I am 79).

Many UK sold travel insurance policies exclude travel to the US because of high medical costs

Alan

Why would you not ensure you have insurance when you book? and not trust to luck!.

In the UK it is a condition of booking that you have insurance in place.

Accidents can happen (or worse) on any holiday, and the cost of hospitals (or ships Doctors) and repatriation can be crippling financially.

I understand ships medical charges are so high because they expect people to have insurance

We have an annual travel insurance which covers up to 30 days at a time world wide (including USA), it costs £224 a year for my wife and I (Joyce is 81 and I am 79).

Many UK sold travel insurance policies exclude travel to the US because of high medical costs

Alan

I was warned to purchase International Travel Insurance as Australian Medicare doesn't cover Medical Evacuations from Cruise Ships, even though it's a Coastal Cruise AUD$206 for peace of mind is priceless IMHO, and with multiple medical conditions, I take no chances!

There's plenty of advice on how to protect yourself, and bring essential gear with you on Cruise Critic-I've been able to help a friend by sharing knowledge I gained from a Cruise Critic Forum post, and taken note to make sure my spongebag is fully stocked so I don't need to worry on the cruise, I can concentrate on enjoying my new experiences!

Crochetcruise :cool: