RCI v NCL

aimish

RCCL is my favorite line and NCL is my least favorite line, go RCCL ( but I am sure if you post this on NCL you will get other responses) also read the reviews of both ships, one of the many reasons I hate NCL is there anytime dinning.

It all comes down to how much time you want to spend....on the cruise....in Bermuda and...on the ship. We did the (5) day to Bermuda last September and it was beautiful but I admit I would like more time there. I've been tempted to try it again on NCL. Whatever you decide, please come back and let us know.

RCCL is my favorite line and NCL is my least favorite line, go RCCL ( but I am sure if you post this on NCL you will get other responses) also read the reviews of both ships, one of the many reasons I hate NCL is there anytime dinning.

yes George ......... Unfortunately I are going the same way.

It's called dynamic dining.

and they're going to introduce on all ships in the near future ......

sorry you old dinosaur !!!

PS. The dinosaur thing was a joke

that's how I'm being treated because

they've got rid of formal gala nights

on Quantum class ships.

Edited by Stitchman

We are about to do our first on RCCL. One of the things we like on NCL is the anytime dining and not looking forward to fixed times on RCCL To each their own, right?

I would always pick 7 days over 5.

We sail both going back and forth between NCL and RCCL.

Breakaways sister Getaway is my kids (currently 13 and 10) most favorite ship ever including Oasis, Allure and Getaway.

Having the slides and ropes course made sea days go by to quickly.

Just keep in mind the standard balcony on Breakaway is tiny.

Here is a amazing spreadsheet someone else put together

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkRUeqCmOMnGdFZWTVVzZndrc0NkN1N0TGpZb2ZYU2c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice

We are about to do our first on RCCL. One of the things we like on NCL is the anytime dining and not looking forward to fixed times on RCCL To each their own, right?

RCCL gives you the choice, you do not have to do fixed. NCL that is only option, I admit it been years since last NCL cruise but I am not going to try them again, I have cruised many lines and will continue to cruise many lines. ( NCL was one of my favorite lines in 80's and 90's cruised them 13 times, maybe 13 time was unlucky) , lover the old SS Norway did her 7 times

NCL deals are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than RC right now -- for me it would be a no brainer. NCL on breakaway

Ditto...

I loved Getaway and anytime dining was fine...we bought the dining package, before it was a promo, and LOVED it..

If you look at the boards they have, or get the iConcierge app, you can see what restaurants are busy...or not....

I think 5 day cruises are too short...by the time you're in cruise mode, it's time to pack...

I'd go for the longer cruise on Breakaway...

It's called dynamic dining.

and they're going to introduce on all ships in the near future ......

sorry you old dinosaur !!!

I have not seen this information anywhere. Most reports have been that they WON'T introduce it on all their ships. Can you cite a source?

It's called My Time Dining on Royal. Maybe you can still book it.

Not been on the Breakaway, but have been on the Getaway. We enjoyed some things, not so others.

We really liked the buffet and the freestyle dining - always do MTD on Royal. One of my favourite things on the Getaway was dining at Cagney's outside (you can sit inside if you want to. The dining rooms do get very busy around 7.30pm.

The entertainment was similar on both ships, I love the ice shows on Royal and the comedy club on NCL - IMHO NCL entertainment was better overall.

Worst thing about the Getaway was the jogging track. Due to the ship layout it was unusable during the day due to it being short and it's location.

We have the Breakaway booked in November/December 2015 for 19 nights - much better deal than Royal.

Pete

It's called My Time Dining on Royal. Maybe you can still book it.

Royal's "My Time Dining" is totally different than NCL or Carnival's anytime dining where there are absolutely no reservations - you arrive at the dining room whenever you want, usually with no wait to be seating, unless you arrive at prime time, but even then we have never had to wait. I have read so many posts from people having long wait times with RCI's ATD if they don't make reservations - which is totally contrary to ATD IMHO :(

If you have not tried NCL, please do. While we are diamond+ on RCI, we are not sailing much on them the last 4 years due to price and the fact that we have come to prefer much of what NCL has to offer over RCI. It is good to use multiple lines, and things do change over the years unfortunately or fortunately.

GO give NCL a try and find out for yourself. NO cruise line is all good or all bad.

Royal's "My Time Dining" is totally different than NCL or Carnival's anytime dining where there are absolutely no reservations - you arrive at the dining room whenever you want, usually with no wait to be seating, unless you arrive at prime time, but even then we have never had to wait. I have read so many posts from people having long wait times with RCI's ATD if they don't make reservations - which is totally contrary to ATD IMHO :(

Out the last half dozen cruises having MTD, there was only one night we waited and that was on the Allure after a show let out. Why not try it if you don't like traditional?

Sorry, just realised you didn't post the original comment I was responding to.

Edited by Big_G

I have actually been on the Breakaway to Bermuda a few times and enjoyed it, but think I may be a little bored if I go on it again, that's why I was thinking of going with RCI, just for some variety. My girls (ages 11 & 12) have not been on NCL yet, but have been on Quantum.

I was kind of hoping there'd be a definite front-runner here, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Y'all are pretty split on which to choose :)

Not true-- I was on the breakaway and had dining reservations EVERY NIGHT. I found that without reservations, many restaurants were totally booked. It's the one aspect of the cruise I didn't like: not "freestyle" if you need reservations to eat dinner.

I tried to change a few reservations mid-cruise and could only make them after 9pm.

NCL deals are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than RC right now -- for me it would be a no brainer. NCL on breakaway

I totally agree with this post. Great deals on NCL right now. I have been on both lines and I am booked on both lines in the future as well.

However, if itinerary is also important to you, then that could sway you one way or another. We are booked on Adventure which has an amazing itinerary.

Re food: we had heard NCL food was not as good as RCCL but did not find that to be true. NCL has a really good buffet.

RCCL we are booked in a promenade room which we have had before. Last time, with family, we had connecting rooms and it was great. We loved being able to look out our promenade window and see all the parades and anything else going on. Like front row seats. Promenade quietens right down at night so no problem sleeping. And best of all, is the price since it is priced as an inside room.

I'd go with NCL Breakaway. You said your kids weren't on NCL before, so even though you have been, this would be the first time you were on Breakaway with them. It will be a completely different experience for you, and there is more for them to enjoy on-board, plus an extra day in Bermuda. It's a win/win!