Depressed...Royal pulls out of New Orleans today

When Serenade departs New Orleans today, Royal has once again abandoned the city as a departure port. This is sad, as sailing out of New Orleans is one of my favorite departures. I love sailing down the river all afternoon and evening before reaching the Gulf of Mexico. I know it's a business decision, but when I was on Serenade last month for 14 days, no one really had an answer as to why they're leaving. There is nothing listed out of New Orleans for the next couple of years. Meanwhile, that "other" cruise line has announced that they're bringing in a bigger ship to New Orleans, so there is an obvious demand. Please, Royal, reconsider and come back to New Orleans...

Peter

We love sailing out of NO too! I have heard that some people hate the long trip to the Gulf, but we found it very interesting!

We sailed on the NCL Jewel last Feb out of NO and absolutely loved it! It looks like you cruise just RCI, but know there are other options out of NO! NCL Jewel was one of our favorite cruises and we cruise mostly RCI too.

Lauri

When Serenade departs New Orleans today, Royal has once again abandoned the city as a departure port. This is sad, as sailing out of New Orleans is one of my favorite departures. I love sailing down the river all afternoon and evening before reaching the Gulf of Mexico. I know it's a business decision, but when I was on Serenade last month for 14 days, no one really had an answer as to why they're leaving. There is nothing listed out of New Orleans for the next couple of years. Meanwhile, that "other" cruise line has announced that they're bringing in a bigger ship to New Orleans, so there is an obvious demand. Please, Royal, reconsider and come back to New Orleans...

Peter

Yes, strange decision by RCL, to give up on NO while NCL with 1 ship, and Carnival with 2 ships continue.

The Carnival Dream, and the NCL Dawn are 2 nice ships this fall to take away your pain.:)

It's always fun to spend a few extra days pre/post cruise in New Orleans. I've heard every excuse from port fees, catering issues, too expensive to have a pilot on board for the 7-hour trip down the river, etc. All excuses, since those costs are just passed along to the passengers in the fares. If other cruise lines can do it, I'm not buying those excuses! LOL I have found fares out of New Orleans to be slightly higher than those out of Galveston, but they are adding a LARGER ship in Galveston!? Perhaps they think the New Orleans passengers will go to Galveston? No thanks! Oh well. I guess this is how those on the west coast felt when losing RCCL cruises. I live in Chicago, so it's not like my "home port" or anything. But, it is one of my favorites.....

Peter

My DW and I were more than happy to fly into N.O. from Ohio to sail from its port. We loved the time spent in the city and traveling on the Mississippi. We were just on Serenade in December. We also cruised there on Voyager. RCI has to do what's best for business but we are disappointed that they pulled out of L.A. and now N.O.

We have no interest in sailing out of Galveston. We prefer Radiance and Voyager class ships, plus getting into and out of Galveston is not the easiest port to do.

Edited by cruisingsince94

When we lived in NOLA in 2013/2014, I read that the Port, starting sometime by the end of this year, is going to rebuild a terminal that was destroyed in Katrina and that new terminal would be used by RCI and Princess sometime in the next two years. As a matter of fact, I believe when Serenade had the fire recently with the water damage and wasn't given the all clear to leave port but had to stay an extra night and had to stay in port but had to move to an old dock, it was that dock/terminal (sorry for the run on sentence). Fingers crossed this happens. NOLA was such a well organized cruise terminal. :)

When we lived in NOLA in 2013/2014, I read that the Port, starting sometime by the end of this year, is going to rebuild a terminal that was destroyed in Katrina and that new terminal would be used by RCI and Princess sometime in the next two years. As a matter of fact, I believe when Serenade had the fire recently with the water damage and wasn't given the all clear to leave port but had to stay an extra night and had to stay in port but had to move to an old dock, it was that dock/terminal (sorry for the run on sentence). Fingers crossed this happens. NOLA was such a well organized cruise terminal. :)

I hope your right. We love the city, enjoyed the port area, and loved traversing the Mississippi.

A new terminal would be fantastic. Fingers crossed! I believe Celebrity has a cruise that overnights in New Orleans in Feb 2017, but it's a port of call, and not originating there.

Peter

Yes--that cruise stays 2 nights [parts of 3 days] during Mardi Gras. :D

I'm looking at Live Ship Maps right now (11:15 PM) and the Serenade which left New Orleans this afternoon is about 75 miles south in the river and has turned around and looks like it is trying to dock in Boothville.

It looks like it was drifting backwards down the river for a short way.

Wonder what's up?

Edited by tallyho8

One of the reasons my next cruise is on Carnival Dream. Carnival is doubling down on NOLA while RCCL is leaving.

RCL would probably get more demand in NOLA if they stopped copying the Galveston Itineraries. We're spending 3 nights in NOLA in late October pre-cruise on Carnival, because they go to Progreso. While I like Royal's expansion into Miami and San Juan, steadily hitting the ABC islands, Carnival is being competitive also with their 9-13 day "Journey" cruises and throwback features.

I'm looking at Live Ship Maps right now (11:15 PM) and the Serenade which left New Orleans this afternoon is about 75 miles south in the river and has turned around and looks like it is trying to dock in Boothville.

It looks like it was drifting backwards down the river for a short way.

Wonder what's up?

Still in the River... captured this a few minutes ago...

25he1bo.jpg

My wife is onboard. She was told by Guest Relations that a ship in front of them was stalled and they couldn't move past as there wasn't enough room. She said they were anchored. I talked to her last at 2:30 this morning.

We just cruised on Serenade a month ago and were thrilled to walk to the terminal from the Embassy Suites. We also were able to catch an 820am flight to get home after the cruise. I can't imagine an easier on and off experience. Not to mention it's shorter to get to New Orleans than south Florida from where we live (like you, Anita) in south Alaska:rolleyes: I think they're short on ships right now due to many being sent to Asia and a couple being sold. Hope they're back in NOLA soon !

Edited by MindyJohn