Britannia Cruise Review 28th March. Very long review.........

kevinyork

Kevin your review went down very well and I have selected some comments for you to see..

Thank you for this fantastic report, a very fair truthful one.

An absolutely brilliant review, the best I've ever read I think.....AND you've answered a few of the questions I had....THANK YOU!!!! :)

An excellent report and very informative

This must be the best review of a ship I've ever read, so thank you for taking the time. What a good memory you must have to cover everything so comprehensively. Looking forward to seeing some of your pics now. Roll on 13th June.

I was on that cruise and found myself nodding away. I had some slightly different experiences, due to travelling with children regarding pools and sun loungers and did experience some very rude people (one elderly lady terrified my 5yr old ranting about a mobility scooter), but overall i'd agree this review is fair and accurate. Definitely worth a read if you're still considering her.

Thank you for really constructive comments. Being a scotoer user I am concerned about the lifts but lets hope they get it sorted by the time we board in October.

Love your review - I really liked Britannia when I went on for a short 2 night trip - and discovered the lack of midship stairs, but I just got used to either using the aft or fwd stairway, but can see this being an issue with people with mobility issues - however those without mobility issues could easily do what I did, freeing up the mid ship lifts for those that actually really need them!

Cheers

Dai

Edited by daiB

How was the weather? We are on her in three weeks time to the Canary Islands. Any places you recommend looking out for?

We didnt expect good weather till we reached Madeira but once we got there it was pleasant all around the canaries. Certainly hot enough for sunbathing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin your review went down very well and I have selected some comments for you to see..

Thank you for this fantastic report, a very fair truthful one.

An absolutely brilliant review, the best I've ever read I think.....AND you've answered a few of the questions I had....THANK YOU!!!! :)

An excellent report and very informative

This must be the best review of a ship I've ever read, so thank you for taking the time. What a good memory you must have to cover everything so comprehensively. Looking forward to seeing some of your pics now. Roll on 13th June.

I was on that cruise and found myself nodding away. I had some slightly different experiences, due to travelling with children regarding pools and sun loungers and did experience some very rude people (one elderly lady terrified my 5yr old ranting about a mobility scooter), but overall i'd agree this review is fair and accurate. Definitely worth a read if you're still considering her.

Thank you for really constructive comments. Being a scotoer user I am concerned about the lifts but lets hope they get it sorted by the time we board in October.

Love your review - I really liked Britannia when I went on for a short 2 night trip - and discovered the lack of midship stairs, but I just got used to either using the aft or fwd stairway, but can see this being an issue with people with mobility issues - however those without mobility issues could easily do what I did, freeing up the mid ship lifts for those that actually really need them!

Cheers

Dai

Thanks Dai for the feedback.

Am I right in thinking that if you use the forward stairs you wouldn't need to use the lifts to get around? We have a forward cabin booked! :)

You are correct. We had a cabin between the Forward and Midships lifts on B Deck and generally used the stairs adjacent to the forward lift...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/30/britannia-the-maiden-cruise/

We never experienced any problems with lifts when we actually wanted to use them. It's my view that the whole issue has been blown out of all proportion.

There are alternatives to the midships lifts if one's priority is haste.

Am I right in thinking that if you use the forward stairs you wouldn't need to use the lifts to get around? We have a forward cabin booked! :)

Yes thats right, apart from if you are dining in the Oriental Restaurant as you can only access that by the aft lift and stairs.

One could of course use the forward section lift or stairs as far as 7 Deck and walk aft past the Atrium to the stairs leading to the Oriental Restaurant.

16334731644_b555f6083f_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

Thanks for the great balanced review and pics. We have a midship cabin on our cruise in October so shame about the lack of staircase there. We never use the lifts apart from the self disembark at Southampton so thankfully the lift situation won't bother us. If we were going to the front or back of the ship we tended to walk to the relevant staircase along the corridor of our floor so hopefully won't be too bad.

Can't believe you can't access your onboard account and other interactive services on the TV in the cabin that would bother me more than the lifts.

Looking forward to trying lots of the new things she has to offer.

Did you happen to know the cost of the retreat?

The cost of the retreat was £400 for a couple for the 2 weeks or £240 for a single person. A one day pass was also available for £25 each person.

One could of course use the forward section lift or stairs as far as 7 Deck and walk aft past the Atrium to the stairs leading to the Oriental Restaurant.

16334731644_b555f6083f_z.jpg

Yes, exactly as I said. Lift or stairs.

Very interesting review, thanks for posting. I was considering P&O Britannia due to Caribbean itinerary based in Barbados, ideal staring point and avoiding the US ports is a definite plus, but your comments with regard to hygiene is really concerning.

The cost of the retreat was £400 for a couple for the 2 weeks or £240 for a single person. A one day pass was also available for £25 each person.

What blatant discrimination against solo travellers (or those that want to get away from their partners for a while :)). How can they justify charging more for 1 person?

How can they justify charging more for 1 person?

The same way that travel companies have hammered couples with no children for years who have to pay horrific supplements for accommodation should they just need something for 2 people. (Said with feeling due to experience).

I suppose it comes with the territory.

Is it right? That's another question

The same way that travel companies have hammered couples with no children for years who have to pay horrific supplements for accommodation should they just need something for 2 people. (Said with feeling due to experience).

I suppose it comes with the territory.

Is it right? That's another question

Presto, I had never thought about that before but you are correct. We had to pay over the odds for villas, apartments etc for many years when we holidayed on land as a couple.:mad:

Excellent review. I think the ship looks fantastic, despite the few little nagging issues. Some things which would bother me:

1. The aft pool being teenagers only. Does it specifically say on the pool that it is only for teens? Seems a bit odd.

2. The Market Cafe. This is something which I can't comprehend. On pretty much every other cruise line, they have a 24 hour cafe with free food available around the atrium area. On P&O, you have to pay for the item or buy a specialty coffee to get it for free.

If they can give 24 hour free food in the buffet and a free 'grab n go' station on the pool deck, why can't they do it in the atrium? I liked on Royal Caribbean and Princess to go late at night and sit down in the atrium with a cold drink and a panini. I can't do that on P&O without paying extra.

3. Pool deck food. This isn't a P&O problem per se, but I feel Britannia will suffer more than others due to the amount of offerings. It's all well and good having a burger bar and pre-packed sandwiches, but the problem I found on Ventura was that people were messy with it, and you would find fries and other food mashed into the deck. Not nice when you're walking often barefoot to and from the pool. Also I have visions of 'grab n go' wrappers being blown all over the place due to lazy people not knowing how to use a bin :mad:

Royal Caribbean have the right idea by keeping food away from the outer decks.

Edited by littlesteelo

Excellent review. I think the ship looks fantastic, despite the few little nagging issues. Some things which would bother me:

1. The aft pool being teenagers only. Does it specifically say on the pool that it is only for teens? Seems a bit odd. DID NOT SEE A SIGN BUT THE CAPTAIN MENTIONED IT AT MUSTER. IT MAY HAVE JUST BEEN FOR OUR EASTER HOLIDAY CRUISE DUE TO THE HIGH NUMBER OF KIDS ONBOARD. IN ANY CASE ITS NOT REALLY A POOL, ITS A SQUARE JACUZZI WITHOUT BUBBLES BUT WITH OPPOSING BENCHES IN IT. THE AREA AROUND IT IS NICE WITH GOOD SEATING AND LOUNGERS.

2. The Market Cafe. This is something which I can't comprehend. On pretty much every other cruise line, they have a 24 hour cafe with free food available around the atrium area. On P&O, you have to pay for the item or buy a specialty coffee to get it for free.

If they can give 24 hour free food in the buffet and a free 'grab n go' station on the pool deck, why can't they do it in the atrium? I liked on Royal Caribbean and Princess to go late at night and sit down in the atrium with a cold drink and a panini. I can't do that on P&O without paying extra. ACTUALLY NOTHING IS FREE FROM THE MARKET CAFE. ALL DRINKS AND FOOD ARE CHARGEABLE. JAVA UPSTAIRS OFFERS FREE CAKES WITH THE PURCHASE OF A DRINK BUT IT CLOSES AROUND 6PM.

3. Pool deck food. This isn't a P&O problem per se, but I feel Britannia will suffer more than others due to the amount of offerings. It's all well and good having a burger bar and pre-packed sandwiches, but the problem I found on Ventura was that people were messy with it, and you would find fries and other food mashed into the deck. Not nice when you're walking often barefoot to and from the pool. Also I have visions of 'grab n go' wrappers being blown all over the place due to lazy people not knowing how to use a bin :mad:

Royal Caribbean have the right idea by keeping food away from the outer decks. WE DIDNT SEE ANY EVIDENCE OF THIS AND THE STAFF WERE ALWAYS WANDERING AROUND AND CLEARING TRAYS AND PLATES AWAY FROM THE POOL DECK

I don't like the direction that P&O seem to be heading regading now charging for things that used to be free. For example on Ventura you had 3 main entertainment venues, the theatre, the Havana entertainment lounge and the Tamarind club caberet venue. On Britannia they now charge for the 3rd venue :mad:

I suppose they may well try and restrict access to the Glasshouse to those who have reserved meals. As this is meant to be a BAR where you can buy food if you wish, it would, IMO, be a retrograde step. along with the bar being smaller than on other ships.

BTW looking at the deck plans it appears the bar in Sindhu is available to people who are not dining there. Is this correct?

I don't like the direction that P&O seem to be heading regading now charging for things that used to be free. For example on Ventura you had 3 main entertainment venues, the theatre, the Havana entertainment lounge and the Tamarind club caberet venue. On Britannia they now charge for the 3rd venue :mad:

I suppose they may well try and restrict access to the Glasshouse to those who have reserved meals. As this is meant to be a BAR where you can buy food if you wish, it would, IMO, be a retrograde step. along with the bar being smaller than on other ships.

BTW looking at the deck plans it appears the bar in Sindhu is available to people who are not dining there. Is this correct?

I do agree with you. The 'middle' showbar has been turned into The Limelight club, chargeable and only one performance whereas on Azura/Ventura it would feature two free performances each evening.

Glass House is smaller than on Azura and not as nicely laid out. There were some just resting in the seats, some drinking and some eating. There is an overflow area which could be opened but it was pretty dark and uninteresting. Im sure Olly Smith must have been disappointed with how it turned out.

Sindhu is vast. About twice the size of the one on Azura. There is a bar area in front of the restaurant with nice seats where you can partake in a drink or have the Sindhu Nashta nibbles at lunch. Given that it never looked anywhere near to a third full the Sindhu restaurant is oversized IMO.

Ive mentioned that I think The Limelight Club would have been a perfect area for The Glass House. Alternatively The Glass House could have been positioned where the deserted Market Cafe is.

US lines are heading more towards speciality restaurants and seem popular but Im not sure UK passengers are ready to pay more onboard for food to the same extent. Or maybe thats just our view.

Very interesting review, thanks for posting. I was considering P&O Britannia due to Caribbean itinerary based in Barbados, ideal staring point and avoiding the US ports is a definite plus, but your comments with regard to hygiene is really concerning.

Shame there is no 'quote' link. I'd be interested having enjoyed a great maiden Cruise on Britannia...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/30/britannia-the-maiden-cruise/

and never witnessed anything amiss with hygiene.

Onwards and upwards Dave. As we used to say in the Royal Navy, different ships, different cap tallies..

I can certainly confirm for you that Sindhu's bar is available to non snide diners. Its actually quite fun.

But back to the Limelight Club. My wife and I did two shows there, Kiki Dee and and Madeline Bell. They were both brilliant nights, well worth the additional charge and the real joy was one didn't have to fight for a seat...

16748362297_dbc2495dd2_z.jpg

the real joy was one didn't have to fight for a seat...

16748362297_dbc2495dd2_z.jpg

Thats because the rest of the ship were fighting for a seat elsewhere as a paid for venue had taken space away.