PPG as OBC

Paulchili

I know that this subject has been discussed as part of some other threads but I feel that it deserves a tread of its own.

On this cruise I fortunate enough to be in a situation that I have not encountered myself before - I had PPGs from 3 different sources.

One came from my TA, the second one was from my Gold O club benefit and the third one was part of Your World (YW) promotion for this cruise.

I knew that as I became a Silver before 1/1/2013, I was entitled to a full amount of OBC for a second PPG but I wasn't sure what would happen with the third one.

Initially I did not receive the third PPG at all (it was the Your World promotion one). After making some inquiries with my TA, I was given an additional $300. I am wondering how they came to this specific amount because it is neither the $250 that some receive as additional OBC for PPG nor is it a full amount (it should be $616 for this 14 day cruise).

Has anyone encountered the same situation before - i.e. was given 3 PPG? If so, I would like to know how this was handled.

In addition, I have a question about how is it determined which of these 3 PPGs will go toward the staff gratuity and which ones are given as OBC. Specifically - is it always the PPG from TA that becomes the gratuity or can it be the one for status or Your World one?

The reason I ask this that I believe (but I am not sure) that OBC from TA is refundable but that from Oceania is not. Thus, if the gratuity was satisfied by either the PPG from status or YW then the PPG from TA can be a refundable OBC.

I know that this is a first world problem but I have this exact situation coming up on my next 2 cruises and thus would like to know what my options are. I certainly have more OBC than I need as we do not drink nor do we take many (if any) shorex's. I would prefer to get some of this "good fortune" returned to me in cash or as a discount for the cruise.

Any of your similar experiences are appreciated.

What on earth is a PPG or YW?

Whatever it is, we prefer a discount on the fare which we seem to get more of in the UK than you get in the US methinks.

PPG is Pre Paid Gratuities. YW is a Your World Offer promotion that is offered on some cruises. It usually consists of 3 parts - PPG, Free Internet and some OBC.

Paul, Why oh why do you not have your TA either give you additional OBC or a cash rebate for what they pay for the OBC?? Anything that the TA gives you that is paid in FULL by the TA should be refundable based on many previous posts regarding fully paid for perks by the TA or others.

Now I'll possibly answer my own question, I'm guessing that the gratuities that your TA is "giving" you is partially subsidized by Oceania and thus is not refundable and the TA is unable to change their gratuities to anything else as they are controlled by the cruise line. This is similar to the Amex Platinum OBC benefit which is also partially or fully subsidized by the cruise line and based on recent reports is not now combinable with other OBC's.

In case the above is true you could still ask the TA to provide refundable OBC or rebate in the amount the TA does contribute to the pre-paid gratuities. And, perhaps it is all cruise line paid thru a Contract with the TA and the TA in actuality has no part of providing the TA's gratuities.

Lots of possibilities and your TA should have the answers to these questions and guide you thru a solution. None of us here have full insight to these issues and these are simply opinions based reading on this and other boards. YMMV.

Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I believe that you are correct. The card I received onboard re: gratuities lists my TA AND Oceania as the source.

I plan on speaking to my TA when I return. Hence, all this information is helpful to me. Even if the TA does not provide the full PPG, I would rather receive it as refundable OBC or cash rebate as I have 2 other sources for PPG (at least on the next 2 cruises).

This was the first time I had 3 PPGs so I wasn't sure what would happen. Now I know and I want to be ready for the next cruise

Edited by Paulchili

Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I believe that you are correct. The card I received onboard re: gratuities lists my TA AND Oceania as the source.

I plan on speaking to my TA when I return. Hence, all this information is helpful to me. Even if the TA does not provide the full PPG, I would rather receive it as refundable OBC or cash rebate as I have 2 other sources for PPG (at least on the next 2 cruises).

This was the first time I had 3 PPGs so I wasn't sure what would happen. Now I know and I want to be ready for the next cruise

Your's is a wonderful problem to have.

We had a very substantial OBC left over on our last b/b/b. What to do?? We had the ship hire a limo for us upon disembarkation at Vancouver and drive us in luxury to Seattle. The cost was outrageous but totally paid by our OBC. Heavenly and certainly better than leaving it on the table.

Edited by orchestrapal

Paul,

We have had 3 PPG on cruises and none are refundable. I think the one from your TA is really part of a group booking benefit.

They have always given us the full value of the PPG for our Silver/Gold level, $300 for the promotional PPG and I assume our TA PPG goes to gratuities.

Actually, for us, the billing just lists the value of the all the PPGs and then there is a deduction for the gratuities so take your choice as to who pays it.

As to using up the credit, the women in our family make out like bandits as we use it up buying costume jewelery and cologne as gifts to them. They are always asking when our next cruise is.:D There is really not much for men except ridiculously expensive clothing.

Paul,

We have had 3 PPG on cruises and none are refundable. I think the one from your TA is really part of a group booking benefit.

They have always given us the full value of the PPG for our Silver/Gold level, $300 for the promotional PPG and I assume our TA PPG goes to gratuities.

Actually, for us, the billing just lists the value of the all the PPGs and then there is a deduction for the gratuities so take your choice as to who pays it.

As to using up the credit, the women in our family make out like bandits as we use it up buying costume jewelery and cologne as gifts to them. They are always asking when our next cruise is.:D There is really not much for men except ridiculously expensive clothing.

Good to hear that you had the same situation resolved in the same manner. It would then seem that this is indeed their policy.

We too will spend it in a similar way but will try to get the TA PPG as a rebate/discount in the future, if we can (whatever the amount will be).

No need for triple PPG.

[quote name=rallydave;46238117

Now I'll possibly answer my own question' date=' I'm guessing that the gratuities that your TA is "giving" you is partially subsidized by Oceania and thus is not refundable and the TA is unable to change their gratuities to anything else as they are controlled by the cruise line. This is similar to the Amex Platinum OBC benefit which is also partially or fully subsidized by the cruise line and based on recent reports is not now combinable with other OBC's.

[/quote]

Yes - Oceania won't credit you any other benefit if they are already giving you a special offer. We were offered on onboard credit, Prepaid Gratuities and I paid via Amex Platnium and our fare was then denied all of the above benefits because they disallowed them based on the contract with the travel agents consortium special. I feel that the card benefit for Amex is almost useless now. It's always denied with PPG and YW as was my last cruise with them.

PPG is Pre Paid Gratuities. YW is a Your World Offer promotion that is offered on some cruises. It usually consists of 3 parts - PPG, Free Internet and some OBC.

Thank you for that. We got PPG (!) and Free Internet on our Oceania cruise but no OBC. Not getting any of that this next time, but a very good deal nevertheless.

Our TA has always given us a rebate check 7 days after. We are at the point of 10 cruises so will now get PPG included, plus the extra OBC. I think the rebate is the way to go as it eliminates the issue of -- is it O or TA money.

Last cruise O gave us an extra $600 in OBC plus PPG for the Insignia fire cancellation, so let just say me and DW have a lifetime supply of Riviera gear :)

They need to come up with a new plan for Oceania Club members or stop the Your World promo that includes the same benefits

Maybe give O club member that have 10 + cruise a discount in the cruise fare equal to PPG ;)

I have an answer from Oceania re: the reason for the amount of the 3rd PPG at $300. Apparently this one is from the TA as part of a group booking. This amount varies with the length of a cruise - less than 9 days it is $200, up to 18? days it is $300 and more for longer cruises. It is non-refundable. So, it is not a set amount.

It helps me to understand what is what and I hope it will help others in the same situation.

They need to come up with a new plan for Oceania Club members or stop the Your World promo that includes the same benefits

Maybe give O club member that have 10 + cruise a discount in the cruise fare equal to PPG ;)

Would love that.:D