hot dogs

cruisnuts

We went on the galley tour a few times and were told that everything is made on board. All the breads are fresh baked, ice cream is made in board, pastries and etc. They buy full carcasses of beef, pigs, lamb and etc and do their own butchering, and make their own sausages. So I woud think that they make their own.

happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Products like hot dogs and bologna would be a bit too complicated and time intensive for production on a ship. Unlike simple sausages where the meats and spices are simply ground and then formed into patties or stuffed into casings hot dogs go through another step called emulsification where the ground meats and spices are reduced to what is not unlike a very fine smoothie.

I am sure the cruise lines order from a major supplier and have their dogs made in huge amounts to a certain standard and with a certain spice mix. Although they could be produced by a name brand manufacturer I doubt if the exact same hot dogs could be purchased from any retail sources.

Items like breakfast sausages are so similar in taste from cruise line to cruise line that I am sure they are purchased frozen in bulk. I make most of my own sausages and even following a recipe I notice some difference in taste and texture so I find it hard that each ship whether it is RCCL or HAL or whatever can produce such perfectly similar products not only from line to line but from ship to ship.

Salami, bologna and other cold cut "lunchmeat" products served on board most assuredly are purchased in the whole and only get sliced on the ship.

Most meats that are served, like steaks, arrive in cryo-packaging as whole strips, whole roasts, whole prime ribs or other cuts which get further broken down into individual servings or what you may see at the carving stations. Breaking down whole beefs is again very labor intensive and produces a lot of waste.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I enjoyed the hot dogs so much that I asked the F & B Mgr who made them, he took me to the Head Chef who said that the hot dogs where Nathans.

It's so nice of Nathan to share. They are delicious.

Have not and will not ever eat a hotdog on a cruise. There is way too much good stuff to bother with that. I'll try some Nathan's at home one day just to see.

Nathan's retails 8 different types of hot dogs. Most are all beef. Most are skinless like the ones served on ships and then there is the original natural casing frank which is the Coney Island style, they snap back when you bite them..LOL

Hope you enjoy them.

bosco

As a Brooklyn native I've been eating Nathan's since childhood, and the hot dog I had last week on Reflection did not resemble a Nathan's hot dog.

Nothing like a Sabrett's pushcart dog for breakfast, a Nathan's frank (and fries) at Coney Island for lunch and a few squares from L & B's Spumoni Gardens for dinner.

I really miss Brooklyn.

bosco

Come to Chicago for a dog from the Kosher butcher shop in my neighborhood- deliciousness ! And we have Vienna and Hebrew National too. Only in Chicago can you get a dog on a poppyseed bun and with bright neon green pickle relish and a sprinkler of celery salt on top!

Come to Chicago for a dog from the Kosher butcher shop in my neighborhood- deliciousness ! And we have Vienna and Hebrew National too. Only in Chicago can you get a dog on a poppyseed bun and with bright neon green pickle relish and a sprinkler of celery salt on top!

With tomatoes, mustard, onion, sport peppers and never ever ketchup. No self respecting individual will ever put ketchup on a hotdog.

We've had Nathan's before -- the ones that come in the 8-pack. The ones on Celebrity, while they may be a different kind of Nathan's, are bigger and meatier. I have them slice it down the middle and fold it out and place it back on the grill. Some of them get annoyed when I do that, but too bad. I like the grill marks on them. :)

Nothing like a Sabrett's pushcart dog for breakfast, a Nathan's frank (and fries) at Coney Island for lunch and a few squares from L & B's Spumoni Gardens for dinner.

I really miss Brooklyn.

bosco

You are making me hungry and nostalgic now. Those fries hot from the stand in Coney Island -- wow, I really miss them. What Nathan's sells now is a poor imitation.

Nathans%20Coney%20Island_zps1ltasyiw.jpg

photo appears on this web site:

http://www.westland.net/coneyisland/articles/food.htm

I really miss Brooklyn.

bosco

Just change that breakfast pushcart dog to a bagel and lox from Russ & Daughters, and it's a perfect day for me :)

If we scratched the bagel for a good bialy I'd skip the Sabrett's as well. LOL

bosco

LOL - it's funny you should say that. Russ & Daughters usually runs out of bialys VERY early, so that's why I said bagel.

I prefer bialys as well :D