Misc questions about Solstice/Celebrity

GatorMomInNC

My husband and I cruised Celebrity once before, but it was a long time ago and before we had kids. Now we are going on the Solstice 11 night Ultimate Alaska cruise in September with our 8 and 11 year old sons and my mother. As usual, these boards have been very helpful, but I still have some questions:

1) We don't want to pack dressy clothes, so I plan to eat in specialty dining on the formal nights. I suspect the 2nd night and one of the other at sea nights will be formal, so I called Celebrity and booked the Murano for 2nd night and Silk Harvest for the 8th night (for a total of $70 pp). BUT, I have seen references on this board to some package that they offer once you get on board - something like 3 nights for $90?? I have some OBC so should cancel and book when I get on board? I guess worse case scenario they are sold out on formal nights and we have to eat in the buffet.

2) We are currently second seating, but I am thinking of prepaying so we can do the select dining. I know my husband would love to just eat whenever we feel like it. I was going to use my OBC to pay the tips, if I switch to select I will then use the OBC for dining (see above) and laundry. Questions: If I don't make reservations, just show up, is there any wait, normally? Also, won't I have to eat either early or late anyway if I want to be able to see the shows? In other words, don't the shows go on opposite to the early and late seating, so if you eat between those seatings you will miss both shows?

3) Will they "speed things along" if our kids eat with us in the MDR? They will not want to sit for an hour and half to eat, will they do like Disney and serve them first if we ask so they can go back to the kids clubs?

4) Speaking of kids clubs, I understand they close at certain times - do they really close from 5pm to 7pm? If that is the case, maybe I should do EARLY dining?? What is this VIP thing I have read about - sounds like kids can then go the extra hours for no additional charge if you purchase that? How much is it, and can I just get it on board (another thing to use my OBC for). I really want to be able to go out and enjoy our premium drink package at night, but I don't want my kids to be bored.

5) Final question! I upgraded my kids to the premium non-alcoholic pkg so they can get smoothies (or virgin frozen strawberry daiquiris, etc.), AND milkshakes. When I called to do so Celebrity assured me those were included, but from looking around on this board I am not so sure they even have milkshakes or kids smoothies. Has anyone ever done this for their kids? Do the bartenders HATE it when they do this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by GatorMomInNC

The only part I can comment on (because my son is too young for kid's club) is that yes they will speed up service and yes they can bring them food earlier than adults (for example entrees when everyone is else is getting apps). However my experience was with select dining so I am not sure how flexible they are especially if you are seated with others in early/late seating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I can't answer all your questions as we have never cruised with children.

If you don't want to pack dressy clothes, you can avoid formal night by eating in the buffet area. They have grilled meats stir fries, pasta, pizza etc. I was under the impression that children younger than 12 are not allowed in Murano but that might have changed.

There are smoothies at Aqua Spa cafe. Don't know if they would appeal to your kids or not.

Does your cruise end in Vancouver?

If you want Select dining, I would book it now as it can sell out. As for a wait, sometimes there is one in the 7:30 - 8:30 timeframe as that is a popular preference. We make a reservation each night for the next night as we leave the dining room.

Edited by TeaBag

1) We don't want to pack dressy clothes, so I plan to eat in specialty dining on the formal nights. I suspect the 2nd night and one of the other at sea nights will be formal, so I called Celebrity and booked the Murano for 2nd night and Silk Harvest for the 8th night (for a total of $70 pp). BUT, I have seen references on this board to some package that they offer once you get on board - something like 3 nights for $90?? I have some OBC so should cancel and book when I get on board? I guess worse case scenario they are sold out on formal nights and we have to eat in the buffet.

You have described it well, and there really isn't anything else to do other than wait until you are on board and see if you are offered anything special. Whether or not they make offers like these depends on how strong the bookings are, and there's no way to predict that.

2) We are currently second seating, but I am thinking of prepaying so we can do the select dining. I know my husband would love to just eat whenever we feel like it. I was going to use my OBC to pay the tips, if I switch to select I will then use the OBC for dining (see above) and laundry. Questions: If I don't make reservations, just show up, is there any wait, normally? Also, won't I have to eat either early or late anyway if I want to be able to see the shows? In other words, don't the shows go on opposite to the early and late seating, so if you eat between those seatings you will miss both shows?

Yes, normally the shows are opposite the traditional times. But say the traditional late seating is 8:30 but you would rather eat at 8. You would still make the late show.

3) Will they "speed things along" if our kids eat with us in the MDR? They will not want to sit for an hour and half to eat, will they do like Disney and serve them first if we ask so they can go back to the kids clubs?

Do you really have your kids signed up for late seating? You might want to re-think that.

4) Speaking of kids clubs, I understand they close at certain times - do they really close from 5pm to 7pm? If that is the case, maybe I should do EARLY dining?? What is this VIP thing I have read about - sounds like kids can then go the extra hours for no additional charge if you purchase that? How much is it, and can I just get it on board (another thing to use my OBC for). I really want to be able to go out and enjoy our premium drink package at night, but I don't want my kids to be bored.

5) Final question! I upgraded my kids to the premium non-alcoholic pkg so they can get smoothies (or virgin frozen strawberry daiquiris, etc.), AND milkshakes. When I called to do so Celebrity assured me those were included, but from looking around on this board I am not so sure they even have milkshakes or kids smoothies. Has anyone ever done this for their kids? Do the bartenders HATE it when they do this?

Milkshakes usually involve milk and ice cream. The bars won't have these ingredients anyway. They will have the ingredients for virgin drinks.

You have it reversed on prepaying for Select dining. If you choose Select Dining you are required to prepay tips. Anyone can prepay tips but it is no guarantee that you will get Select Dining, if its full, its full. In other words, if you prepay tips, you don't get Select Dining unless requested and open. I would point out another thing since I have taken my kids on cruises, the ages of your kids are not really conducive to late seating.

The way I read it, the OP has it right. They currently have late seating and are planning to use the OBC to pay the tips. They are considering changing to Select and then would use the OBC to pay the specialty dining and laundry, because the tips would already be paid.

The only part I can comment on (because my son is too young for kid's club) is that yes they will speed up service and yes they can bring them food earlier than adults (for example entrees when everyone is else is getting apps). However my experience was with select dining so I am not sure how flexible they are especially if you are seated with others in early/late seating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, good to know

You have it reversed on prepaying for Select dining. If you choose Select Dining you are required to prepay tips. Anyone can prepay tips but it is no guarantee that you will get Select Dining, if its full, its full. In other words, if you prepay tips, you don't get Select Dining unless requested and open. I would point out another thing since I have taken my kids on cruises, the ages of your kids are not really conducive to late seating.

Based on the advice from everyone here (Thanks!), I just got off the phone with Celebrity and switched to Select. Ironically, he warned me against switching, because he said early and late seating are currently wait-listed :confused: I like that on nights where we are cruising inside passage or have late sea days we can eat late, but eat earlier if we want to make an early night of it.

My kids have cruised several times and we almost always do late dining - but that was on Disney, where the kids clubs are open until midnight and they were always up late. Sounds like earlier might be better on Celebrity.

Many people will be dressed formally in Murano on formal nights and in dresses and jackets on non-formal nights because it is very fine dining.

I understand, but I double checked and the dress code is smart business, so my husband won't have to wear a jacket and tie.

I can't answer all your questions as we have never cruised with children.

If you don't want to pack dressy clothes, you can avoid formal night by eating in the buffet area. They have grilled meats stir fries, pasta, pizza etc. I was under the impression that children younger than 12 are not allowed in Murano but that might have changed.

There are smoothies at Aqua Spa cafe. Don't know if they would appeal to your kids or not.

Does your cruise end in Vancouver?

If you want Select dining, I would book it now as it can sell out. As for a wait, sometimes there is one in the 7:30 - 8:30 timeframe as that is a popular preference. We make a reservation each night for the next night as we leave the dining room.

We may end up doing that if we can't get reservations at Murano, etc. My kids would NOT be with us in any of the upscale restaurants, but probably eating at the buffet with Grandma (who doesn't like to do the upscale restaurants as the food is too rich for her). My kids only eat from the cheese groups - grill cheese, mac and cheese, and pizza, and occasionally chicken fingers, so the buffet will be fine for them. They would probably prefer it every night, but I want them to eat with us in the MDRs.

I did go ahead and cancel the dining reservations when I switched to Select, I think we will take our chances on board. Like I said, if we have to eat in the buffet a couple nights, no biggie. Although, because the agent asked if we were celebrating anything special, I realized that I had forgot that my husband and I will be celebrating our anniversary on this cruise!!! So, maybe we will eat at Murano that night!

Yes, we end in Vancouver, begin in Seattle. Can't wait!

You have described it well, and there really isn't anything else to do other than wait until you are on board and see if you are offered anything special. Whether or not they make offers like these depends on how strong the bookings are, and there's no way to predict that.

Thanks

Yes, normally the shows are opposite the traditional times. But say the traditional late seating is 8:30 but you would rather eat at 8. You would still make the late show.

Okay, I guess another good reason to book on board, as we will have a better idea of the times for everything...

Milkshakes usually involve milk and ice cream. The bars won't have these ingredients anyway. They will have the ingredients for virgin drinks.

Makes sense. Thanks again for your answers!

I have made my own milkshakes on a cruise. Get some chocolate milk. They can bring that. Get a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream and a very large glass.

Mix it up. Mmmm. I bet your kids would love that.

Have a great cruise. Alaska is so special. They'll love going up on deck or in the top lounges looking for whales and dolphin. Bring some good binoculars. The ones provided are just toys.

Thanks, good to know

Based on the advice from everyone here (Thanks!), I just got off the phone with Celebrity and switched to Select. Ironically, he warned me against switching, because he said early and late seating are currently wait-listed :confused: I like that on nights where we are cruising inside passage or have late sea days we can eat late, but eat earlier if we want to make an early night of it.

My kids have cruised several times and we almost always do late dining - but that was on Disney, where the kids clubs are open until midnight and they were always up late. Sounds like earlier might be better on Celebrity.

Celebrity does a slumber party every night for the kids, allows Mom and Dad to have the evening out on their own. I believe it runs until 1:00A.M. and there is a small fee. My kids loved it.

Also, there is an age limit on Murano's, if your kids are 8 and 11 do not believe they can eat there, I think its 16. The other Specialties are fine though.

Edited by dkjretired

People are mentioning select dining being sold out. We are sailing concierge on Solstice in August. We are a LARGE party (2 families of 4 and 1 family of 5 making a total of 12 people.) Someone else in the party is making the plans for the group and has "assured" us that we will be able to just walk in to dining at any time since we are concierge. Is this accurate? (Trust me, I do not expect them to sit all 12 of us together, we plan to make reservations if the 12 of us want to sit together 1 or 2 nights)

People are mentioning select dining being sold out. We are sailing concierge on Solstice in August. We are a LARGE party (2 families of 4 and 1 family of 5 making a total of 12 people.) Someone else in the party is making the plans for the group and has "assured" us that we will be able to just walk in to dining at any time since we are concierge. Is this accurate? (Trust me, I do not expect them to sit all 12 of us together, we plan to make reservations if the 12 of us want to sit together 1 or 2 nights)

No, there is no such perk in Concierge. The only perk with dining in Concierge is the following which deals with the computer system not when you come to the dining room. From the website: "Main and specialty restaurant seating time preferences" I would also expect that since you have 12 people there is no way you're just going to walk up and go in.

Edited by dkjretired

I understand, but I double checked and the dress code is smart business, so my husband won't have to wear a jacket and tie.

We may end up doing that if we can't get reservations at Murano, etc. My kids would NOT be with us in any of the upscale restaurants, but probably eating at the buffet with Grandma (who doesn't like to do the upscale restaurants as the food is too rich for her). My kids only eat from the cheese groups - grill cheese, mac and cheese, and pizza, and occasionally chicken fingers, so the buffet will be fine for them. They would probably prefer it every night, but I want them to eat with us in the MDRs.

I did go ahead and cancel the dining reservations when I switched to Select, I think we will take our chances on board. Like I said, if we have to eat in the buffet a couple nights, no biggie. Although, because the agent asked if we were celebrating anything special, I realized that I had forgot that my husband and I will be celebrating our anniversary on this cruise!!! So, maybe we will eat at Murano that night!

Yes, we end in Vancouver, begin in Seattle. Can't wait!

It would be better if you prebook some of your select dining times. If not you may be disappointed with the wait times

We have been on X and they will let you eat in the MDR on formal night with nice slacks and a dress shirt, no real need for a sports coat. Alaska is even less formal. No need to miss a dinner in the MDR because other people will be enjoying themselves dressed in casual clothing. Enjoy Alaska

"People are mentioning select dining being sold out. We are sailing concierge on Solstice in August. We are a LARGE party (2 families of 4 and 1 family of 5 making a total of 12 people.) Someone else in the party is making the plans for the group and has "assured" us that we will be able to just walk in to dining at any time since we are concierge. Is this accurate? (Trust me, I do not expect them to sit all 12 of us together, we plan to make reservations if the 12 of us want to sit together 1 or 2 nights)"

Many people misunderstand the benefits of being in Concierge Class. They believe that there is a dedicated Concierge for these passengers. Not so, there is a ship Concierge but he/she will book things for any passenger on the ship. And in this case, your friend has misunderstood the dining arrangements perk. In fact, this perk is nearly non-existent, and as noted, deals only with the computer booking of dining arrangements. It does not put Concierge class passengers at the front of the line when entering the dining room. It does not guarantee tables together, or even nearby. You might want to double check anything else your friend has assured you to make sure that you have an accurate understanding of Concierge Class.

"People are mentioning select dining being sold out. We are sailing concierge on Solstice in August. We are a LARGE party (2 families of 4 and 1 family of 5 making a total of 12 people.) Someone else in the party is making the plans for the group and has "assured" us that we will be able to just walk in to dining at any time since we are concierge. Is this accurate? (Trust me, I do not expect them to sit all 12 of us together, we plan to make reservations if the 12 of us want to sit together 1 or 2 nights)"

Many people misunderstand the benefits of being in Concierge Class. They believe that there is a dedicated Concierge for these passengers. Not so, there is a ship Concierge but he/she will book things for any passenger on the ship. And in this case, your friend has misunderstood the dining arrangements perk. In fact, this perk is nearly non-existent, and as noted, deals only with the computer booking of dining arrangements. It does not put Concierge class passengers at the front of the line when entering the dining room. It does not guarantee tables together, or even nearby. You might want to double check anything else your friend has assured you to make sure that you have an accurate understanding of Concierge Class.

Agree, many of the benefits of Concierge are definitely misunderstood. I find the perks to be mostly fluff or available to everyone on the ship. Another example is priority boarding, simply means a separate line, sometimes the regular lines are shorter.

It would be better if you prebook some of your select dining times. If not you may be disappointed with the wait times

Is that something I can do now? Di need to call or go online?

I don't want to miss the shows, anyone know what time those usually take place?

Many people will be dressed formally in Murano on formal nights and in dresses and jackets on non-formal nights because it is very fine dining.

While there may certainly be SOME people dressed formally in Murano, there will also be many people dressed in regular smart casual attire.... no jacket, no tie, slacks for ladies, etc. That has always been our experience, even on formal nights, and especially in Alaska, as people seem to treat Alaska cruises even more casually. (Probably they figure there is less room to pack dressy clothes when your luggage is full of jeans, sweaters, jackets and heavier shoes, as opposed shorts and flip flops in the Carib.)

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I cruised Celebrity once before, but it was a long time ago and before we had kids. Now we are going on the Solstice 11 night Ultimate Alaska cruise in September with our 8 and 11 year old sons and my mother. As usual, these boards have been very helpful, but I still have some questions:

Thanks in advance.

1) We were on Solstice last November, the only specials we were offered on board were if you booked on that same day. When we came back from shore excursions and reboarded the ship sometimes there was a person near the lifts to get back up offering discounts for a particular restaurant for THAT night, if they weren't well booked for that night. If you have set days you want to book, or a particular restaurant you want to dine in, I'd make an advance booking. Pretty sure we could buy dining packages in advance by logging into Celebrity website with our booking details prior to sail date.

2) We NEVER had a wait for anytime dining. But we like to dine early about 6pm (so our son could get to kids club when it opened at 7pm) and sometimes as we left there would be a line of a few groups waiting.

3) We never felt the need to 'rush' our son's dinner through. He was automatically served his main as we got our starter, then we all had desert together (he's 4, he eats slow). We were generally done by 7pm so he could go to kids club when it opened.

4) Kids club is open 9am-12pm + 2pm-5pm + 7pm-10pm for free. You can pay per extra session outside these times or buy VIP pass for unlimited extra sessions and they will take your kids to lunch and dinner for you (in the buffet). After 10pm is extra $$ too. BUT they have a policy that no child can be left in kids club for more than 5 consecutive hours without a 1 hour break, so if you pay for them to go to lunch or dinner with the kids club staff, you have to take them our for an hour just a short time later. We found the free times plenty and always picked our son up for lunch and dinner with us.

5) Sorry, didn't try to order smoothies or milkshakes, however, there were a few non-alcoholic cocktails advertised on the table drinks menu in the buffet that you could get at most bars.