helicopter rides

ninip60

Three of the helicopter rides we took were private. The helicopters were excellent as well as the pilot. My DH was able to sit in the front with the pilot and the view was fabulous. I was just behind. Equal view.

We did do one helicopter ride that was through the ship. This was not a helicopter but a 6 place Cessna if I remember correctly, or 8 places. This was a different story and we were in the back and it smelled of fuel. This was also a woman pilot and she was good, landed on another glacier with the plane facing out for take-off. This was NOT a pleasurable experience. The private helicopters were perfect.

We even saw a wedding on the glacier. Fabulous.

Hi Carole :)

We have a couple of sea plane adventures booked to see the glaciers, land on a lake etc etc. We are doing thru O because I was afraid we may miss the ship, literally in the event of a problem. Worth a few extra $$ just in case.

We are going to be in Alaska on the Regatta in May. Has anyone taken an independent helicopter excusion that was worth the money?

Thanks

Helicopters to glacier landing are not worth the money. VERY short air time (about 10-15 minutes each way at most) and costs as much as 1 hour helicopter on Kauai.

Do a vintage dehavilland plane ride with a water landing. About the same price but far more air time.

I said why I don't like the group ones. I see the other post that there was short air time. We didn't experience that. They took up quite a few places and landed on the glacier once and we watched the wedding and Joe was able to go get water out of a crevasse. Very interesting. The other one to the ice field was also a visit to a dog breeding place...he has won the Iditarod several times. That was very very interesting. We got back way on time on both of those. It was the not-private one that I didn't like. You know they load people in the planes according to weight, especially the helicopters. If you are with a lot of people, you may get the worst seat...we did. I very much respect the other poster's opinion. Perhaps the tour company was not so good. I forgot the name of ours. I am not sure I could post it anyway.

Helicopters to glacier landing are not worth the money. VERY short air time (about 10-15 minutes each way at most) and costs as much as 1 hour helicopter on Kauai.

Do a vintage dehavilland plane ride with a water landing. About the same price but far more air time.

I had a great trip with Island Wings in her 1959 Dehavilland that was in beautiful condition. Landed on a small glacier lake. Trip was about an hour or so if I remember right and cheaper than shorter helicopter rides. It was a fantastic way to see the area.

I had a great trip with Island Wings in her 1959 Dehavilland that was in beautiful condition. Landed on a small glacier lake. Trip was about an hour or so if I remember right and cheaper than shorter helicopter rides. It was a fantastic way to see the area.

Michelle is the pilot's name.

The best.

We also did a float plane off the dock at Juneau to the Taku Glacier lodge. Wings of Alaska 45 minutes in the air a quarter of the cost of doing it with the ship. Best excursion ever

Michelle is the pilot's name.

The best.

We also did a float plane off the dock at Juneau to the Taku Glacier lodge. Wings of Alaska 45 minutes in the air a quarter of the cost of doing it with the ship. Best excursion ever

We are going to do the Taku Glacier Lodge, also. This is all becoming very exciting!

IMHO anything regarding air is going to be pricey and comes down to what you want to experience. The take off and views as you rise to the glaciers on the helicopter/landing is simply spectacular. I've done the Kauai and also spectacular but different as you do spend more time seeing different things.

I haven't considered flightseeing but am sure those are also spectacular.

I know that my DW eyes popped out when she saw the bill for 5 for dog sledding but once done, never complained or discussed the cost as it was simply amazing.

Helicopter flightseeing, landing and the ever more pricey and often canceled dog sledding are IMHO totally worth it if you can afford their eye popping price.

I don't agree with the earlier poster who said very little time in the air, yes you don't spend as much time in the air but the time you spend is spectacular, as is the time on the ice!

p1097124824-4.jpg

p1097124839-4.jpg

p1097125024-4.jpg

p1097124883-4.jpg

p1097124989-4.jpg

Of course I am recessive, but my DH got on the back of the dog sled and mushed. It was beyond a life experience. I rode in the front with the guide behind me...I kept saying...is he still on the back? LOL...he never fell off. We had a great testosterone experience. It was fabulous. Alaska is the best. I would do it again in a minute.

We were stranded in Alaska from Regent's Mariner (10 years ago I think) when there was a electrical problem and missed our tour to Denali requiring us to stay in Anchorage for 4 days to catch our flight.

What we did have is a private tour company take us up to Talkeetna and to Homer to Iditerod HQ. We got to ride with the puppies while there and ran loops on dry ground. We spent time cuddling the babies - all for a small $10 fee I think

Betsy is terrified to ride in a small plane or helicopter, and I'm not far behind in not being thrilled. This experience from our catamaran just reinforced our feelings...

b_192908.jpg

b_192937.jpg

We towed it several miles to a floating dock -- we heard later there were folks from Oceania on the plane.

We did a seaplane and landed into a huge mountain lake flying by some serious fjords (and I've seen fjords!). WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Complete isolation and incredibly beautiful! A little bit sketchy because you had to stand out on the pontoons to take pics once in the lake - the water was so cold! You don't want to fall in so tread lightly. If you are mobile enough this was a great trip.

Definitely do the seaplane. We swooped down to a lake for a closeup view of a polar bear. The pilot even let me take the yoke for a few minutes. Other than his little joke about the yoke jamming in front of me so that I would have to land the plane, my entire family loved it!

I asked the other day if anyone had ever taken a helicopter ride in Alaska that was worth the money. We are going to Sitka, Juneau and Skagway. I wanted to know the name of a company that you would recommend so I could book a flight. My mistake...thanks for those who just responded that they had taken one. I need more information.

I asked the other day if anyone had ever taken a helicopter ride in Alaska that was worth the money. We are going to Sitka, Juneau and Skagway. I wanted to know the name of a company that you would recommend so I could book a flight. My mistake...thanks for those who just responded that they had taken one. I need more information.

check on Trip Advisor for those locations...I would guess you could find some specifics there...good luck and have fun!! LuAnn

You can email me at ciraulo1@earthlink.net

If someone asks for a recommendation it's completely okay to put it in a post. As long as you've taken the tour yourself, not one that you read about that is good, or that you have booked for the future, or a friend went on and liked. You have to have been on the tour yourself.

When someone just puts the information out there on a thread without being asked by anyone it is like advertising, which is basically a no no under the rules here. That is what is not allowed. Here is the rule from the CC guidelines;

"Reviews/Recommendations of Tour Operators/Guides

Legitimate third-party reviews/recommendations for tour operators/guides *must* be posted as a reply to a request for the information. Do NOT start a new thread with an unsolicited review/recommendation."

Edited by ORV