Age Discrimination

daabigyin

Is Celebrity supposed to know your medical history?...or know if you are lying because you want to do an activity and YOU believe you can handle it even though you might have a condition that would make snorkling or whatever potentially dangerous?....they can't make exceptions to policy because this or that passenger may be a bit "fitter" than average.

One involved snorkeling, the other involved kayaking.

Is Celebrity supposed to know your medical history?...or know if you are lying because you want to do an activity and YOU believe you can handle it even though you might have a condition that would make snorkling or whatever potentially dangerous?....they can't make exceptions to policy because this or that passenger may be a bit "fitter" than average.

I can understand an age policy but 60 is just ridiculous.

Completely agree. We don't even have a mandatory retirement age in Canada anymore because it is discrimination. 60 is a joke for a restriction.

And in Australia the age when retirement will kick in for those needing Federal pension will in future be 75!

With the reason for age discrimination. HOWEVER, 80 years is the new 70, and 70 is the new 60, BUT living near a big retirement VILLAGE, there are a lot of 50 year olds that are 80 year olds.

What is system to do to help us 75 extremely active adults to enjoy what we did and what we can and want to do. One thing I do know and I AM ACTIVE, there are limits I even put on my self, I seem to know what is good for me and what is not, many simply do not understand or want to believe that they are not 30 again.

I was turned down for a bike trip on one of the Caribbean islands, I was mad, on the next island there was no restrictions. There should have been>>>>>>> LOL, I had a good time after the ride, but it was a true MOUNTAIN bike ride (not really advertise that way), WOW, cliffs, rocks etc. I/we were a little embarrassed that we slight held the group up. We should have never been on that bike ride.

Edited by north29

Based on the fact that the OP mentioned Lima, Peru, I'm going to take a guess and say he was on a South American cruise. In checking the itineraries that include Peru, I started checking the excursions available for those itineraries. The kayaking excursions are considered "strenuous" activities. HOWEVER, the only restrictions listed are as follows: Minimum Height: 48 inches, Minimum Age: 12 Years, Minimum Weight: 80 pounds.

I believe he does have a bit of a complaint.

I sympathize with his annoyance, I recognize that the Celebrity website is woefully inadequate and does not contain all the information it should (and sometimes contains incorrect and misleading information) but I will point out again that the problems he encountered are not unique to Celebrity. Other cruise lines and shorex operators also impose age limitations, other cruise lines have to miss ports or substitute ports, other cruise lines cancel shore excursions. Not ever cruising Celebrity again, he should be prepared that the same things are likely to happen to him on whatever new line he chooses.

Based on the fact that the OP mentioned Lima, Peru, I'm going to take a guess and say he was on a South American cruise. In checking the itineraries that include Peru, I started checking the excursions available for those itineraries. The kayaking excursions are considered "strenuous" activities. HOWEVER, the only restrictions listed are as follows: Minimum Height: 48 inches, Minimum Age: 12 Years, Minimum Weight: 80 pounds.

Its funny how an 80 pound 12 year old little girl could go but a fit healthy man in his 60's can't........

To the original poster, welcome to Cruise Critic. I hope you will continue to participate beyond airing a grievance against one cruiseline.

Your input about age restrictions for tours may help others with planning, but I suspect you may find the same scenario on other lines if you cruise again since attorneys and insurance companies play a big role in our increasingly litigious times. Some widow probably collected $20 million after her out-of-shape 67 year old spouse keeled over after the snorkel tour.

I've seen car rental companies in Europe that won't rent to 70 or older.

That's part of growing older but it sure beats the alternative.

I'd say a major complaint. I don't care if certain excursions have age restrictions or not, BUT advertise that they do!. Don't let people book under false pretenses. If X had advertised the age restrictions, cruisers could have searched for other independent excursions with no such restrictions or purchased another type through X. It's the old bait and switch in my opinion. Bad form X.:mad:

It's just like a car dealer advertising a car for $20K but when you get down to the store the salesperson says, sorry that price is restricted for employees, or recent college graduates or bald people.:eek: Again, bad form.

Its funny how an 80 pound 12 year old little girl could go but a fit healthy man in his 60's can't........

But that's not the point. X or their contractors can put in any restrictions they want (assuming it's legal in that jurisdiction). Just inform people of these restrictions. I couldn't be a policeman when I was younger because I was too short. Our friend who is my height could join because she is female. The restriction on me didn't make any sense but it was advertised and vertically challenged males like me knew not to apply to the force in the first place. BTW the rule has since been changed and our friend is now very very senior in the force. :) And with the stories she has told over the years there's no way I'd survive as a Cop.;)

I envy those of you in your 60plus years who are so fit and enjoy such good health.

As a relatively young at heart 57 I can not access many activities because of a history of back and shoulder problems.

Although I happily get through life generally by the time I have ruled out the excursions that say 'not recommended for.....' I am on the excursions with the 70 plus group who definitely do have physical limitations. The temptation has been on many occasions to ignore the warnings and use my common sense about my physical state but at the back of my mind is the 'what if' scenario. Knowing that if anything did go wrong my insurance would have grounds not to cover me.

One thing I will give celebrity credit for is that they do have a range of tours/activities to suit all.

If you are of more mature years and feel able to continue with more adventurous activities please check your insurance will cover you. A tour group saying they will take you on a tour does not mean your insurance company will not question the advisability of your participation if things did go wrong. Please check your small print.

I definitely think that X should clearly list any age, weight, or ability restrictions for a tour, in their website's description of that tour. That way, folks would know, in advance, that they couldn't participate in that particular shore excursion. I can tell you that I would be really ticked, if I decided to book a ship's shore excursion in advance -- only to learn onboard, that I didn't meet the "qualifications". At that point, my ability to research/book a private tour (for the same activity) would be quite limited.

I envy those of you in your 60plus years who are so fit and enjoy such good health.

As a relatively young at heart 57 I can not access many activities because of a history of back and shoulder problems.

Although I happily get through life generally by the time I have ruled out the excursions that say 'not recommended for.....' I am on the excursions with the 70 plus group who definitely do have physical limitations. The temptation has been on many occasions to ignore the warnings and use my common sense about my physical state but at the back of my mind is the 'what if' scenario. Knowing that if anything did go wrong my insurance would have grounds not to cover me.

One thing I will give celebrity credit for is that they do have a range of tours/activities to suit all.

If you are of more mature years and feel able to continue with more adventurous activities please check your insurance will cover you. A tour group saying they will take you on a tour does not mean your insurance company will not question the advisability of your participation if things did go wrong. Please check your small print.

Go point about the insurance.

Just as an aside. Ever since I confirmed to my kids that they are all in my Will they have been trying to get me to do all sorts of crazy stuff for a person my age. First it was zip lining and now they want me to do base jumping. They say it is just as safe.

Since I choose cruises based on the locations visited and the shore excursions offered, I am particularly annoyed at having been denied participation in two shore excursions (on my latest Celebrity cruise) based on my age. Having researched the offered shore excursions prior to departure, NOWHERE ON THE CELEBRITY WEB PAGE DID IT MENTION SUCH RESTRICTION. I am 67 years old and very fit for my age. Using the ship's exercise facilities on a daily basis, I could tell that I am fitter than 99% of the cruisers on board. Despite being willing to sign a waiver, or pass a fitness test, I was informed that anyone over 60 could not participate. I consider this discriminatory, insulting, and awful customer service (based on reasons why I cruise, as mentioned above).

Having also had a shore excursion canceled at the last minute on the same cruise, and having had a major port of call (Lima, Peru) canceled prior to departure, I will not be cruising with Celebrity ever again. Future Celebrity cruisers beware!!!! :mad:

I 100% agree with you. People can say whatever they want about it not being Celebrity. Celebrity knows their demographic runs older and as such, should contract with vendors willing to accept older clients. I am bringing my parents onboard in November and would be mortified if my 69 year young mother were to be denied a simple kayaking excursion. Come on now.

While I'm inclined to believe the OP had an issue, the fact that his first and only post is a complaint and when questioned for details simply came back with "One involved snorkeling, the other involved kayaking" sort of makes me wonder. :rolleyes:

I've looked and without knowing details (ie, WHERE? Tour #) it's hard to support him given how many excursions I've seen do clearly state the Restrictions.

To the OP, come back and give us more details. In addition to the details of the excursions you were not allowed to take, when and how were you notified that you couldn't go because you exceeded the age requirement? Were you told as you tried to book them? When you boarded the ship? When you tried to join the excursion? Again, the lack of details makes it tough to sort out whether Celebrity needs to improve their process or if you simply made a mistake.

I assume he has vented and moved on. Would be interested to know if other CC folks have had that happen to them.

Edited by RickT

Just as an aside. Ever since I confirmed to my kids that they are all in my Will they have been trying to get me to do all sorts of crazy stuff for a person my age. First it was zip lining and now they want me to do base jumping. They say it is just as safe.

LOL!:D Well, at least you didn't show your vacation photos to your grown son -- only to have him raise an eyebrow: "Mom, YOU went snorkeling??":eek: Got a similar reaction from him, when I tried zip-lining, too!;)

Edited by wwcruisers

I 100% agree with you. People can say whatever they want about it not being Celebrity. Celebrity knows their demographic runs older and as such, should contract with vendors willing to accept older clients. I am bringing my parents onboard in November and would be mortified if my 69 year young mother were to be denied a simple kayaking excursion. Come on now.

Also there are cruise lines that tend to carry much older passengers than X. They offer snorkelling, kayaking and Segway tours. My friend is in her 70s and just all three with Seabourn.

Also there are cruise lines that tend to carry much older passengers than X. They offer snorkelling, kayaking and Segway tours. My friend is in her 70s and just all three with Seabourn.

You are comparing luxury cruise lines (Seabourn) to Celebrity (which in reality is priced in the mass market range).

The luxury price tag likely allows for much higher liability insurance costs for these excursions, which would explain why the upper age limit may be different.

We generally avoid cruise line excursions (truly hate the things) and this would be just one more reason (among many) to do your own thing. But passengers who insist on take those excursions need to understand that the cruise lines (and some local/national laws in various countries) require the tour operator to carry sufficient liability insurance. Age and even weight restrictions are often imposed as a condition of insurance.

Hank

While I'm inclined to believe the OP had an issue, the fact that his first and only post is a complaint and when questioned for details simply came back with "One involved snorkeling, the other involved kayaking" sort of makes me wonder. :rolleyes:

I've looked and without knowing details (ie, WHERE? Tour #) it's hard to support him given how many excursions I've seen do clearly state the Restrictions.

To the OP, come back and give us more details. In addition to the details of the excursions you were not allowed to take, when and how were you notified that you couldn't go because you exceeded the age requirement? Were you told as you tried to book them? When you boarded the ship? When you tried to join the excursion? Again, the lack of details makes it tough to sort out whether Celebrity needs to improve their process or if you simply made a mistake.

I assume he has vented and moved on. Would be interested to know if other CC folks have had that happen to them.

Considering his join date is Aug 2014, I'm definitely not wondering.

Also, based on the information provided, I was able to figure out which excursion he might have been talking about with no problem. In the cases I found with kayaking, however, there was always a MINIMUM age, but never a maximum age.

So as far as I can see, he didn't make a mistake.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

You are comparing luxury cruise lines (Seabourn) to Celebrity (which in reality is priced in the mass market range).

The luxury price tag likely allows for much higher liability insurance costs for these excursions, which would explain why the upper age limit may be different.

So? Celebrity could communicate that it has to pay a higher insurance rate and still offer the excursion for maybe $5 more. By excluding them entirely is discrimination. And if all it is is a higher premium then this absolutely is celebrity's problem

Edited by Cruise Junky

Considering his join date is Aug 2014, I'm definitely not wondering.

Also, based on the information provided, I was able to figure out which excursion he might have been talking about with no problem. In the cases I found with kayaking, however, there was always a MINIMUM age, but never a maximum age.

So as far as I can see, he didn't make a mistake.

I looked at our Segway tour we have booked for San Juan. Just browsing shore excursions it has an age limit of 65 but the same excursion when I'm in my booking showed no upper age limit.

Although I happily get through life generally by the time I have ruled out the excursions that say 'not recommended for.....

....and there are many others much younger than you who have heart or lung or other types of serious health problems.

I think the non-discriminatory way that some land tour operators handle such situations is much better.

They describe the type and level of physical exertion required for each activity and leave it to the individual participant to determine what is appropriate for him/herself.

They also require everyone who participates to sign a liability waiver, irrespective of age.