I've decided not to book any NCL cruises for 2015 and 2016

david_sobe

I have been cruising NCL twice a year since 2009 then once a year and lately once every two years. I have always booked the new NCL ship even before she left port (Epic and Getaway). I was planning on booking Escape but the prices are high even through 2016. So I expected to take another Sky cruise for 2016. I am not sure I fit the NCL demographic. Ever since I returned home from my February 2015 Getaway cruise my email box has daily offers of "Hurry deal expires for UBP and UDP". Then NCL started mailing me offers. 3 weeks ago my NCL PCC called me to ask me if I was going to book something. I explained to her I was waiting for all of the phony offers to expire and the cruise fares go down. She admitted to me that the fares jumped up in price again even after the Unlimited Deals offers. No biggie, I was not in a rush to book another cruise.

Today in my inbox another deal offer from NCL. I have no interest in adding a $750 alcohol package to my cruise. I also have no interest in the UDP. If you know me, I usually rave about the specialty restaurants. But they have went up in price so much over the years and the quality has consistently declined. With now an additional 18% added the value is not there for me and have no interest in the UDP. The new menus in the MDR are not too bad and have no interest in paying so much additional for meals that I think are no longer that special.

So then I decided to book another Sky cruise. Now NCL announced they are adding the drink packages to the bookings in 2016. No thanks. Many moons ago cruising was only for the rich. Then cruising became affordable for everyone. With the high fares and added packages and fees, I no longer think they are great vacation deals. I can book an oceanfront hotel resort in North Florida and pay for meals every night for half the price of a cruise. Now NCL has removed the Sky from the affordable inexpensive cruise list.

I am not completely ruling out another cruise over the next 2 years. Maybe the cruise bug will bite me again. But ever since I have gotten back from my Getaway cruise there has been endless calls, emails and mailings about booking NCL cruises at higher prices with package deals I have no interest in. I just don't think I fit the demographic NCL is trying to lure back. I spend $1500 minimally on board for every cruise. But I don't want these darn packages and high prices. I was hoping it was just a fad but now an entire cruise ship is devoted to this sales pitch.

I just think its time to go back to land vacations. They are such a better deal these days ;)

Maybe when the Escape is launched it may peak my interest. But the Escape is so similar to Getaway. I would love to try something completely different.

Edited by david_sobe

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Funny, bc your thread was the first I read coming here today after being extremely put off that I can't find a decent land-based trip for the 6 of us this Thanksgiving. The one I'd like to book is $8200 (not including all meals) - I've booked the Star for Thanksgiving 2016 for a little more than 1/2 that. Even when I add tips & an excursion, I'll be at no more than $5K. A bargain in comparison.

Edited by abbyar

David,

I am sorry you feel that way. I have 5 more cruises planned for this year and a couple of 10 Day or longer planned for next year.

I am lucky if I spend $700 on a cruise with $250 of that on a Cruise Reward.

I have been cruising NCL twice a year since 2009 then once a year and lately once every two years. I have always booked the new NCL ship even before she left port (Epic and Getaway). I was planning on booking Escape but the prices are high even through 2016. So I expected to take another Sky cruise for 2016. I am not sure I fit the NCL demographic. Ever since I returned home from my February 2015 Getaway cruise my email box has daily offers of "Hurry deal expires for UBP and UDP". Then NCL started mailing me offers. 3 weeks ago my NCL PCC called me to ask me if I was going to book something. I explained to her I was waiting for all of the phony offers to expire and the cruise fares go down. She admitted to me that the fares jumped up in price again even after the Unlimited Deals offers. No biggie, I was not in a rush to book another cruise.

Today in my inbox another deal offer from NCL. I have no interest in adding a $750 alcohol package to my cruise. I also have no interest in the UDP. If you know me, I usually rave about the specialty restaurants. But they have went up in price so much over the years and the quality has consistently declined. With now an additional 18% added the value is not there for me and have no interest in the UDP. The new menus in the MDR are not too bad and have no interest in paying so much additional for meals that I think are no longer that special.

So then I decided to book another Sky cruise. Now NCL announced they are adding the drink packages to the bookings in 2016. No thanks. Many moons ago cruising was only for the rich. Then cruising became affordable for everyone. With the high fares and added packages and fees, I no longer think they are great vacation deals. I can book an oceanfront hotel resort in North Florida and pay for meals every night for half the price of a cruise. Now NCL has removed the Sky from the affordable inexpensive cruise list.

I am not completely ruling out another cruise over the next 2 years. Maybe the cruise bug will bite me again. But ever since I have gotten back from my Getaway cruise there has been endless calls, emails and mailings about booking NCL cruises at higher prices with package deals I have no interest in. I just don't think I fit the demographic NCL is trying to lure back. I spend $1500 minimally on board for every cruise. But I don't want these darn packages and high prices. I was hoping it was just a fad but now an entire cruise ship is devoted to this sales pitch.

I just think its time to go back to land vacations. They are such a better deal these days ;)

Maybe when the Escape is launched it may peak my interest. But the Escape is so similar to Getaway. I would love to try something completely different.

What works for one may not work for someone else. I am sorry you have been bombarded with calls and emails. I guess we are lucky, we use a TA so don't have to worry too much about that. We did get one today, saying our cruise is Oct needs a deposit or they will not hold it any longer. We have already made our deposit.

I only question one thing you said in your post: where are you getting the idea the cost of specialty dining has gone up so much. Yes, there have been increases but this it the case with all restaurants as well and certainly the cost of food has skyrocketed in the past 10 years. I have a slight problem with $30 for Cagney's but the other restaurants, for what the offer are fairly priced and I do not see where the quality of the meals have gone down at all.

Trying something new will either convinced you cruising isn't what it used to be or will have you running back to NCL. I will add, I don't think you are going to find a cheaper vacation considering meals, entertainment, activities etc. but I might be wrong.

Edited by newmexicoNita

NewMexicoNita

I think that david sobe was referring to the new 18% gratuity for speciality restaurants. However you try to spin it, it is an increase of 18% on the cost of a speciality restaurant for someone who occasionally indulges in them.

Where that money goes is irrelevant - it comes out of the person's wallet - therefore it is a (substantial) increase.

Have you looked at Cruise Critic's sister company " Jetsetter " .

There are some good land vacation's offered in their e-mail's . ;)

We are pretty much in the same situation. We had fun on the BA but nothing really wowed us too much so we are going from one of the newest ships in the fleet to the oldest as we did book the Spirit in mid-2014 for later this year.

Not really too much driving us to NCL anymore - primarily due to the lack of routes that interest us but all the collateral things recently haven't helped either.

Our family talked about what they wanted to do in 2016 and I left it up to the DW and kids who decided to go back on PG which we booked around the first of the year. Limited routes for 2017 have been released thus far for the various lines but we will probably be looking at a different line. I actually think it will be interesting to try something new.

BTW - We haven't been getting all the solicitations like you are getting (and mking reports as well) which is good. I know that when I've gotten a call from a live person before, it kind of bothers me as they don't even take the time to see that I already have one or more cruises already booked with them when they start with the sales pitch.

Edited by dexddd

Yes, it agree it's aggravating when I get a call from my pcc saying "I see you visited NCL.com" and I'm like yeah, trying to get an upgrade on my sailing next month, which I called you about yesterday, and I'm already booked to Feb 2017. So how bout that upgrade?

Yes, it agree it's aggravating when I get a call from my pcc saying "I see you visited NCL.com" and I'm like yeah, trying to get an upgrade on my sailing next month, which I called you about yesterday, and I'm already booked to Feb 2017. So how bout that upgrade?
The one and only time NCL called after I was online, I asked them to put in my file not to call me and for them to either just email or I'll call them. Since then, I've never had an issue.

NewMexicoNita

I think that david sobe was referring to the new 18% gratuity for speciality restaurants. However you try to spin it, it is an increase of 18% on the cost of a speciality restaurant for someone who occasionally indulges in them.

Where that money goes is irrelevant - it comes out of the person's wallet - therefore it is a (substantial) increase.

If you plan on the gratuity being the gratuity it didn't go up at all. Unless you tip less than 18%. I normally tip 15% at a land restaurant so it isn't that bad. I will be cruising twice this year as a newbie to the line and handing over about 8K in the process so I guess I will be replacing you as their bottom line.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but airfare, hotels and meals are up everywhere and I don't see the other cruiselines as any cheaper, especially given the dates of my cruises. My best wishes to your future endeavors.

If you plan on the gratuity being the gratuity it didn't go up at all. Unless you tip less than 18%. I normally tip 15% at a land restaurant so it isn't that bad. I will be cruising twice this year as a newbie to the line and handing over about 8K in the process so I guess I will be replacing you as their bottom line.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but airfare, hotels and meals are up everywhere and I don't see the other cruiselines as any cheaper, especially given the dates of my cruises. My best wishes to your future endeavors.

Until these recent changes, the staff in the speciality restaurants were part of the OBSC therefore already 'tipped' - that has now changed - that is the significant increase (I always pre-paid my OBSC BTW).

If I decide to go to a speciality restaurant then I will pay that extra 18% - it will however factor into my decision as to whether it is worth it overall.

Drawing parallels between what people do in the US and what happens on the high seas (remember NCL sails in Europe as well), is spurious at best.

What you tip on land in the US is irrelevant - I am talking about the 'tipping' regime on NCL (which is at sea in case you had not noticed:rolleyes:).

Just hit the Unsubscribe button. And tell your PCC not to phone.

I think Escape is going to be quite different than the Getaway, frankly. They're trying so many new things....that's why we wanted the 10 days at sea to explore on the TA.

But whatever you choose, enjoy!

Stephen

Until these recent changes, the staff in the speciality restaurants were part of the OBSC therefore already 'tipped' - that has now changed - that is the significant increase (I always pre-paid my OBSC BTW).

If I decide to go to a speciality restaurant then I will pay that extra 18% - it will however factor into my decision as to whether it is worth it overall.

Drawing parallels between what people do in the US and what happens on the high seas (remember NCL sails in Europe as well), is spurious at best.

What you tip on land in the US is irrelevant - I am talking about the 'tipping' regime on NCL (which is at sea in case you had not noticed:rolleyes:).

some good points, but as you can see I'm a bit Amerocentric. :eek:

some good points, but as you can see I'm a bit Amerocentric. :eek:

Different strokes for different folks - but one must adapt to the location and 'traditions' of one's location - there is a whole big interesting (and different) world out there. Do please take a look.

Different strokes for different folks - but one must adapt to the location and 'traditions' of one's location - there is a whole big interesting (and different) world out there. Do please take a look.

Ok, that wasn't necessary. I'm 59 years old. I know what kind of world is out there which is why I am probably amerocentric.

And Getaway and Escape will be American boarded ships, so that is the culture in question.

Edited by vicocala

I think this is the future under Del Rio. It will work for some, won't work for others. Personally I'm not interested in a bunch of free stuff that jacks the fare up, so I am not really sure at this point that it will work for me.

I agree cruising is not the value it once was. We cruised the Spirit last month out of Barcelona last minute so both UDP and UBP were included. I would not purchase either standalone as even with the inflated alcohol prices we could not possibly spend what the package costs. As far as the speciality restaurants go - the food was for the most part ok, not better than a shore restaurant and if the service we received happened on shore it is doubtful we would return to that restaurant. The food quality in the specially restaurants only just reaches what used to be available in main dining rooms on our first cruise in 2000.

We did however love the ship. We had a great cruise so I don't want to give the impression we didn't - it's just the value is no longer there in ocean cruises.

I rarely receive any correspondence from NCL. I get lots of brochures from Cunard and emails from RCL.

I've booked a cruise on the Breakaway for 2016...which will be our 3rd time in the Haven. The 2016 cruise is much cheaper than the one in 2014. We usually tip 18% in the specialty restaurants so the added charge is a non issue for us. We don't like the MDR experience on any ship. NCL is the only line that gives a choice of a different venue each night.

We are booked for June. (booked last year) And plan on having a great cruise.

Also booked for next May...so I have time to decide on that one.

For us...it is now "wait and see". NCL(and cruising in general) may or may not be in the future for these 2 Platinum sailors...:confused:

As others have said....so many changes and not all good.

No matter what you decide to do, I wish you only wonderful vacations, whether it be on land or on the sea.

My sentiments exactly - Whatever vacation one chooses is going to right for them and them only, doesn't necessarily means you have to pick a cruise always. Enjoy your vacation stress and worry-free; that is what really matters.:)

Life is all about choices.

and I'll take a cruise anytime! No hotels, rental cars, cramped air travel, horrible airports, greasy food, OMG a cruise is the absolute BEST vacation I can think of, and how else can you visit so many interesting places without having to pack and unpack every day? You can have your land packages. Cruising is still the best bang for the buck IMHO and it's so much fun! Give me a ship, any ship!