what type of purse do you carry while in port?

mimxmom

I carry whatever I use at home! Nothing too big, since I refuse to be the family "pack mule"....I've never needed a cross body bag, or steel straps....

We only carry what we feel we need for that day. A bit of cash, 1 credit card that is NOT associated with our shipboard account....that's about it, as far as valuables go!

Depends on the type of itinerary and tour being done.

Caribbean- casual cross body BC I like hands free. Big enough for travel wallet and a small bottle of water. Secure pockets if I'm shopping ( carry passport)

Med - leather cross body a touch bigger. I find I need things like kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc.. (nothing like being at the Acropolis washroom with no toilet paper. :)

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

I use a small cross-body bag (6 x 8) with an adjustable webbing strap. It is big enough for kleenex, chap-stick, sunscreen, camera and wet wipes, with some room to spare. I carry my money and credit cards on my person in a pocket sewn inside the waistband of my pants/capris/shorts. When we are in high pickpocket zones, I make sure to put the bag over my t-shirt or tank top, then top it with an open lightweight shirt or sweater for extra security.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I use a lightweight crossbody bag too. I have several and usually pick

one......I have a small one by Kipling which I love....carries more than

one would think:) and I have a couple of other ones as well. They

hold the small items that I take with me and I love a crossbody...

hands free:D

It depends on where you're cruising, of course. In Europe or Asia I've been using my Travelon cross-body bag, with the steel reinforcements and special latches. It's just the right size for my passport, money, phone, camera, some cosmetics, maps. It's not the most fashionable thing in the world, but it doesn't scream tourist, and I believe pickpockets recognize these bags. In the Caribbean I'd probably just carry something light and resorty.

I have several different sized Baggallini cross-body bags that I use depending on how much I want to take with me into port. I've never used anything with steel-reinforced straps before.

The DH and I have traveled all over the world and it was only in Italy...twice... once in Rome near the Vatican and once in Florence, that anyone ever attempted to steal something from us. Thank goodness I had read about Gypsies in these areas that try to distract you while someone with them tries to steal your wallet. Because we were aware of this, we immediately, and very loudly, yelled at them to "back off!" as instructed in the travel book. They did and my husband was able to be quick enough to grab one guy's hand as he was reaching into my husband's back pocket to steal his wallet. The DH learned a very valuable lesson that day...keep nothing of value in your back pockets!!!

I definitely DON'T use the same bag as I use at home......:eek:....

for excursions I use something much smaller in size that my regular

purse.

Agree with other posters here re cross body purse. I may use my Kipling or Derek Alexander bag depending on location etc. very aware of pickpockets in Europe so carry little in my purse that is of value to them. And never let hubby put a wallet in his back pocket.

I use a crossbody bag that that I have to zip open and close, where I flipped it around - front / flap is to me/my body and back is to the world; meaning a thief will literally have to reach long inside the bag to open the zipper or make a effort to cut it open. I currently use a Swiss gear purse that has 2 different compartments to it - one where I put my wallet and important stuff (closer to me in the reverse 'front' part) and second where I put tums, chapstick, pens, etc (the 'back' portion facing the world), plus there's a pocket area to hold my travel mug or water bottle. Its very convenient and reasonable space-out size for me - the other one I used for my last trip was just to tiny and cramp to hold everything well even my cruise boarding docs.

Edit: This what it sorta looks like except it all black - http://www.target.com/p/swissgear-vertical-travel-bag-black-grey/-/A-11149392

Edited by maywell

In Caribbean type ports, I carry a cross body travelon or this one from ebags http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-bag/94553?productid=10338348

I like that I can carry a water bottle in it.

When we were in Europe I carried a nicer crossbody from Tignanello.

If I need something bigger, I have a Vera Bradley messenger bag

I carry a cross body from TravelSmith. I don't see that exact one on the website anymore but I see a similar one. Lots of pockets with zippers, long flap to cover the opening and metal wire in the strap. Its a workhorse of a purse. I keep our passports in the interior zipped pocket.

Cross-bodies are my go-to and I'm really loving my Haiku Bag for tourist excursions. It has hidden pockets which makes it nice for storing your passport or ID without having it in obvious places. I also find that the bags are fairly roomy and I can fit all my essentials and then some.

The bag I have is out of production, but it's similar to this:

http://www.haikubags.com/accessories-small/leap-canyon.html

I carry a cross body Vera Bradley. It folds in my suitcase and doesn't take up much space, is very comfortable, has pockets so I don't need to take a wallet yet things are still easy to find, and it washable if I happen to get sand or something in or on it. It holds A LOT of stuff, everything I need to take in port (and probably some things I don't ;) and because it's not leather or hard sided, I can put small things I buy in port in it as well. I loaned one to my stepdaughter and another to my stepson's girlfriend on our Thanksgiving cruise and they loved them so much I got them their own for Christmas.

The Vera Bradley site often has sales, and you can often get patterns for a steal. I have two of this style and several VB items (teachers love Vera).

But here's the crossbody style I have and what I got the girls as Christmas gifts, in colors to match their personalities!

http://www.verabradley.com/product/hipster-crossbody/flutterby/1001054_196594.uts?parentCategoryId=1092&subCategoryId=1128

Edited by heyitsmejudy

I use a Lowepro camera bag - usually worn cross body - that's big enough for my camera (with filters, extra SD cards, etc) as well as my wallet, sunglasses, water bottle, and my iPhone. And an extra lens if I cared to carry the weight, which I usually don't.

My current bag is a Sherpani Verona. I've had this one for a little over 2 years. It is also a bag that I use at home. It is a medium size shoulder/crossbody bag. It looks cavernous when I just put in the wallet and lip balm, iPad Mini, water bottle. But, It also holds my umbrella if the days calls for rain, and if I brought it, my DLSR. It has a zip top, and I use a little carabiner to hook the zipper pull to the D-ring of the shoulder strap. I also have a Sherpani messenger bag that can hold stuff - it has the zip top and it folds over at attaches to some magnets. Since I travel solo, I have learned to be self-sufficient yet carry the minimum needed to keep me comfy and happy as I walk around. I'm mindful of pickpockets, but I'm not paralyzed by them to the point that I have to buy a special bag.

I use a small cross-body bag I got from Eagle Creek--it's actually my second bag of the exact same style. I'm saving it for travel only as they no longer make that style.

It is about 6x8, light weight canvas and very comfortable to wear. I can fit in my small camera and any other needs, such as sunglasses, tissues, etc. I have worn it all over the world.

I use a crossbody bag that that I have to zip open and close, where I flipped it around - front / flap is to me/my body and back is to the world; meaning a thief will literally have to reach long inside the bag to open the zipper or make a effort to cut it open. I currently use a Swiss gear purse that has 2 different compartments to it - one where I put my wallet and important stuff (closer to me in the reverse 'front' part) and second where I put tums, chapstick, pens, etc (the 'back' portion facing the world), plus there's a pocket area to hold my travel mug or water bottle. Its very convenient and reasonable space-out size for me - the other one I used for my last trip was just to tiny and cramp to hold everything well even my cruise boarding docs.

Edit: This what it sorta looks like except it all black - http://www.target.com/p/swissgear-vertical-travel-bag-black-grey/-/A-11149392

This is the one I use, and love it.

http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p/swissgear-vertical-travel-bag-black-grey/-/A-11149392