Onboard Solstice - Luminae

koolforkatz

I am sailing on the Solstice now en route to Vancouver, in a sky suite so thought I would post some observations.

First, able to upgrade from classic to premium but it was a flat $12 pp not $11.80. Then i realized the gratuity was built into the price. All drinks onboard show total price with grat built in so I find that a bit confusing at first. I guess this was because they have been in Australia for past several months?

Luminae.... The room is gorgeous and just isn't captured well in photos. Really pretty. But still don't have their proper chairs, plates, linen or crystal. They have been working on Luminae for how many months now? I find it surprising they couldn't have this all on the ship in time. Wine is served in regular thick glasses. Not really a luxury experience on that front. Despite receiving a letter in our cabin suggesting otherwise, def no lunch service and that has been verbally confirmed. We haven't had a sea day yet so haven't experienced brunch yet. Breakfast is ok. Wine list by glass is ok, i thought there might be more choices.

But food at dinner has been absolutely amazing and seems to get better each night. I would book a suite again just to be able to eat here. Last night, first formal, the little dessert cart came around with whimsical takes on childhood favourites like jello and marshmallow. Sounds strange, but great presentation and was good too. As mentioned by needtobespoiled, the olive oil custard is really good. And the tuna tartare appetizer last night was probably the best I have ever had. Oh, and the Maine lobster salad also very, very good - different looking than needtobespoiled's. Not drowning at all in mayo. Overly salty has not been an issue. All perfectly seasoned.

We had dinner at Murano the other night and it was probably one of the best meals we've ever had at their French restaurants. Really, really good. It is a bit more rushed than it used to be but that's ok. We are doing a cooking class with them on first sea day. Takes place at lunchtime and you make an appie, entree, dessert and then sit down to enjoy with wine. And you get a copy of their mammoth cookbook. Fortunately, we are in Vancouver and a cab ride home so its weight wont be a problem.

Just as an fyi, for elites the price to upgrade to unlimited internet package is $90.

Great cruise overall so far. There are some really good musical acts on here. Last night the ship was positively hopping in the evening. First formal, no shortage of tuxes and long dresses. Lots of people dressed up.

Must go - time for breakfast :)

Thanks for this bit of exciting news on Solstice. Are you planning to come back as time permits to give your updates? I hope so and look forward to reading more. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Back again. Breakfast this morning was very good. Piping hot. The fruit plate is very good and includes papaya and mango. Fabulous. Orange and grapefruit juice are fresh squeezed and pulpy. Yum.....

Forgot to mention i have been able to have cheese in Luminae. The good cheese ;) I really think this should be on the menu anyway for this type of food experience. Perhaps if enough ask for it, they will include it.

Also available every night in Luminae are those items that are offered every night in MDR, the classic offerings, I think they are called?

We are in 2151, right under Oceanview. The dragging chairs can be mildly annoying at times but I would definitely book it again. Totally private and protected from elements, including very hot sun and occasional tropical shower.

Was Luminae open for embarkation lunch? There seems to be different answers on that front...

We will be embarking in Vancouver, when you are getting off. Jut got word from celebrity that there 3 ships in port that day, so expect longer times for disembarkation.

Great start...enjoy your cruise

never saw the cooking class in Murano offered on our recent cruises...how much does it cost..?.

would love to hear more about it...sounds like great fun!

Thanks for the update. We had nice new glasses but old tables / chairs on Summit. The new tables and chairs are supposedly waiting in NJ. Not sure when they'll be delivered on Solstice as it never makes a "home port".

It's nice to hear they continue to improve!

The glass wear is not Riedel, as they purposely went with a led free glass and more of a modern shape. HINT: If I ordered a nice bottle of wine, I would ask them to go get Riedel glasses from Murano, I've actually had them do this for a nice bottle of wine in the MDR and they've done it without complaint.

Have a great rest of your trip!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for the updates.

I'm interested in that $90 to upgrade to unlimited internet.

We are Elite and, as far as I know, i t was $350 for unlimited on our 14 day Eclipse cruise last winter.

How long is your cruise?

I sure hope you're right!

Hi, Kool – Thank you for posting your Luminae impressions!

SO delighted to learn that you were able to have an excellent cheese course!!! :) Sounds like dinners have been delicious, and, hopefully, it won’t be long until Luminae is also serving her scrumptious lunches each day, including port days.

Looking forward to your further Luminae observations. 

Edited by MiaPortia

Thanks for the updates.

I'm interested in that $90 to upgrade to unlimited internet.

We are Elite and, as far as I know, i t was $350 for unlimited on our 14 day Eclipse cruise last winter.

How long is your cruise?

I sure hope you're right!

The OP corrected it in post#5. $90 credit toward the cost of the unlimited package.

Sounds great! Hope it gets better and better (but I would also be mildly annoyed that the wine isn't served in nice glasses - it makes such a difference! ) I hate to bother you on vacation, but we sail on the Solstice on may 29. I'm dying to know if we will get the molecular bar or world class bar. One of the reasons that we booked the solstice was the molecular bar, so I'd love to know if I get one more chance! If you could ask I would be much appreciative!

Just to answer a few questions. Yes, we have two complimentary specialty restaurant nights and have used one. This, on an 11 night cruise.

The Murano cooking class is $149 a couple. I pay $60 at home for a cooking class so think that is good. I didn't see it advertised anywhere. Our server in Murano mentioned it.

No embarkation lunch :( Disappointing.

We have befriended the cellarmaster sommelier and he let us take our Riedels into Luminae last night. Yay :)

Other bits and bobs. Our towels are not the thick fluffy ones we have received in the past and others have noted as well. We have received a few that are frayed, like, really frayed. Doesn't ruin my cruise at all but kind of strange. Hmm.... On positive note, received long, thin box of chocolates in cabin on formal night.

Had peppered tuna in Luminae for dinner last night and husband had braised short ribs. Both outstanding. Unfortunately, although very tasty, my grilled octopus was very tough, even by octopus standards. My husband had chicken liver pate and it was amazing.

Must go - breakfast is here. First time we have ordered room service on this cruise.

Equinox does not have lunch in Luminae any day including embarkation day.

They received the new tables but they are still covered with table cloths since they are waiting for new runners.....

Edited by TommyD3

We had embarkation lunch in Luminae on the Summit.

Was this recently, or during the summer Bermuda Cruises.

Best I have observed this practice was only Summit and Only Bermuda, for Aqua in BLU and Suites in Murano.

EDIT:OOPS, see pu specified Luminae. As in my thread I started, another glitch in the training and roll-out and consistency.

Edited by cle-guy