Swimsuit Cover-Up on Cold-Weather Cruises

Just curious what others wear over their swimsuits to get to/from the pool (either indoor pool or outdoor hot tubs) on cold weather cruises?

I'm taking my first Alaska cruise this summer. I usually throw on a sun-dress to get to and from the pool, but this might be out of place on an Alaska cruise! :) I'll likely only be using the solarium pool if that makes a difference (as I can get there indoors).

Thanks in advance!

Just curious what others wear over their swimsuits to get to/from the pool (either indoor pool or outdoor hot tubs) on cold weather cruises?

I'm taking my first Alaska cruise this summer. I usually throw on a sun-dress to get to and from the pool, but this might be out of place on an Alaska cruise! :) I'll likely only be using the solarium pool if that makes a difference (as I can get there indoors).

Thanks in advance!

Depending on the cruise line. Some supply bathrobes in the cabin. If not ask the room steward. Depending on the weather , a sun dress might be the appropriate outfit to wear . We have been in Alaska when the shore temperatures (not at sea) have been in the mid 80's to low 90's.

Edited by Kamloops50

Sundress or a tunic or caftan with longer sleeves if it's part of my packing plan. I'm one of those who believes that robes are for the privacy of a cabin.

I don't worry too much about this. I'm either sitting on deck or my balcony in warm (enough) clothing, or I'm in a hot tub (or it's warm enough for the pool...) and then if I'm cold, I'll go to my cabin and change.

I wore a short, (mid thigh) black & white striped cover up with longish sleeves & a hood, on our last cruise. Some days were so cold we had hail on deck :) I've never seen so many people walking around wearing their bathrobes, I know that's usually frowned upon, but in this case, we hit one cold storm after another, which most were unprepared for, so I completely understood. :)

I wore the bathrobe on the way to and from the pool because the hallways of the ship were freezing. That was unexpected on our last warm weather cruise. On a cold weather cruise, I don't use the pool.

Sweatshirt sounds good, but would you really want to wear linen pants over your wet bathing suit? I love linen pants for warm weather cruises and city tours. They are cool and look better than shorts which may be inappropriate in some countries.

Thanks all!

I don't really want to wear my regular clothes over my swimsuit due to the risk of them smelling like chlorine for the rest of the cruise. If anything, I wouldn't mind wearing - t-shirt and capris to the pool, but would end up having to run back to my room in a towel afterwards... And I think that would be frowned on on Celebrity! :)

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else wore! Regular clothes? Sundress? Bathrobe? Decisions decisions!

I have a long tunic/ with a hoodie that I wear. I could actually wear leggings with it, an toodle around town. It comes mid thighsih, so im ok in elevator or halls with bathing suit underneath and towel in hand. You might try looking out of the box and much larger sizing, for a cover up. I also have a maxi dress, a sundress, a long button down and a short strapless dress, for pool cover- ups. We have a pool but I feel different company requires a different coverage, lol. AND I LIKE CLOTHES. Be comfortable in what ever you choose.

How about a light weight dress like the Arc'teryx Contenta Dress. It is made of super light fabric, doesn't wrinkle, dries super fast and looks very stylish. You can wear it a number of ways depending on where you tighten the waist drawstring. I own two of them, the black and the raku and they are what I am planning to use as a swimsuit cover up. The dress is such that it can be dressed up or down as needed.

PS. To deal with the chlorine smell, you can easily rinse it in your sink and it will be dry by morning.

Edited by Danni3ll3

I'm curious too since it's our first cruise to Alaska. How about a sweatshirt and linen pants?

That sounds like something I would wear:).......I sail to Alaska on

Friday but I am not even bringing a bathing suit with me this trip.

Thanks all!

I wouldn't typically use the pools on these port-intensive cool weather cruises but I have a feeling with all of the early mornings and active tours, I will need a way to unwind at the end of the day (and on the 2 sea days!). The solarium and thalassotherapy pool seems like the perfect place to do that! :)

That dress is cute but out of my price range since I'd likely never wear it again, unfortunately.

I'm hoping to wear something I already own or that I could at least wear for other uses - I will keep my eye out for longer tunics that I could wear with leggings in Vancouver pre-cruise, and the like!