Carrying plates rather than using trays at buffet?

tbmrt

The only thing wrong about getting salads first, leaving empty plates, then go for the rest of the meal, when you return to your table, the plates were removed, with drinks, and someone else is sitting there.

Sometimes, we just find a table, one sits, and the other gets his salad. We never really eat together. I guess I want the MDR to be open every lunch, and not just at sea. :)

That's just one of the reasons that we really dislike the buffet...it is impossible, in our experience for two people to eat together.

My basic meal is soup, some main dish/sandwich/salad and soda or eggs made to order, meat, muffin and coffee. While I'm getting all those, my DW is sitting there fighting off those who want my temporarily empty chair...and then she gets her meal while I'm eating. Alternatively, I get my soup, come back, she goes off and gets something, returns..now I've finished my soup so I get something else, return and she's finished and off to get something. Heck...we could probably do the same using just one chair .... maybe that was celebrity's plan all along.

At least with trays, you can gather everything together on one trip...although of course it will be luke warm when you finally get to the table.

Best solution for us....don't eat at the buffet.

Edited by ghstudio

This makes my head spin....I will never again let my children eat lunch at school. I'll never eat in a hospital (or any other cafeteria again....and let's not forget that we shouldn't eat in the ship's dining rooms because the waiters use trays.

I suppose one could also believe that the reason they eliminated flowers in the cabin is that they could carry germs.

Please....

Having researched several hospitality trade websites with my son who was looking at potential sources of infection spread in a hotel environment cafeteria trays appeared very high on the list (waiters less so perhaps because there was less transfer of trays to others. Evidently the heat required for effective sterilisation significantly reduces the lifespan of laminate trays.

I am sorry your head is spinning, but I believe it is a valid issue

I have seen chairs tipped toward the table and that is a fine indication that someone is going to use that table and is away getting their food.

that may be an indication to you...but in our experience, that chair is as good as gone the moment you leave it unguarded.....

No trays at the buffet isn't a deal breaker for us, but given a preference, I would prefer there be trays.

On our last cruise, my husband took in a little too much sun at one port and had some trouble getting around. I'd grab a tray and some food and we'd have lunch/dinner in the cabin.

I know room service is available, but the offerings are limited. Like I said, not a deal breaker, but a convenience many people would miss under a particular set of circumstances.

Having researched several hospitality trade websites with my son who was looking at potential sources of infection spread in a hotel environment cafeteria trays appeared very high on the list (waiters less so perhaps because there was less transfer of trays to others. Evidently the heat required for effective sterilisation significantly reduces the lifespan of laminate trays.

Interesting. Can you cite a source for this?

Hotel or other trays are high on the list because many hotels/etc. just wipe trays off with a cloth and put them out for the next person. Using that same logic would suggest eliminating plates if they just rinsed them off.....I guess that would be a reason for just using your hands to hold the stew/soup, etc. sometimes you actually need equipment to keep things healthy...and part of that equipment is steam tray sterilizers. Oh, I forgot...that costs money....

It's not the trays...it's the fact that you actually do have to sterilize them just like plates which costs too much, etc.

I am currently on the Summit and we DO have trays in the buffet. Not a lot, as I think they would prefer you don't use one. The trays are smaller than before. The plates are smaller than the round ones I remember from the past. They are square and there are two sizes though mostly only the "smaller" luncheon size can be found.

On the Infinity in February there were no trays in the buffet. I filled out an Attention to Detail card expressing my concern. I pointed out that if you are one person there is no one to "hold" a table. On that trip I experienced leaving drinks on the table and coming back to find someone else sitting at the table and leaving some food on the table to go get something else and the food was cleared away when I returned.

The next day I received a call from the maitre de of the cafe, and we had a long discussion about this issue. He did say that they were considering reinstating trays in the buffet. He also said they were considered some type of reserved sign for the tables. He did say he would pass along my concerns. He did not state a reason for the removal in the first place.

Carolyn

It's easier for me to carry two plates than it is to carry a tray.

I know that you're taking a chance when you leave your place to go get another serving of something, I've never seen anyone having to "fight someone off" to keep their chair ...

The one drawback that I noticed is with someone that is handicapped. Only 1 arm/hand or had a cast on. I would see them get a plate and have to go back for coffee, then go back for orange juice, etc. By the time they were settled the food was probably cold. Maybe they have trays in the back and you could request one if needed? I certainly didn't see any offered....

No need to do that. The cruise staff will gladly get drinks, etc. for you. Why can't people just LEARN to ASK? They have never refused to help me when I asked for help.

On the Infinity in February there were no trays in the buffet. I filled out an Attention to Detail card expressing my concern. I pointed out that if you are one person there is no one to "hold" a table. On that trip I experienced leaving drinks on the table and coming back to find someone else sitting at the table and leaving some food on the table to go get something else and the food was cleared away when I returned.

The next day I received a call from the maitre de of the cafe, and we had a long discussion about this issue. He did say that they were considering reinstating trays in the buffet. He also said they were considered some type of reserved sign for the tables. He did say he would pass along my concerns. He did not state a reason for the removal in the first place.

Carolyn

How about the dreaded virus? I know germs supposedly only live for seconds but I would prefer to carry a clean plane to a tray an ill person had just used.

I also try to avoid the buffet and in 25 or more cruises have never been ill.

We have never had a problem finding and holding a table. Simply get your wrapped silverware and your drink and place it at your table. Often I place my wrapped straw over my class to indicate I have not started my beverage. I don't ever recall my place being disturbed.

I then find it easier to carry something in each hand if needed. For instance, a bowl of soup or salad and a plate with something else.

What saddens me often are the numbers of people who take a lot of food and "taste it" and leave it. So much waste.

If X is trying to save money by removing the trays, it doesn't work on me. I usually make two trips to the buffet, as I drop the main dish and salad over the table, and go back for the dessert and beverage. And if I'm not full, I repeat! :D

If we talk about the MDR, I'm another headache for X, specially during lobster's nights. Since I regularly ask three or four tails at once, depending on their size. And double shrimp cocktail. Love it!

Well the buffet does not sound too pleasant.

At the all inclusives we've been to they have had a host/hostess seat your party. You also have an assigned waiter to get drinks and bus staff to clean tables. It is not a free for all.

Seems like the buffets on Celebrity would benefit from a little extra service.

We were on the Solstice a few years ago and that was out first time without trays. It's not a big deal, but I prefer the trays. It's difficult to get an entire meal and drink moving from one food island to another with small plates. We found that we had to get one thing, set it on the table, get the next item, set it down, and so on. We lost our table once doing that, so after that one of us sat at the table to hold it while the other finished getting his/her meal. We saw a homemade laminated sign that someone made saying that the meal was still in progress and not to clean the table. We're taking a sign with us when we cruise Reelection later this year.

Well the buffet does not sound too pleasant.

At the all inclusives we've been to they have had a host/hostess seat your party. You also have an assigned waiter to get drinks and bus staff to clean tables. It is not a free for all.

Seems like the buffets on Celebrity would benefit from a little extra service.

All-inclusive resorts really cannot be compared to a cruise ship.

It's like comparing apples to kumquats ;)

All-inclusive resorts really cannot be compared to a cruise ship.

It's like comparing apples to kumquats ;)

Sorry. I disagree. While they are not the same, there are similarities. Feeding large amounts of people in a buffet is one of them!

We saw a homemade laminated sign that someone made saying that the meal was still in progress and not to clean the table. We're taking a sign with us when we cruise Reelection later this year.

That probably will work for 99% of the passengers....but you have to watch out for the folks that reserve chaises in the sun AND the shade for the day and the ones that need that chair for their "service dog".....also known as the folks who only care about "me". They do exist, they do cruise and they will more than likely ignore your sign or leave your table for you but take all the chairs.

It was certainly like that in 2010 in Equinox, no trays. Personally I far prefer that method than the school dinner type trays and I am happy to work on a course by course basis

Agree! We like it better as well! :)

LuLu

The only thing wrong about getting salads first, leaving empty plates, then go for the rest of the meal, when you return to your table, the plates were removed, with drinks, and someone else is sitting there.

It means one goes, and the other guards the table, you return, he leaves, and you don't really eat together.

I wish there were more tables in the buffets. But, the ships are already built, and the design is what it is.

Sometimes, we just find a table, one sits, and the other gets his salad. We never really eat together. I guess I want the MDR to be open every lunch, and not just at sea. :)

We have done the cafeteria shuffle several times, with me finding a table, my wife getting her breakfast or lunch, me then going for my meal, her then going to refill our coffees... Eventually we get settled in and have our breakfast or lunch together. We usually go to the MDR though. If it is not a sea day and they are not open then we aren't there and many others aren't there and the whole cafeteria thing is easier for the few who are there.

We usually get some juice and our cutlery and then leave them on our table along with my sweater on the chair and a book for DH. Have never had our table taken yet when we came back with food.

Oh, Seat Savers!

At hockey games with unassigned seating we always bring an old jacket to drape over the back of our seat so it doesn't get filled when we dash out to the concession stand. Old jacket because if it goes missing, no harm, no foul.

Edited by CanadianDee