Carrying plates rather than using trays at buffet?

tbmrt

How about the dreaded virus? I know germs supposedly only live for seconds but I would prefer to carry a clean plane to a tray an ill person had just used.

I also try to avoid the buffet and in 25 or more cruises have never been ill.

Those people who are concerned about a virus do not have to use a tray. Trays could be available and those who want them will have them and those that don't want them do not have to use them.

Carolyn

Those people who are concerned about a virus do not have to use a tray. Trays could be available and those who want them will have them and those that don't want them do not have to use them.

Carolyn

Perfectly reasoned.

Carolyn

Those worried about getting a virus from the tray should probably be more concerned about picking up the the serving utensils (spoons/tongs) to put something on their plate...tray or not.

Edited by ghstudio

What is this all about? Why can't we use a tray or a plate whatever is your preference? Been cruising since 1986, been on over 90+ cruises and seen both being used. Now, we have to go back and forth on something as trivial as this? What is next? LOL

OK. If I eat at the buffet and I serve myself whatever dish, do I need to wash my hands or use sanitizer before I serve myself the next item at the buffet????

You aren't required to do either even before you enter the buffet area.....and conveniently the rest rooms are just outside the doors.

That's just one of the reasons that we really dislike the buffet...it is impossible, in our experience for two people to eat together.

My basic meal is soup, some main dish/sandwich/salad and soda or eggs made to order, meat, muffin and coffee. While I'm getting all those, my DW is sitting there fighting off those who want my temporarily empty chair...and then she gets her meal while I'm eating. Alternatively, I get my soup, come back, she goes off and gets something, returns..now I've finished my soup so I get something else, return and she's finished and off to get something. Heck...we could probably do the same using just one chair .... maybe that was celebrity's plan all along.

At least with trays, you can gather everything together on one trip...although of course it will be luke warm when you finally get to the table.

Best solution for us....don't eat at the buffet.

Fighting off those who want you temporarily empty chair?? A little melodramatic, wouldn't you say?

Maybe we are just small eaters, but we've never had a problem eating together due to lack of trays.

Fighting off those who want you temporarily empty chair?? A little melodramatic, wouldn't you say?

Maybe we are just small eaters, but we've never had a problem eating together due to lack of trays.

Actually, it's not that melodramatic. You might be amazed at the number of folks that come up to the table, put their hands on the back of the empty chair and ask my DW (or me) if it's OK to take the chair. And I'm also not being melodramatic when I tell you that some will say...I'll return it when your DW comes back.

Trays do reduce the number of trips you have to make to the buffet/food/drink area so they help eating together.

LOL. I wondered about that explanation, too. They couldn't adequately sterilize the trays? Now I'm worried about the plates.:eek:

I'm considering eating directly from the buffet ...

Just go down the line with your fork and spoon...LOL

on the S class ships there is no place to rest a tray while you are scooping your food. A plate is much easier to manage. I put my cutlery in my pocket.

To save your seat just leave personal items on your chairs. I have a small back pack that I take to the buffet and use that and my refillable drink cups.

Never had a problem

it would be nice if the card players would leave during meal times to free up more tables!!

http://www.tend.com/the-most-surprising-places-youll-find-germs-at-school/

There are more articles but here is just a quick blurb on trays and germs.

What a surprise! A company that sells germicide wipes writes a scary piece about all the places nasty icky ugly [but probably harmless] germs might be hiding.

But on the issue of cafeteria trays in particular, note that they say that these are germ harbors because they are not often cleaned. That may be true in some school cafeterias, but not true other places. The problem as noted earlier by someone else is that the plastic laminate trays may delaminate over time from the high heat of commercial washers.

I doubt that germs or even the cost of replacing trays periodically has much to do with the removal of the trays. I think it has more to do with an attempt to provide an ambiance that is slightly higher than a grade-school cafeteria. But there may be dozens of reasons, all of them trivial, which factored into the decision.

This is an old issue --

Some people make light of it--

I see it as you are on vacation, why would you want to have to juggle your plate and think about food getting cold.

In my opinion it does save money, people can take less food if no tray.

Actually on a Princess cruise recently, the plates were handed out and were too hot to handle..Now who wants to put a cold salad on a hot plate? not to mention watching a pat of butter melting in front of your eyes--

The cruise lines should think this through--one answer is to have people serving drinks ,some cruise lines have some staff serving drinks but not enough doing so..

We were on the Millennium last month. No trays.

One of our dinner partners was traveling alone. When he went to the Oceanview Cafe, he would get a plate of food, return to his table and go back to get to get something else like coffee. Seemingly, the crew was very, very efficient.

Six times during the cruise his full and fresh plate had been removed by the time he got back with his coffee, juice, or second plate. Less than three minutes and GONE.

He got quite upset after the second time. He told management but it kept happening again and again.

With a tray, he could have made a single trip and avoided this hassle.

Mike in Ohio

We were on the Millennium last month. No trays.

One of our dinner partners was traveling alone. When he went to the Oceanview Cafe, he would get a plate of food, return to his table and go back to get to get something else like coffee. Seemingly, the crew was very, very efficient.

Six times during the cruise his full and fresh plate had been removed by the time he got back with his coffee, juice, or second plate. Less than three minutes and GONE.

He got quite upset after the second time. He told management but it kept happening again and again.

With a tray, he could have made a single trip and avoided this hassle.

Mike in Ohio

My point exactly!

Carolyn

It seems everyone who likes to overload a plate because they do not want to go back for more food, drop some on the floor creating a hazard. Sometime it is noticed,other times I get someone to clean it up.

I prefer trays,my husband uses a cane, will not go through the buffet line, it's my job to get his food,then a drink, then my food,then dessert. You know why I don't gain weight.

LOL. I wondered about that explanation, too. They couldn't adequately sterilize the trays? Now I'm worried about the plates.:eek:

I'm considering eating directly from the buffet ...

That is soooo funny. But thank you for making light of this whole discussion. Storm in a teacup as they say. My advice, you are on holidays, go with the flow, and always remember - there is plenty of food for everyone and the lunch period is spread over possibly 3 hours. My plan of action is, if too crowded then I go have a delightful cocktail/smoothy etc, sit in a nice quiet area elsewhere for a little while, then come back after the main crowd has been fed and watered. No stress, just bliss.