Specific Question re: Aqua Cabins on Summit

cle-guy

I just booked Celebrity Summit as part of an Atlantis Charter out of san Juan next March 12-19 - her first sailing post drydock.

Anyway, I'm traveling with 2 friends - 3 of us.

It just donned on me that normal booking via X only allows 2 guests in Aqua class cabins. (we are waitlisted for Sky Suite or FV). Since this is a charter, X cares not how they fill their ship so Atlantis will book however until they reach full ship capacity without regard for the usual 2 max in Aqua, or 5 min. for FV.....reservations are handled exclusively by the group, and payments also by the group (they don't show as Celebrity but Atlantis).

My question is, does the sofa still pull out to make a sofa bed?

We have an A1 cabin, no. 1113, one of the new cabins on the top deck if that makes any difference.

The answer is not rewarding.....MOST open to a bed. Some of the sofa beds have no mechanism and are actually just storage space under the seat. The only way to be sure is to find someone who has had that cabin.

I just booked Celebrity Summit as part of an Atlantis Charter out of san Juan next March 12-19 - her first sailing post drydock.

Anyway, I'm traveling with 2 friends - 3 of us.

It just donned on me that normal booking via X only allows 2 guests in Aqua class cabins. (we are waitlisted for Sky Suite or FV). Since this is a charter, X cares not how they fill their ship so Atlantis will book however until they reach full ship capacity without regard for the usual 2 max in Aqua, or 5 min. for FV.....reservations are handled exclusively by the group, and payments also by the group (they don't show as Celebrity but Atlantis).

My question is, does the sofa still pull out to make a sofa bed?

We have an A1 cabin, no. 1113, one of the new cabins on the top deck if that makes any difference.

Hope your not the shortest person, seriously I would check that out and get a certain answer before you go or someone will be sleeping on the couch.

The AQ cabins on deck 9 were former CC class cabins that were "converted" to AQ. We were in one and don't remember being able to pull out.

The cabins on deck 11 were made for extra AQ class and even though they are made to be the same as those on deck 9 they don't pull out. We were in one last year, don't remember the number but it was the last one by the aft on the starboard. The whole row of cabin on that side had HVAC issues, there were no footstools on the balcony, the shower leaked like a sieve, there is no protection from the elements on the balcony and it gets very windy when the ship is sailing.

We would always grab a bunch of towels from the pool to form a damn at the bottom of the shower door to absorb and hold back the water.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

It's a charter all bets are off, they can and do make a lot of exceptions.

And they likely have no clue if the sofa in a particular room is a pull out bed or a dummy.

Should be an interesting cruise....at least the first night.

Curt, I have booked the Infinity next May Deck 11 AQ. No suite as the prices were so high. I think you would be way too crowded with 3 adults in this cabin. Good luck, Heather

Certainly not ideal. We had been ready to book the FV, then it sold out while on the phone. Then we regrouped and decided to suck up the sky suite, and it was gone. Cruise is booking fast, and it's not even on general sale yet, only to those who've sailed in the past with them, being on sale just 3 days, all suites sold out, FV gone, all lowest level insides gone. Both penthouse sold this morning between 9am and 11 am.

The AQ is priced the same as FV was.

but this is a fun, party cruise, with 5 ports, and I've traveled with these guys before, so we'll get along fine. :D

Just now need to determine if AQ will work, or if we should downgrade to a normal veranda for the guaranteed sofa bed, thus my request for specific, deck 11 replies, which so far are varied.....

Edited by cle-guy

As others have said, sofas did not convert to beds because Aqua are not designed for three adults, certainly our sofa on Summit was fixed. The layout of these rooms is such that 3 would be a nightmare if not impossible.

Curt, I have booked the Infinity next May Deck 11 AQ. No suite as the prices were so high. I think you would be way too crowded with 3 adults in this cabin. Good luck, Heather

I'm sure Cle knows that the deck 11 cabins are exactly the same size (well, within a foot) as C2/C3 and A1 cabins on that ship. Other verandas are smaller.

I don't think Cle's question is whether there will be enough room...it's specific to whether there is a third bed. Presumably they will make due with the space...but would prefer that one of them not have to sleep on the floor or unopened sofa.

Since celebrity has those sofas both with and without pullout mechanism, he really needs to find someone in that exact cabin on that exact ship and who has looked at the sofa to know the answer.

Edited by ghstudio

As others have said, sofas did not convert to beds because Aqua are not designed for three adults, certainly our sofa on Summit was fixed. The layout of these rooms is such that 3 would be a nightmare if not impossible.

How does the layout of these cabins vary from any of the standard verandas that sleep 4 people? They seem to be in fact slightly larger.... Is the furniture layout different? Curious to hear, as I'd assume concierge cabins should have same layout, being same sq. ft.

My concern isn't space, as GH states, but the bed layout.

May need to downgrade to concierge, my TA is reaching out to her contacts on board tomorrow to see what they can determine.

How does the layout of these cabins vary from any of the standard verandas that sleep 4 people? They seem to be in fact slightly larger.... Is the furniture layout different? Curious to hear, as I'd assume concierge cabins should have same layout, being same sq. ft.

My concern isn't space, as GH states, but the bed layout.

May need to downgrade to concierge, my TA is reaching out to her contacts on board tomorrow to see what they can determine.

Cle...we've stayed in both A2's on deck 9 and A1's on deck 11 (infinity). The cabins are essentially identical in size and layout.

There are some unique and exciting "features" on the deck 11 cabins. Make sure you take duck tape and a (24") bungee cord :)

There is no way to hold the balcony door open or closed when you are outside....it just swings open/shut ...or should I say slams open/shut if there's much movement of the ship. Bungee cord to the rescue to hold it open. There is, however, no solution to keeping it closed while you are outside on the balcony. yes...an interesting design feature.

the stops holding the drawers and closet doors closed are weak (if there are any stops) so that in rougher seas the doors and drawers slam open and closed unless you tape them with duct tape. We had a night of musical end tables until I stuffed clothes around them to keep things closed so we could sleep.

I don't recall the balcony door problem on deck 9...but we've been booking deck 11 recently. Never had drawers/doors open close on their own on deck 9.

Edited by ghstudio

Cle...we've stayed in both A2's on deck 9 and A1's on deck 11 (infinity). The cabins are essentially identical in size and layout.

There are some unique and exciting "features" on the deck 11 cabins. Make sure you take duck tape and a (24") bungee cord :)

Always travel with roll of duct tape, and 2 bungee cords...learned that here. Also a door stop comes in handy sometimes.

Normally bungee holds unused hangers tight so they don't rattle.

And I've read lots about the "features" on deck 11, my favorite seem to be the impromptu wading pools that form and keep the hallway carpets moist.

On the Celebrity deck plans, cabins with a convertible sofa bed are normally marked with a square symbol. None of the Aqua cabins have that symbol. That makes sense since a third passenger is normally not allowed in Aqua cabins: why would Celebrity equip these cabins with a sofa bed if they are not planned to be used?

Honestly, the chance to get one in case it would have been put "by mistake" in your cabin is quite small.

Sorry.

Agree completely, can't see them spending extra money to buy convertible sofas when they are going into cabins that only take two people.

My days at Marriott, and having gone through 3 complete hotel refurbishments, the convertible beds purchased from companies that specialized in hotel furnishings the sofa bed was about $25 extra. We chose to put them in all rooms so that if one was broken a swap was easy, standardization made up for the relatively insignificant savings overall.

When you look at deck plans on X ships with cabins that have a mix of sofa beds and non-sofa beds, often it ends up being some sort of obstruction in the corner of the cabin that made the determination of the type of furniture placed there and a smaller than normal sofa or some odd sized chair.

This said, I looked to Reflection, and its newly converted Sky Suites that were Aqua Suites, appears the converted cabins can easily be determined now to us insiders, they are missing the little sofa bed indicator...so beware people booking sky suites on reflection, they don't all have sofa beds anymore according to the deck plans.

My days at Marriott, and having gone through 3 complete hotel refurbishments, the convertible beds purchased from companies that specialized in hotel furnishings the sofa bed was about $25 extra. We chose to put them in all rooms so that if one was broken a swap was easy, standardization made up for the relatively insignificant savings overall.

When you look at deck plans on X ships with cabins that have a mix of sofa beds and non-sofa beds, often it ends up being some sort of obstruction in the corner of the cabin that made the determination of the type of furniture placed there and a smaller than normal sofa or some odd sized chair.

This said, I looked to Reflection, and its newly converted Sky Suites that were Aqua Suites, appears the converted cabins can easily be determined now to us insiders, they are missing the little sofa bed indicator...so beware people booking sky suites on reflection, they don't all have sofa beds anymore according to the deck plans.

$25 adds up over 9 ships...Let us know how you make out, this is an interesting question.

Edited by dkjretired

$25 adds up over 9 ships...Let us know how you make out, this is an interesting question.

Regarding Standardization....find a book by Gordon Bethune called "From Worst to First", it's his story of turning around Continental Airlines back in the day. Some of the biggest reasons for the successful turnaround was the militant style standardization of equipment and policies, that's why CO had an all Boeing fleet, and for a long time had limited varities of Boeing aircraft. The other big issue that turned things, was attention to staff and truing and working to keep them happy. Happy staff = happy customers. I run my business with this in mind.

Standardization saved training costs, lowered inventory costs by having to stock a lesser assortment of parts, made staff training simpler because there wasn't a whole heirarchy of exceptions to the rule or different answers for different circumstances. It was a really good insight and a great read.

I see MANY areas where if X would standardize things, how guest relations, customer satisfaction, and cost savings could be improved.

I just emailed the concierge on Summit, will of course report back any relevant findings!

We've stayed in a Deck 11 AQ cabin on the Summit, and the "sofa" does not pull out to become a bed. It's not really sofa-sized, but rather loveseat-sized so if someone chose to to sleep on it, they'd need to be rather short in stature to fit comfortably.

We had no problems with the shower door leaking. A gentle tug on the door once inside the shower made the door seal properly.

The balcony is not deep and was fine for 2 people - there isn't room for 3.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what room you get!

The reply from the Concierge on the Summit was:

I hope your day is going well.

After consulting the Housekeeping department, it appears that the Aqua Class Staterooms on Deck 9 do have a pull out sofa. The newer ones on deck 11 do not.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Actually kind of the OPPOSITE of what I was expecting!

Edited by cle-guy

We've stayed in a Deck 11 AQ cabin on the Summit, and the "sofa" does not pull out to become a bed. It's not really sofa-sized, but rather loveseat-sized so if someone chose to to sleep on it, they'd need to be rather short in stature to fit comfortably.

Those 'non-sofa loveseats" are exactly what are in all those rooms in the deck plans with the square black boxes...and in those rooms, they do pull out to make a bed. The cabins on deck 9 (m-class) were concierge cabins in fact many still have the concierge class labels on the doors. When they created aqua class, they did not change any furniture so many of those cabins have the same pull out sofa they had as concierge cabins.

We now know from the MC Concierge (through Cle) that the sofas installed in the m-class new cabins on deck 11 do not have pull out beds (at least on the summit).