Would you rather take one 10-night cruise, or two 5-nighters?

lt9921

The Anthem will be out of Bayonne and the Brilliance out of Tampa. Are you debating on whether to do the 2 five day cruises at two different times throughout the year? I personally enjoy the longer cruises but if the cost is similar and this gives you a chance to experience two different itineraries on two different ships go for it!

Yes, that's exactly what I'm considering. I probably should have mentioned that and elaborated a little more in the first post, as it seems like some posters didn't fully understand. Sorry!

If we did the combo of two 5 nighters, the Brilliance would be about 2-3 months prior to the Anthem cruise.

So it would either be one 10 night cruise on the Serenade in, lets say, March... OR a combo of one 5 night on the Brilliance in Feb, and another 5 night on the Anthem in May/June.

Edited by lt9921

...So it would either be one 10 night cruise on the Serenade in, lets say, March... OR a combo of one 5 night on the Brilliance in Feb, and another 5 night on the Anthem in May/June.

Now for sure I'd rather do the 10 night cruise.

I would do the longer cruise. I prefer to unpack and settle in aboard the ship. On a 5 nighter there just is not enough time between unpacking and packing back up. I can also do just fine without two muster drills.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm considering. I probably should have mentioned that and elaborated a little more in the first post, as it seems like some posters didn't fully understand. Sorry!

If we did the combo of two 5 nighters, the Brilliance would be about 2-3 months prior to the Anthem cruise.

So it would either be one 10 night cruise on the Serenade in, lets say, March... OR a combo of one 5 night on the Brilliance in Feb, and another 5 night on the Anthem in May/June.

No way. In addition to everything else that I don't like about shorter cruises I can do without paying air fare twice.

As a Floridian with low travel expenses, I definitely prefer two shorter cruises. I enjoy having the planning and anticipation twice and the chance to experience two different ships. I am one of those people who insists on packing shoes that match only one outfit, so I find it much easier to pack for shorter cruises. And I get really, really tired of all of the eating; after the third day, I lose interest and dread those long, multi-course dinners.

I find the 5-night cruises to be more like the 7-nighters than the 3-nighters, as far as a "party" atmosphere. And I can't even begin to describe how distasteful I find it to be described by a previous poster as "discount/party travelers". What is wrong with some of the people here on CC??!!

No way. In addition to everything else that I don't like about shorter cruises I can do without paying air fare twice.

I'd only have to fly for the Brilliance cruise. I just like the idea of experiencing two different ships, but it might not be worth it.

Never! Of course, I'm retired and take one long (25+ days) a year. However, when I first started cruising, 7 days was the shortest I would do.

I want to unpack, relax and not have to do it again in 3 or 4 days, not a chance.

I live in Chicago so we always have to fly. I did the 5-day Brilliance, Key West and Cozumel in January, LOVED IT, and then in March, another 5-day on Liberty, Labadee and Ocho Rios. Definitely not the norm for me, but with work/school schedules, we just haven't been able to do a family cruise, and I actually did get a pretty good deal. Each cruise I took one of our daughters; 1 celebrating a college graduation, another celebrating high school graduation. Both graduations happened 3 years ago, so we were long over-due.

Really enjoyed the Brilliance cruise, but when you're used to 7 days or longer, they do seem quick. It got me out of Chicago in January though. :D

Also, I spent a good amount of time yesterday looking at cruises for next April. I'll be turning the big "55," and I would love to do something different, and right now Anthem to Bermuda is on my short list. We've never been to Bermuda, or NYC, and my husband is interested in Anthem.

My preference would be for the 10 day (we prefer 7 days, at least). BUT, we have to fly to any port except Boston and NY area, so the cost/hassle of that factors in.

Plus, we don't care about the ship, or, truth be told, even the cruise line, as long as the timing, price and itinerary are right. If a 5-day showed up today for somewhere we want to go, and the timing and price were right, we'd jump on it, in addition to the 10 day we currently have planned for the fall...

Definitely one longer cruise for me. I'm still working and it usually takes me a day or 2 to unwind and truly get into vacation mode. Then, unfortunately, I start thinking about work again with a day or 2 left. One a 5 day cruise, I'd only end up with one or two very relaxed days.

Ah, this is different than what I had thought.

Like Bob and others have already said, in this case I would do one of the longer cruises for sure.

By the way look closely at the 9 night vs. 5 night prices on Anthem next May... not much difference. The 5 night Bermuda are ridiculously priced imo, so I personally would not at all consider the two separate cruises whatsoever. The Anthem 9 day May 5th is well priced, and with no flights, and your anticipation of a new modern ship, I would choose Anthem in this case. Like my previous reply to you, do you want this cruise for the ports or the ship? Ports... go Serenade. Ship... go Anthem. :D

We have all but given up on 7 day cruises....just not worth the travel time, effort and cost for 7 days (we live in Las Vegas, so a long flight to and from Florida), we prefer longer cruises and B2B cruises.

We have done a couple of 7 day cruises were we have combined it with a land vacation also, spending a few days before or after the cruise to extend our vacation time.

Definitely 2, even if it isn't a B2B. Luv luv luv the planning -- the idea of experiencing 2 ships in the same year is outstanding! I'm employed full-time. I love the whole process of traveling even the hassle, hustle and bustle! :p

Never! Of course, I'm retired and take one long (25+ days) a year. However, when I first started cruising, 7 days was the shortest I would do.

I want to unpack, relax and not have to do it again in 3 or 4 days, not a chance.

Ah, a reason to look forward to retirement some day.:)

So it's one cruise on EITHER ship, or two cruises on both ships- same number of nights (roughly).

The benefit being that you get on two ships (for the latter).

I'd go for the long one. The ships are not going anywhere, and we've found that long cruises can be really nice. You get to know more of the staff and other cruisers on a long trip- and even though we are not really people who meet a lot of people- that does make things a little better.

I think given your options, I would do one long Anthem for one year, and then one long Serenade the other year (or whatever it ends up being).

Our first couple of cruises were 3 nighters on Sovereign of Seas in late 90's. They were great and we tried a 7 day cruise.... on Adventure of Seas out of San Juan and WOW!

Then we tried a 10 day on Island Princess and WOW again. Then we tried a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise on Celebrity Infinity! Double Wow.

For sure, there is a limit on how much of a longer cruise you will enjoy as my DW thinks 2 weeks is it for her. I am close behind, but want to try for a even longer cruise, most likely two 14 day cruises, B2B's. :)

So.......longer cruises, IHMO, allow you to relax and not feel you have to try everything as you only have a few days onboard, etc.

For sure, try it and see if you like it vs our opinions! :)

This would be a very tough choice. We do not like anything less than 7 days, but the one 10 day cruise we went on was very boring. The whole ship was in bed by 10PM every night. The 4 of us were the only ones in the disco almost every night. The one server joked that the average age on the cruise was dead.

When you put it that way, I'd do two shorties, I'm interested in trying out Q class, and this would give you a chance. Also, I got a little bored on Jewel (another radiance class) on our 7 night (Whixh was was port intensive,) but at night, there wasn't enough to do! We did Jewel on a 5 night and that was just fine. 5 nights on Q might be too short! But I'd prefer two trips with one on a brand new class than one longer trip on a class of ship where I got restless after a few days!

Either way, as my kids used to say when a friend got the cool toy for Christmas, "lucky!"