How bad is an inside on Jewel

We are looking at a Pacific Coastal cruise this fall on the Jewel and all categories are sold out except Insides L, N, & K.

How bad would one of these rooms be? Anyone stayed in these type rooms? We have always booked a balcony or jr. suite. Which floors or rooms would we need to avoid?

We are looking at the 10/3/15 out of LA. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by EbayCruiser

3639 appears to be available. This is a sideways inside that is larger -about 190 sq ft. I got 3635 assigned as a guarantee on a Brilliance TA and it was great. When you walk through the door, there is a huge amount of open space. On the right is about 4 feet of wall and then the closet. The bed is on the back wall on the right side facing the closet. Directly across from the door is the love seat. The bathroom is to the left of the door and the desk/vanity area is perpendicular to the bathroom along the left side wall. This layout could be flipped for 3639.

This cabin is a little bit of a walk, but the hall is quiet. The desk area is a little tight, but the huge amount of open space makes up for it. I have this cabin booked on the Jewel for the Panama Canal.

I've booked many different cabin types, including insides. I really don't mind them. Yes, I do prefer a balcony, but there are times when we travel on a budget and go for the inside.

Small tip in case you don't want complete darkness during the night: One thing I do is bring one (or two) of those small battery operated tea lights and place on the desk or nightstand at night. This way there is a small "glow" or light in the cabin vs. complete darkness (although some people do like it that way). Or, keep the bathroom light on with the door ajar just a hair to let a bit of light stream in.

Also, if you are the type that really does not stay in cabin for very long (just sleep, change/shower, etc.), then inside should be fine.

Also, because of the loss of a balcony, I like to book my inside with easy and quick access to a public deck with view, etc.

An inside on a cruise ship is better than an outside view of my neighbourhood. :D

We get a balcony when we can afford it, but insides are fine with us otherwise. I just found that higher decks are still better. Closer to everything and some fresh air is a shorter walk.

An inside on a cruise ship is better than an outside view of my neighbourhood. :D

We get a balcony when we can afford it, but insides are fine with us otherwise. I just found that higher decks are still better. Closer to everything and some fresh air is a shorter walk.

You need a better neighborhood. ;)

1430505662320.jpg.67ef2b6683276eb167fa0885177d8f31.jpg

I swore never to do an inside ever again but want to sail on one of the new ships so badly, that I figured one of the virtual insides might appease me. It's really the lack of sunlight that kills me. It makes me sleep way too much. I think you need to be honest about what it is about an inside that you don't like and be honest with yourself about whether or not you'll be happy in one.

EbayCruiser, there is current availability for an E1 gty (balcony) on the 10/3 sailing. Things change minute to minute, particularly around final payment time, so keep checking for your desired category. And just my two cents, but for this ship and itinerary (I'm booked for Sept.), I'd be okay with an interior stateroom. :)

an inside room would not be my first choice, but if it meant that I could go and there were ports of call that I really want to see I would go with inside. Just know going into the vacation to pack light and have a great cruise!

We have only been in an inside cabin once.... would not be my first choice but if it meant being on a ship or not i would take the inside room. We where in an inside on one of our Alaskan cruises, we where only there really to sleep so didn't make much of a difference. I did have a problem with the darkness an not knowing what time it was because of no light in the morning. Next time if booking an inside room would bring some sort of clock or some people have suggested that they leave the tv on

We've done just about every level of accommodation Royal has except Promenade and Royal Suite. We've had insides, outsides, balconies, JS, GS, OS, and RFS. And though having a balcony is great (and what we get the majority of the time), I'd do another inside without hesitation if that's all that was available on a cruise I wanted or if it made a huge difference in price. (For example, we changed from balcony to inside on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise and saved $2400.) We did have a Promenade booked once (and I'd still like to try a PR just to see what it's like) but there was a huge price drop on E1s on that cruise so we ended up spending a total of $60 more than the PR to get an E1 on that 7 nighter. Unless we win the lottery, or somebody decides to give us a really nice gift, we'll probably never try the RS!

My observation is that when we've had an inside cabin, we don't spend much time there. We shower, dress, change clothes, and sleep. We are out exploring the ship a lot more, we use the solarium more, and, although we still have room service bring coffee each morning as our wake-up call, we don't have room service breakfast or any meals there. On the PC cruise we found numerous places forward and aft on open decks where we could see both sides, and I think we still would have done that even if we'd spent the additional $2k for the balcony.

We each bring a travel alarm clock for our nightstand - if I wake up and want to know the time, I just push the button and it lights up. If I have to get up and go to the bathroom and the room is pitch dark, I use that tiny reading light setting on the bedside light and it works great to show the way. We've also brought a little night light with us before. And we either set the alarm clock or use room service as our wake up call. (We put out the hang tag each night, and you can specify the time you want your delivery. They call first, so you have a few minutes warning.) Instead of having a glass of the wine we brought on the balcony, we pour the wine and take it with us to a place on the ship where we can sit and enjoy the view with our wine, often a better view than we would have had on our balcony. As John&LaLa mentioned, you can also take a wonderful nap in an inside if you need one. An inside is different, but different is not necessarily BAD.

So…try the inside. You may find (as we have) that it's just fine. You'll really get to know the ship more, and you'll save some $$ that could be used for other enhancements for your vacation. (On that PC cruise we flew first class…did more specialty dining…more excursions…shopped, etc. and still had money left out of that $2400 savings.)

And we still want to try a Promenade on Voyager or Freedom class one of these days, and we definitely want to try one of the new insides with virtual balcony!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

EbayCruiser, there is current availability for an E1 gty (balcony) on the 10/3 sailing. Things change minute to minute, particularly around final payment time, so keep checking for your desired category. And just my two cents, but for this ship and itinerary (I'm booked for Sept.), I'd be okay with an interior stateroom. :)

Thanks! I put a courtesy hold on the E1. It is $1,000 more, not sure if it would be worth it.

Are the Pacific Coastal cruises usually more expensive. We were on the Allure in a JS for the same price as the E1 on Jewel. I'm also worried about the reviews on Jewel, is she tired and worn out and ready for dry dock.

Inside Cat N on deck 4 works well for me. I like the location and don't find an inside cabin to be a problem at all - especially on Med cruises when we are in port all day.

I have never stayed in a suite or promenade - but inside, oceanview and balconies all work depending on the budget. :D

As mentioned, check often because the cabin you want may open up!

Edited by LEtue

Thanks! I put a courtesy hold on the E1. It is $1,000 more, not sure if it would be worth it.

Are the Pacific Coastal cruises usually more expensive. We were on the Allure in a JS for the same price as the E1 on Jewel. I'm also worried about the reviews on Jewel, is she tired and worn out and ready for dry dock.

Yes, they are more expensive because they are a novelty on Royal.

Yes, they are more expensive because they are a novelty on Royal.

Would you pay an extra $1,000 for a E1 guarantee from a N inside? Is a balcony a must for the Pacific Coast?

We have never had an inside.

No one can tell you how much is too much for a specific cabin category . We (until just a few cruises ago) only sailed in balcony cabins or an occasional OV cabin or JS. We sailed the Freedom New Year's Eve cruise in an inside and it was just fine. Is a balcony better, generally yes. Was it worth over $4500 for an E balcony for the week versus $2200 for the inside, not to us. We had a great time and would not have sailed for the balcony price. To us, the cruise in an inside cabin was way better than no cruise at all. We sailed one other cruise, an Enchantment 3 night, in an inside and it too was just fine.

We sail often so we did not mind the inside. I might feel differently if we sailed less often.

Enjoy

M

You need a better neighborhood. ;)

Nice view in Cocoa Beach. We are looking into some property for personal use and rental in Cocoa beach or the surrounding beaches. I would love to have that view. Would you mind telling me the property location or building name?

Thanks, M

ps - I wish there was some way to IM on CC so I don't have to list an email account.

M