Luminae - lunch

koolforkatz

I agree with all of the complaints about the inconsistencies having to do with Luminae but, for the record, breakfast in Blu is totally consistent, 7:30 - 9:00 on port days and 8:00 - 9:30 on sea days.

Hmmm - On the Infinity every single breakfast in Blu was 7:30 - 9:00 AM. It didn't matter if it was a sea day or a port day. :confused:

(On the Connie, port day hours were 7:00 - 8:30)

Edited by gimletgal

Hmmm - On the Infinity every single breakfast in Blu was 7:30 - 9:00 AM. It didn't matter if it was a sea day or a port day. :confused:

Wow.

We've been on the Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse and always had the hours I posted.

I guess NOTHING is consistent from ship to ship! :(

We go with the flow, hey some days we miss breakfast due to our wonderful evening the night before. We've definitely learnt to work out each cruise separately. We were so disappointed not to be able to use luminae as advertised so we've not rushed to book another suite and are sticking with a lovely hump cabin

We go with the flow, hey some days we miss breakfast due to our wonderful evening the night before. We've definitely learnt to work out each cruise separately. We were so disappointed not to be able to use luminae as advertised so we've not rushed to book another suite and are sticking with a lovely hump cabin

the crucial thing here is the information available when you made the booking for a suite.

If it was after the statements about 'Suite Class' in particular those from the Head of Celebrity UK , then I opine there has been a very clear breach of contract.

I agree that this isn't what we thought Celebrity was offering, but I haven't seen anyone quote language promising all those meals [or even three of them] EVERY DAY. In the course of a cruise you will indeed have the opportunity to have breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner in Luminae -- which is what the above language promises. So there is room for moral outrage, but not the lawsuit that has been threatened.

We were on the transpacific on the Millenium April 26, sailing in a suite. Upon arrival in our suite, we found a single piece of paper that outlined the perks of suire class. On that piece of paper it stated that there would be breaksfast, lunch and dinner served every day. In addition, it stated that the menu would be expanded with the addition of food items from our port stops to the menu and tableside presentation none of these things happened.

I asked in Luminae about the flyer and was told that it did not make any difference, things had changed.

Interesting tho, we did not find many food items that were elevated or better than dining in the MDR or Blu. In fact, several time we sent back food to the kitchen for a choice from the MDR.

If you want a nicer room book the suite, if you want better food, book the specialty dining.

Chris

Thought I would save you a little time [emoji41]

posted on 6th May [emoji32]

Although there are earlier statements by Celebrity UK if you care to look [emoji41]

We were on the April 11th TA, Reflection, and we're told that it is their full intention to be serving three meals daily in due time. At that time they were phasing in all aspects of this new venue, and that it would take a few cruises to have everything fully implemented. We were very happy with our meals and the superb service.

We are excited about launching Luminae for our Suite Class guests. Luminae is now 100% operational across the Celebrity fleet. Beginning with each ship's next sailing, we will welcome our Suite Class guests for three meals a day.

I find it totally ridiculous that they will only serve three meals a day in a restaurant that is supposed to cater for hundreds of guests on the ship. You would want to get there early as it is first come first served.;)

Edited by MicCanberra

I am currently on Infinity and have had no issue, every day between 12-1 there has been a food offering in Luminae. On the days it was Brunch, we had our butler bring a fruit plate and coffee from Al Bacio earlier in the morning. It has all worked very well and although I was slightly concerned before we went on board but it was a pointless worry.

As a suite (Celebrity suite) guest, what in room benefits should I ask for? I know they deliver afternoon "snacks" and always have ordered breakfast and coffee in the morning, but what else have you requested and received? I would like not to have the generic afternoon snacks, but be able to customize it to our tastes.

What are your experiences in asking for a little customization?

As a suite (Celebrity suite) guest, what in room benefits should I ask for? I know they deliver afternoon "snacks" and always have ordered breakfast and coffee in the morning, but what else have you requested and received? I would like not to have the generic afternoon snacks, but be able to customize it to our tastes.

What are your experiences in asking for a little customization?

Instead of the Canapés, I ask for cheese and crackers.:D

Recently on Silhouette and found Luminae open for 3 meals on port days brunch and dinner on sea days. Never offered left side of MDR menu but any requests were willingly fulfilled. We thought the first brunch was neither breakfast nor lunch and certainly didn't return for the second brunch but overall were delighted with the staff, service and menus of the breakfasts and dinners.

Not the English way but if you ask they are happy to do their best. We will know how to deal with this much better next year on our Alaska cruise.

Relaxed atmosphere, excellent food and a great experience.

The brunch menu is not very clear. We found that, if you ask, a full cooked breakfast and some other breakfast items are available. They also do what they can to supply items not on either the brunch or breakfast menus such as granola and flavoured yogurt.

We were on the transpacific on the Millenium April 26, sailing in a suite. Upon arrival in our suite, we found a single piece of paper that outlined the perks of suire class. On that piece of paper it stated that there would be breaksfast, lunch and dinner served every day..

Chris

Chris

You have better eyes than me! The print was so faint on our copy, I could not read it. I was interested to see what it said because, as far as I can recall, Celebrity had never offered breakfast, lunch and dinner but, rather, breakfast, brunch and dinner.

Edited by Project_gal

One should not get too "comfortable" with the absoluteness of the language in the contract of passage. For one thing, many, if not most, don't even get it until they get their cruise documents. Addtionally, contracts that are completely one sided tend to be dismissed by the courts when a company goes too far....and then there are those pesky local laws that have the nerve to require that a company delivers what it says it will deliver.

As I've said in many other posts....if you believe the contract is absolute, then be prepared to board your ship on your next cruise and sit there, unmoving, until you disembark at the end of the cruise...yup, that's ok according to the contract. Many other equally absurd actions are also OK according the contract....eg. they only serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for every meal on the cruise.

I guess the only solution is to file a lawsuit over lunch....or the lack of it. Then again, one might find that the folks that run the ship know what they're doing and are not trying to antagonize the customer.

Try it and then decide how you feel about it. That's usually the best idea.

Edited by Ma Bell

One should not get too "comfortable" with the absoluteness of the language in the contract of passage. For one thing, many, if not most, don't even get it until they get their cruise documents. Addtionally, contracts that are completely one sided tend to be dismissed by the courts when a company goes too far....and then there are those pesky local laws that have the nerve to require that a company delivers what it says it will deliver.

As I've said in many other posts....if you believe the contract is absolute, then be prepared to board your ship on your next cruise and sit there, unmoving, until you disembark at the end of the cruise...yup, that's ok according to the contract. Many other equally absurd actions are also OK according the contract....eg. they only serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for every meal on the cruise.

Speaking about US cruising since other regions may vary. It really doesn't matter when you get the contract since the US cruise lines make the contract available for your review on their websites prior to your actual booking.

In the US, the cruise lines are subject to federal/international law which preempts 'pesky local laws'. As for a dismissal of the contract by the courts. First, in the US, you have agreed to resolving all (other than death or injury) issues through arbitration. You have also agreed not to file a class-action based law suit. No court would hear a lawsuit until the arbitration process was completed.

Suppose Celebrity does not serve a lunch on one day in Luminae. Exactly how much of an 'injury' have you suffered? How much do you expect to receive as an award if the arbitration process is favorable to you? How much would your participation in the arbitration process cost you? Now, how much is the lawsuit going to cost?

Technically, a cruise line could remain at the dock without moving. One time. No one would ever sail that cruise line again. So much for that bit of hyperbole.

Speaking about US cruising since other regions may vary. It really doesn't matter when you get the contract since the US cruise lines make the contract available for your review on their websites prior to your actual booking.

In the US, the cruise lines are subject to federal/international law which preempts 'pesky local laws'. As for a dismissal of the contract by the courts. First, in the US, you have agreed to resolving all (other than death or injury) issues through arbitration. You have also agreed not to file a class-action based law suit. No court would hear a lawsuit until the arbitration process was completed.

Suppose Celebrity does not serve a lunch on one day in Luminae. Exactly how much of an 'injury' have you suffered? How much do you expect to receive as an award if the arbitration process is favorable to you? How much would your participation in the arbitration process cost you? Now, how much is the lawsuit going to cost?

Technically, a cruise line could remain at the dock without moving. One time. No one would ever sail that cruise line again. So much for that bit of hyperbole.

Common sense, how refreshing.

As I've said in other posts....if you believe the contract is absolute, then be prepared to board your ship on your next cruise and sit there, unmoving, until you disembark at the end of the cruise...yup, that's ok according to the contract. Many other equally absurd actions are also OK according the contract....eg. they only serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for every meal on the cruise.

Absolutely correct.

I believe the issue here is people ( probably from a different jurisdiction) who have no idea of the protection afforded to customers in the UK and Europe.

One of the main reasons why UK passengers pay significantly more than their North American counterparts is the risks Celebrity and others have identified with Consumer Protection here v North America.

Whilst I do not mind sharing some knowledge with my fellow Europeans I find the interference from (presumably) across the pond a tad tedious . After all we wouldn't question the laws in , say, the USA. We might find it odd that a 20 year old. can legally buy a firearm but not a bottle of Bud but that is the system.

I think our American friends would be even more surprised if they knew the European regulations surrounding flight delays and how much the airlines have been forced to pay out in compensation despite the airline contracts small print.

The cruise industry is not immune from the protection laws as other travel providers have already discovered .

Common sense, how refreshing.

In the US possibly / probably correct. cannot really comment as legislation in that jurisdiction is not within my experience.

Over here things are not that straightforward. If a UK customer can demonstrate they booked a suite based upon the Celebrity promotional statements and it turns out that the statements were demonstrably incorrect then they would have a very strong case.

The point about lunch not being served is valid , but if a customer can show that this is common practice and the 'Suite class' is not as described then the cruise line is in a troubled position. Also agree that the costs of taking action MIGHT be restrictive. However if a passenger can mount their own case then its a whole different scenario. A cruise line may take a different standpoint to a complaint from a passenger with the letters ' QC ' after his/her name than one without - as an example.

There are many other avenues for complaints to be pursued. The Daily Telegraph is excellent at 'persuading' travel companies to reverse decisions regarding customer complaints.

Absolutely correct.

I believe the issue here is people ( probably from a different jurisdiction) who have no idea of the protection afforded to customers in the UK and Europe.

One of the main reasons why UK passengers pay significantly more than their North American counterparts is the risks Celebrity and others have identified with Consumer Protection here v North America.

Whilst I do not mind sharing some knowledge with my fellow Europeans I find the interference from (presumably) across the pond a tad tedious . After all we wouldn't question the laws in , say, the USA. We might find it odd that a 20 year old. can legally buy a firearm but not a bottle of Bud but that is the system.

I think our American friends would be even more surprised if they knew the European regulations surrounding flight delays and how much the airlines have been forced to pay out in compensation despite the airline contracts small print.

The cruise industry is not immune from the protection laws as other travel providers have already discovered .

So sorry you find the exchanges here between you and your "American friends" a tad tedious. Why continue this dialogue?

I am quite aware of, and familiar with, the consumer protection laws regarding travel and tourism for citizens of the UK. We have a saying here, "Put your money where your mouth is". Don't waste your time engaging in a smear campaign through the Media, go ahead and sue if you believe X is cheating you out of a daily meal.

So sorry you find the exchanges here between you and your "American friends" a tad tedious. Why continue this dialogue?

I am quite aware of, and familiar with, the consumer protection laws regarding travel and tourism for citizens of the UK. We have a saying here, "Put your money where your mouth is". Don't waste your time engaging in a smear campaign through the Media, go ahead and sue if you believe X is cheating you out of a daily meal.

Correct, and as I say, I still believe the obligations are being met....

I guess the only solution is to file a lawsuit over lunch....or the lack of it. Then again, one might find that the folks that run the ship know what they're doing and are not trying to antagonize the customer.

Try it and then decide how you feel about it. That's usually the best idea.

I am not familiar with 'file a lawsuit', but I believe it to mean instigate legal proceedings ?

In the UK there is a recognised complaints procedure to be followed. Instigating legal proceedings would be after all other avenues have failed. Knowing one's legal rights usually helps on expediting the complaints without resorting to the Courts.

There is no mileage in trying to advise cruisers upon complaints procedures if they are from a country with radically different consumer protection system. I wouldn't presume to suggest to someone in , say, North America that they should read their contract 'carefully'.

Clearly your knowledge of our system is somewhat flawed . " Go ahead and sue" sums it up succinctly. This would be an action of last resort in the UK .

we are not talking about missing one meal . The discussion was about whether the statements made by Celebrity regarding the 'Suite Class ' offerings are in fact being delivered or not. The discussions then widened as to whether or not passengers could do anything about it. You think we cannot do anything , I know I can .

I will be boarding next week optimistic that the overall cruise will be excellent as usual. I am fully expecting that the offering in 'Suite Class' will be as described. should it not be then I am confident that CelX and myself will be able to resolve things amicably.

Edited by gcgold

Perhaps the (much) bigger risk is if the news media or shows like 60 minutes or its equivalent start to focus on any of the unilateral decisions made by cruise companies...not necessarily limited to celebrity perhaps. No contract involved....just accurate reporting. That's also the consumer advocate getting involved issue. Lawyers never think of that potential problem...and consumers do turn to those folks if they feel something is questionable.

There are different situations, of course, but the risk is that someone, someone's brother or child is a producer for a "consumer advocate" show...or a newspaper with an investigative reporter....and they feel slighted, cheated, etc.

I'm not trying to prolong this discussion, but those who cling to "celebrity can do anything they want at any time" with impunity should think about the larger picture....the social media, media in general which are far more damaging (and helpful) with no legal or arbitration costs.

The net is that companies should try to do the right thing because reputation and public opinion are not regulatable the way contracts are

Edited by ghstudio

We just returned from our cruise on the Equinox, and contrary to what Celebrity posted here, there still was no lunch served in Luminae on embarkation day or sea days. They did offer lunch on port days from 12:00 to 1:00 pm, but most folks were off the ship at that time. We were disappointed that Celebrity did not provide what they promised - three meals a day, including lunch on embarkation day. On sea days, there was only brunch from 10:30 am to 1:00 pm, and dinner.

I have not posted on the subject for a long time, as I actually had received a phone call from Celebrity that it would be B,L,D. How pathetic of them, to pull this. I am glad I cancelled, and have nothing with Celebrity booked now or most likely on the future.

I am not familiar with 'file a lawsuit', but I believe it to mean instigate legal proceedings ?

In the UK there is a recognised complaints procedure to be followed. Instigating legal proceedings would be after all other avenues have failed. Knowing one's legal rights usually helps on expediting the complaints without resorting to the Courts.

There is no mileage in trying to advise cruisers upon complaints procedures if they are from a country with radically different consumer protection system. I wouldn't presume to suggest to someone in , say, North America that they should read their contract 'carefully'.

In the UK, there is a recognized complaints procedure. Similarly, here in the US, it would be difficult to get a court to take up a law suite until the arbitration process required by the cruise contract is complete. Complaint procedures in the UK and US arbitration procedures are probably different but in neither case can one just 'file a lawsuit'.

I would not consider it to be presumptions to tell someone to read their contract. Every one should read and understand the contract prior to placing a deposit. Telling someone to read the contract prior to filing a law suit is good advice regardless of the country of origin. Very difficult to go to court unless one is sure of what they have agreed to and to what they are entitled.

Edited by RocketMan275