Park West gave free cruises to buyers of art on prior cruise

tbmrt

Just heard that Park West gave people who purchased quite a bit of art free cruises to Bermuda in June.

I never heard of this before, but then again, I guess I don't run in the "art circles"!

Just heard that Park West gave people who purchased quite a bit of art free cruises to Bermuda in June.

I never heard of this before, but then again, I guess I don't run in the "art circles"!

I wonder how "free" their cruise really was. I think they probably paid for their "free cruise" with the price they paid for "quite a bit of art" :)

Let's face it - art prices on the ship are even more exorbitant than drink prices....LOL

We were sitting at the Molecular Bar when they had the final big auction on the Solstice. I just about fell off my seat when I realized how many thousands of dollars some of the art was going for. I was flabbergasted. :eek:

I live in Mi about 40 miles from Park West. We visited their gallery and nothing was sold there but you could browse thru it. It is all based on auctions and smoke and mirrors. There have been law suits against them and they held a low profile for a while and are now back doing what they do. People have a short memory and time heals all corruption.

Try finding a market for what you bought or selling it back to them. To be fair it is the same for any jewelry or collectible. There is no resale market and it has to be bought for what you consider it is worth to you. I always use the advice from George C Scott in the movie "Flim Flam Man". You cannot cheat a honest person. The only reason you can cheat someone is because they think that they are cheating you. That is why those auctions, jewelry and other stores exist on at the tourists ports and have such a great business, people are greedy and think that they are getting a great deal.

happy cruising 🌊🇺🇸🚢🌞

Yeah, my daughter's BFF worked for Park West on Holland America for several years after receiving her master's in fine arts.

I won't be buying from them either.

If I want to buy fine art I'll buy from a gallery and not while on a cruise ship.

I sure wish they'd stop the nonsense and turn all that prime space into something else.

Free cruise? Uh, not hardly. They likely overpaid by many times the price of the cruise. If they're happy with the prices they paid, great. But that cruise isn't free.

On our last cruise, the head of the Park West operation was introduced as a ship's officer...(I almost choked).

If you are considering buying "art" from Park West, do your due diligence....start by just googling "park west gallery" and add the word reputation or review, etc....and check out the artists they talk up BEFORE YOU BUY. Believe me, even at 75 cents a minute, using the ship's internet to research before you buy will be well worth the cost.

I sure wish they'd stop the nonsense and turn all that prime space into something else.

I agree. We went up to the Sky Lounge one afternoon at sea to relax and read and pretty much the entire lounge was blocked off with their art. :(

On our last cruise, the head of the Park West operation was introduced as a ship's officer...(I almost choked).

If you are considering buying "art" from Park West, do your due diligence....start by just googling "park west gallery" and add the word reputation or review, etc....and check out the artists they talk up BEFORE YOU BUY. Believe me, even at 75 cents a minute, using the ship's internet to research before you buy will be well worth the cost.

That is fine..most cruise ships officers are nothing that special...still not sure why people get excited over them??

We have never bought at a Park West auction and never will. We did have one occasion to see a print, a Tarkay I think, that we liked and it had a price on it in the gallery after the auction. When we tried to really buy at that price they wanted to add a 10% buyers premium and a huge amount for shipping a rolled print. We walked away. At another of their auctions I noticed some sports photos that they had mounted and framed going for well over $500....the images were mine, made for one of my clients who is licensed to sell photos to fans. The three 8x10 photos on this piece could be purchased from my client's web site for under $20 total, including tax and shipping.... Buyers beware.

Edited by Mr. Click
clarifying prints vs photographs

Bought from Park West one time several years ago (2 Peter Max)...what a scam. Not originals as advertised, frames were damaged twice in shipping, etc... We raised a big stink and finally got out money back. Never again..won't even go to an auction if Park West is the vendor!

That is fine..most cruise ships officers are nothing that special...still not sure why people get excited over them??

I think the poster was referring to the fact that Park West employees are not RCI or affiliates employees.

The box of kindergarten art my wife saved over the years has more value to me than any of the paint by number reproductions they sell on a cruise ship.

Added to say: I don't get the connection of buying art on a cruise. Back in the day you could get some good deals on jewelry, watches, or electronics but now with the internet you can find the same deal at home. Even buying alcohol is a bust if you have to fly home. Any savings is eaten up with airline checked luggage fees.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Bought from Park West one time several years ago (2 Peter Max)...what a scam. Not originals as advertised, frames were damaged twice in shipping, etc... We raised a big stink and finally got out money back. Never again..won't even go to an auction if Park West is the vendor!

There was a Peter Max Gallery in Vegas in the Forums Shops by Caesar's Palace. They did sell originals and we asked them about the stuff on board the ships and they didn't have any comment except that they would be leery about buying them.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

This is probably the most distasteful part of cruising. Clearly the cruise lines are aware of the scam/fraud and the many lawsuits, and yet they are making so much money off of the scam that they turn a blind eye to the fact that Park West is stealing from their passengers. I just can't understand why a cruise line is willing to put their reputation at risk....the money must be huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm going against the trend here but don't have a go as it is my opinion. I personally love looking at the art and sitting in the auctions watching everything happen (no I don't do it for the bubbly as I have the drinks package!). I have also purchased 2 pieces of art which I had researched the price before hand including taking the shipping and buyers cost etc into account and was happy to pay for it. I'm on holiday so why can't I treat myself to something like this, I work hard for my money and yes I know that it is a bit of a hassle when there is an issue with the picture if there is something wrong but it got fixed. I'm happy with the art as I bought it for me and don't plan on trying to sell it and I get loads of comments from friends when they see it. As I said this is my opinion so please don't get offended or anything. Each to their own!

Totally agree with the scamming part, it's not right. I am a bit younger than the normal audience they target as I'm in my twenties which is probably why I check all the prices etc before hand anyway but might also be as I'm Scottish! (Justifying the stereotype for being tight with money!)