is it safe to brush our teeth with bathroom water in cabin?

earl06

Last celebrity cruise I was sick from the free lemonade- is the bathroom water safe to brush teeth? I wonder about this?

The water on board is safer than that which comes out of your faucet at home. It's been purified by reverse osmosis. People pay a lot of money to put a reverse osmosis system in their homes.

How is it you know the lemonade made you sick? If it indeed did, it would be from the chemicals in the lemonade mix, not from the water. Unless someone contaminated the lemonade dispenser by touching the dispenser bar or by refilling a glass.

The water on board is safer than that which comes out of your faucet at home. It's been purified by reverse osmosis. People pay a lot of money to put a reverse osmosis system in their homes.

How is it you know the lemonade made you sick? If it indeed did, it would be from the chemicals in the lemonade mix, not from the water. Unless someone contaminated the lemonade dispenser by touching the dispenser bar or by refilling a glass.

It is unlikely that you got sick from the "free lemonade", or there would have been half a ship full of sick passengers.

I wish that was true, however it was from the lemonade- as soon as I stopped drinking it I felt better, then went back to drink it felt sick... I was sick when I got home for a long time ...:(

I wish that was true, however it was from the lemonade- as soon as I stopped drinking it I felt better, then went back to drink it felt sick... I was sick when I got home for a long time ...:(

If you were sick for a long time when you got home, how did you feel better when you stopped drinking it while you were on board?

Nothing about that makes any sense.

Perhaps you were sick already, and the lemonade (having lemon and sugar - mostly sugar) upset your already sick stomach.

As I said, if it was indeed the "free lemonade" that MADE you sick, there would have been half a ship full of sick passengers.

equinox 2011 something was in that water on the ship that made me ill and hubby as well..

I just hope the constellation has better main room dining food and water will not make us sick again..

they take water from the ocean and process it... who knows how filtered it really is.... was the machine that filters the water not working on the equinox.. something was odd forsure

who knows...

equinox 2011 something was in that water on the ship that made me ill and hubby as well..

I just hope the constellation has better main room dining food and water will not make us sick again..

they take water from the ocean and process it... who knows how filtered it really is.... was the machine that filters the water not working on the equinox.. something was odd forsure

who knows...

The fact is that if you got sick, and hubby got sick, and NONE OF THE OTHER THOUSANDS OF PASSENGERS got sick - it was NOT the water.

Every cruise ship processes their water the same way.

If the water from the "free lemonade" made you sick, and that's the water they use FOR EVERYTHING, from cooking to coffee, then EVERY PASSENGER on board would have been sick.

The water on the ship is SAFE TO DRINK.

PERIOD.

If you were sick for a long time when you got home, how did you feel better when you stopped drinking it while you were on board?

Nothing about that makes any sense.

Perhaps you were sick already, and the lemonade (having lemon and sugar - mostly sugar) upset your already sick stomach.

As I said, if it was indeed the "free lemonade" that MADE you sick, there would have been half a ship full of sick passengers.

How do you calculate it at half?

who knows...

I agree with others...if the lemonade made you sick, it was from the mix, not the water. If the water made you sick, it would have made many, many others sick as well.

If the water on the Equinox made you sick, then you shouldn't cruise, because the reverse osmosis system works basically the same on every ship. If anything, the system on the Constellation is older than the system on the Equinox, and therefore would be more prone to problems.

Half the people would be sick.

I figured at some point, at least half of the people on board might have some lemonade or ice tea, or even tap water - or some kind of cold drink made with water.

It was a guess - plain and simple.

Now that I think about it - it would be the ENTIRE ship, since the water is used to make ice as well as drinks.

Oh, and isn't the newest incarnation of the "fresh squeezed orange juice" reconstituted from concentrate? That would account for even more people getting sick if there was something wrong with the water.....LOL

(KIDDING - The orange juice comment was a joke...LOL)

To stay away from drinking water on the ship, you would need to limit yourself to pre-packaged/bottled beverages such as canned soda, bottle of beer, bottled water, carton of milk. One couldn't even drink coffee or tea since it is made with ship's water, or even a mixed alcoholic drink that contains water. Very restrictive.

I think it was the lemonade mix as well.

I always drink the ship's water and have never gotten ill from it.

As was I (kidding):D

It really just got me thinking that if the water on ANY ship was bad and made passengers sick, it would be catastrophic.

It would make everyone sick - passengers AND crew.

It might even be worse than the worst case of Norovirus.

listen now you don't have to be rude to me! with your condescending tone! that is not allowed here, you can get banned from here- chill my friend!

The fact is that if you got sick, and hubby got sick, and NONE OF THE OTHER THOUSANDS OF PASSENGERS got sick - it was NOT the water.

Every cruise ship processes their water the same way.

If the water from the "free lemonade" made you sick, and that's the water they use FOR EVERYTHING, from cooking to coffee, then EVERY PASSENGER on board would have been sick.

The water on the ship is SAFE TO DRINK.

PERIOD.

Reverse osmosis removes the salt and other minerals from the water. Bottled water that is made the same way "puts back" some salt and minerals, to make the water "taste" good...the amount of salt is negligible....less than you absorb swimming in the ocean!

and how do we know whom and how many were sick on that ship..... sickness on ships is kept very hush hush!!

It really just got me thinking that if the water on ANY ship was bad and made passengers sick, it would be catastrophic.

It would make everyone sick - passengers AND crew.

It might even be worse than the worst case of Norovirus.

listen now you don't have to be rude to me! with your condescending tone! that is not allowed here, you can get banned from here- chill my friend!

I am just stating facts, and emphasizing the important words. I am not being rude, and I am not being condescending. Sorry that you took it that way.

I am simply telling you that it is not possible that you got sick from the ship's water, when no one else did.

If you and your hubby were BOTH sick, then it was something that you and he both had - perhaps a stomach virus.

You can get banned here as well - anyone can. LOL

and how do we know whom and how many were sick on that ship..... sickness on ships is kept very hush hush!!

Actually, that isn't true.

You would KNOW that others were sick, because the dining rooms and bars would very likely be very EMPTY.

If there were lots of people sick, and they didn't know the cause, they would probably take precautions and figure it's norovirus.

You would definitely KNOW if that happened!

If you were sick from the lemonade, why would you want to know about brushing your teeth? Two separate things, no?

I don't think they make the lemonade using bathroom water.

I personally have a hard time with the lemonade. I find it a bit too acidic and it upsets my stomach. I love how it tastes but I usually have to water it down a bit (with....ship water). My husband can drink gallons of it though, and it doesn't bother him at all.

And we always use the bathroom water when we brush our teeth. We've never been sick from it.

They may have a point re the water....

Last year on the Eclipse I felt decidedly unwell the following morning after drinking the water the night before. I'd had water with each of my 5 red wines and water with each of the 6 large Scotches I had - so by a process of elimination it has to be the water.

I'd be very surprised that anything loaded with sugar (Lemonade syrup) would get a bacteria in it that would make you ill as sugar is a preservative

Edited by DYKWIA