Celebrity: Select No Insurance, Discount Removed!

GlacierGuy

Having cruised for 11 years on Royal Caribbean and NCL, we decided to expand our cruise experiences and try Celebrity.

I created a reservation on the Celebrity web site for the Celebrity Equinox May 21, 2015 sailing out of Rome to Barcelona and placed the reservation on 24 hour hold.

The base price was quoted as $1,049 per person after a $400 per person "resident discount."

With taxes and mandatory tips, the total was $2,655.44.

When I clicked to pay, the web page said I needed to reply to the required insurance question, "Yes" or "No". I selected "No".

The web page updated and the fare was recalculated and the $800 "resident discount" was removed!

The fare, with no insurance, was now $3,455.44!!!!

I called the Celebrity 800 phone number and talked to a Customer Service Rep and related my story.

He told me this was a temporary problem with the web site and would be fixed in a few hours.

I told him this appears to be an issue of "bait and switch" and possible false advertising.

I just now checked again on the Celebrity web site and the same situation exists.

Has anybody else encountered booking problems with the Celebrity web site?

GlacierGuy

Welcome to the wonderful Celebrity website. In truth just about everyone has had problems with the site at one time or another, it's the worst in the cruise industry. I doubt very much they are trying to con you in any way with some form of bait and switch, they are just incompetent when it comes to online media.

it probably would have been wise to book at the time you had them on the phone, then checked the web site for pricing.

Not sure, but you would have spent just about the same amount of time registering, maybe a few minutes more?

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Did you ever notice how these kind of "web site glitches" always seem to favor the cruise line? Personally, we prefer to use one of our "favored" online TA web sites which link directly to the cruise lines and offer additional amenities (such as on board credits) that we will not get on the Celebrity web site. Even if we do book direct with Celebrity (did this once onboard) we immediately transfer the booking to one of our favorite TAs who "enhances" the deal.

Hank

Did you ever notice how these kind of "web site glitches" always seem to favor the cruise line? Personally, we prefer to use one of our "favored" online TA web sites which link directly to the cruise lines and offer additional amenities (such as on board credits) that we will not get on the Celebrity web site. Even if we do book direct with Celebrity (did this once onboard) we immediately transfer the booking to one of our favorite TAs who "enhances" the deal.

Hank

I agree completely. Great service and additional perks (such as REFUNDABLE onboard credit) are just two of the reasons we use a travel agent. If we ever have a problem, she handles it. Why would anyone book direct?

I agree completely. Great service and additional perks (such as REFUNDABLE onboard credit) are just two of the reasons we use a travel agent. If we ever have a problem, she handles it. Why would anyone book direct?

That is always been a question of mine. With the money we have saved (either through group pricing or OBC's from a TA) we've taken a number of cruises that have virtually been free because of all the past savings.

Get a good TA and never book direct with any cruise line.

My thoughts exactly. Seems a more efficient process is having a TA with added benefits you do not get with Celebrity. I really doubt this was bait and switch, especially if you can get the original prices and benefits over the phone. Until Celebrity repairs the glitches in it's website it is not the best way to have a stress free experience booking a cruise.

Good Luck & Happy Cruising!

Ken

I'm amazed that anyone would book using that website. I use it for dummy bookings and to find out information. Then turn it all over to my TA.

I'm just curious with all the better options why anyone would book using the site? I'm pretty sure you always leave money on the table using it, and I'm not just talking about OBC from a TA. You have to watch each little box you check or don't check. Want the promo?, make sure you use the promo code, otherwise it's not going to be offered.

Having cruised for 11 years on Royal Caribbean and NCL, we decided to expand our cruise experiences and try Celebrity.

I created a reservation on the Celebrity web site for the Celebrity Equinox May 21, 2015 sailing out of Rome to Barcelona and placed the reservation on 24 hour hold.

The base price was quoted as $1,049 per person after a $400 per person "resident discount."

With taxes and mandatory tips, the total was $2,655.44.

When I clicked to pay, the web page said I needed to reply to the required insurance question, "Yes" or "No". I selected "No".

The web page updated and the fare was recalculated and the $800 "resident discount" was removed!

The fare, with no insurance, was now $3,455.44!!!!

I called the Celebrity 800 phone number and talked to a Customer Service Rep and related my story.

He told me this was a temporary problem with the web site and would be fixed in a few hours.

I told him this appears to be an issue of "bait and switch" and possible false advertising.

I just now checked again on the Celebrity web site and the same situation exists.

Has anybody else encountered booking problems with the Celebrity web site?

GlacierGuy

I don't book on the Celebrity website. Life is too short. I book onboard or with my travel agent. I have never purchased Celebrity's insurance.

Linda

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Hope this all works out as it should.....I don't recommend buying celebrity insurance because I think their coverage is not high enough if you have a severe medical problem.

PART B. MEDICAL PROTECTION

Emergency Evacuation……………$25,000

Repatriation…………………………….$25,000

Accident Medical Expense………$10,000

Sickness Medical Expense………$10,000

Read the travel insurance section of cruise critic.

One visit to an emergency room in Alaska. And it costs upwards of $40,00 to be medivac'ed from a ship in Glacier Bay or Ketchican. And you have to file with your own insurance first, so if you have Medicare and get sick in St Martin, Bermuda, you are in for a six to eight month wait to be reimbursed. Try finding the Dr who treated you to get him to sign the forms. And you get to pay your own airfare home. The emergency contact person will even book it for you with YOUR credit card.

Don't take the cruise line insurance. The only thing it is good for is if you are hospitalized in advance of a cruise for something that never ailed you before and your Doctor unequivocally tells you that you can't travel for a very definite period of time that includes your cruise dates.

One visit to an emergency room in Alaska. And it costs upwards of $40,00 to be medivac'ed from a ship in Glacier Bay or Ketchican. And you have to file with your own insurance first, so if you have Medicare and get sick in St Martin, Bermuda, you are in for a six to eight month wait to be reimbursed. Try finding the Dr who treated you to get him to sign the forms. And you get to pay your own airfare home. The emergency contact person will even book it for you with YOUR credit card.

Don't take the cruise line insurance. The only thing it is good for is if you are hospitalized in advance of a cruise for something that never ailed you before and your Doctor unequivocally tells you that you can't travel for a very definite period of time that includes your cruise dates.

I work for a major travel insurance company. Most insurance is "pay and file", so the insured is responsible for paying the additional costs in any case, including return air for a trip interruption. In the case of hospitalization or evacuation, the insured must file the claim, but we can pay the hospital or evac service directly.

Insurance can be either primary or secondary-- for some states it's automatically primary, others it's primary only if the appropriate plan is purchased and it's purchased within a particular time frame, usually within 15 days of the initial trip deposit. There is also one policy that can be made primary at any time as an optional benefit and for an addtional cost. I'm told that if Medicare is the only insurance, all that's required is to send in a copy of the Medicare card-- no claim needs to be filed.

Our average turnaround for a claim is five weeks. Our minimum for Medevac is $100,000.

Things I Learned...

- Book through a Travel Agent, Get On Board Credit.

- Never book through the Celebrity web site. Too many bugs

The Rest of The Story...

- The "web site problem" did not correct itself in the "few hours" as stated by the Celebrity Customer Service Rep.

- I called the Celebrity 800 number and used the automated attendant.

- The automated system did not ask me for a Yes/No on the insurance.

- I go the $800 discount.

We are ready to roll to Rome (Civitaveechia).

Things I Learned...

- Book through a Travel Agent, Get On Board Credit.

- Never book through the Celebrity web site. Too many bugs

The Rest of The Story...

- The "web site problem" did not correct itself in the "few hours" as stated by the Celebrity Customer Service Rep.

- I called the Celebrity 800 number and used the automated attendant.

- The automated system did not ask me for a Yes/No on the insurance.

- I go the $800 discount.

We are ready to roll to Rome (Civitaveechia).

Welcome to X...Please don't judge the line based on the website!!:rolleyes:

BTW the rep didn't say which "few hours" they meant...I think sometime in 2018 they will get website figured out!