Cruise Director Announcements - helpful or annoying?

Tyler919

I was enjoying a beautiful morning until you mentioned Carlos ! First class phony. It's been four years since we sailed with Carlos but sadly that memory is baked into our brains.

I agree. I never pay attention to CDs. However, Carlos was one of the most annoying individuals I ever met. And I didn't even try to meet him!

Terri

Since this thread was bumped to the top, I may as well "vote". ;)

Annoying. Totally annoying.

I enjoy listening to the Captain's Voice from the Bridge, but cannot stand the following (and earlier) "sales pitch" from the CD. I am quite capable of reading the daily program, and know where to find it if I want to double check something.

If I had had to hear Carlos SING! :eek: "Wash your hands! Wash your hands! Wash your hands!" one more time I may have violated the "nothing overboard" rule.

Didn't matter which one of us went over, either. :rolleyes:

I enjoy listening to the Captain's Voice from the Bridge, but cannot stand the following (and earlier) "sales pitch" from the CD. I am quite capable of reading the daily program, and know where to find it if I want to double check something.

If I had had to hear Carlos SING! :eek: "Wash your hands! Wash your hands! Wash your hands!" one more time I may have violated the "nothing overboard" rule.

I've been waiting and hoping for Ruth to weigh in on this.

Little did I know how good a post it would be!! Thank you, Ruth.

So, I have really missed out on Carlos, having never had the bad luck to be on a ship with him. I have to admit I am fascinated: we've endured a couple of less than stellar CD's, but this guy really takes the prize, it seems. Maybe some day...... eek!

This made me smile. That would be almost as annoying as the washy washy everytime you enter the Lido.

Wow! I must have amazing luck. I've never felt particularly annoyed by HAL's CDs. Maybe I got lucky and only sailed with quiet ones. (Sorry, I can't remember any names.)

As others have said, noon remarks from the captain are very welcome, but too many "activities" announcements (promos) are annoying.

If CD announcements bother you, stay away from Princess! On our one and only Princess cruise, I wanted to hunt him down and, as Ruth so cleverly put it, "violate the nothing overboard rule." But it would definitely have been the CD and not me who went for a swim!

"Don't forget, there will be bingo this afternoon!"

"Bingo in an hour!"

"Bingo in a half hour! Better get your cards!"

"Bingo in fifteen minutes, you don't want to miss this!"

If I wanted to play bingo or buy bargain t-shirts I would look for those events in the daily program! I'm an adult, I know how to read.

As others have said, noon remarks from the captain are very welcome, but too many "activities" announcements (promos) are annoying.

...................... If I wanted to play bingo or buy bargain t-shirts I would look for those events in the daily program! I'm an adult, I know how to read.

I couldn't have said it better :D thanx

A good cruise director is one who I can't remember. The ones I remember are a mixed bag. One I remember because he was so unfriendly, even yelling at security. He has recently left HAL so no need to warn you.

The two I remember somewhat fondly are "WooHoo Hamish" and the aforementioned Carlos. I started out wanting to strangle Hamish, but once I met him I realized he was a genuinely decent and friendly guy. What WAS fun was his diminished "Woo Hoo" when he was announcing from the bridge.

Re: Carlos--he's a type and a character--drove me nuts a lot of the time, but somehow we hit it off, perhaps because I DID have his number. And I loved the "horse race" with towel animals at the International Date Line idiocy. I told him he needed to be saying "Set your clock, set your clock!" during our march across the North Pacific.

One of the new ones, Jeremy, is just so full of boyish energy that you can't help liking him. We had him on Veendam.