Cruise Director Announcements - helpful or annoying?

Tyler919

So, yes, I put this on my post cruise comment survey. And this last cruise was a TA, so I'm not sure how applicable it is on a "destination heavy" cruise. But do we really need the Cruise Director coming over the loud speaker at 9:50 and 12:50 each day to READ to us the daily schedule of events? Nothing of note was ever added, just advised us what time Bingo was, where trivia would be held yet again today, what the movie was and what the speaker was speaking about.

I get up early, so it never woke me up, but plenty of folks I talked to said that was their unwelcome alarm clock each morning. It seems very mass market to me.

OK, anyone out there who prefers not to read the dailies and get there info this way?

Ryndam Crossing April 19 - May 4

Edited by Tyler919

RCI has stopped all on board announcements except emergengy, of course, and the Captain's mid day sea day update, which most people enjoy.

It's blissfully quiet.

That sounds divine. HAL is not the worst offender I have experienced, but it seems quite redundant when everyone receives the listing of events in their cabin and every bar and public space has copies as well.

We don't listen, since we have meticulously read the daily program. Not annoying, per se, just something to tune out. No doubt very helpful to those who choose not to read, or can't remember!

We do LOVE the Captains' noon time report on sea days and any other time he makes an announcement. We like this so much we listen even when we get a Captain who mumbles, stumbles or speaks too quietly. The ones who tell a few jokes, often on themselves, are a delight.

Edited by SilvertoGold

"Helpful or Annoying" is the question.

Probably helpful to those who don't read their daily program or have short memories, probably annoying to those who do - that simple.

With rare exceptions (Susan Wood for one in years gone by) I could do just as well if I never heard or saw the CD.

We don't listen, since we have meticulously read the daily program. Not annoying, per se, just something to tune out. No doubt very helpful to those who choose not to read, or can't remember!

We do LOVE the Captains' noon time report on sea days and any other time he makes an announcement. We like this so much we listen even when we get a Captain who mumbles, stumbles or speaks too quietly. The ones who tell a few jokes, often on themselves, are a delight.

Unfortunately for some reason I am not able to tune out of background noise. If I am anywhere near a speaker the only way to not hear the CD is wear a pair of earplugs, which is not an option because I wear hearing aids everywhere except the cabin and pool.

The only time I heard a CD do this was during a photography class.

So, yes, I put this on my post cruise comment survey. And this last cruise was a TA, so I'm not sure how applicable it is on a "destination heavy" cruise. But do we really need the Cruise Director coming over the loud speaker at 9:50 and 12:50 each day to READ to us the daily schedule of events? Nothing of note was ever added, just advised us what time Bingo was, where trivia would be held yet again today, what the movie was and what the speaker was speaking about.

I get up early, so it never woke me up, but plenty of folks I talked to said that was their unwelcome alarm clock each morning. It seems very mass market to me.

OK, anyone out there who prefers not to read the dailies and get there info this way?

Ryndam Crossing April 19 - May 4

These announcements can be vexing during Religious Services.

I read the "On Location" sheet before I go to bed; mentally, my next day is somewhat planned. I don't need a CD reading the information to me on the PA.

Really do enjoy the "Voice from the Bridge", even when one can predict what the Master is going to say except for the precise nautical/geographical details.

Some CD's are entertaining, spontaneous. It is interesting to watch on TV the "Good Morning ....dam" program with them. Others, when they come on the PA or TV, I tune out.

A previous poster mentioned Susan Wood as an "oldie, but goodie." May I suggest Gary Walker in that same category?

Annoying. We are literate and don't need someone to read the schedule to us. We find Carlos particularly annoying. He is more of a shill for the shops than a cruise director. In his announcements he doesn't even mention the topic of the 10 o'clock lecture, but he is effusive in his descriptions of the sales pitch 'seminars'. He is just so phoney that we avoid anything when he is involved. 'I'll see you out and about' Not if we see you first, Carlos.

They probably could close down the speaker in the room you are using if you asked them to.

I doubt it. If an emergency would suddenly occur, that would be one more thing that the officers on the Bridge would have to remember.

The only announcement I really want to here:

on sea days -- captain talking at either Noon or 1 PM and give us our location, how many miles we gone, how many miles to the next port, weather.

on port days -- captain talking as we are about to leave a port and give the above mentioned information.

That's great that Royal Caribbean stopped the announcements. We sailed them on a family cruise a few years ago and their announcements went on forever.

Annoying.

I tune out the cruise director's announcements and toss out the printed sales pitches that land in my door slot.

The sales pitch papers go immediately into my waste basket's recycling section.

Extremely annoying. As others have posted, we read the daily program, decide what we want to do, & forget the rest. Having activities read to us grates. HAL has gotten worse over the years with these announcements. They need to cut out ALL announcements except those that relate to emergency drills & captain's daily update. Other than those, I don't listen nor do I care.

I would be very happy if the CD announcements stopped, however I must say that the level of annoying for me depends on the CD. Some are brief and to the point - not a biggie, but many drone on way beyond what is needed - boooooring. As others have said - I do usually enjoy the Captain's messages.