Did you enjoy CATS on Oasis?

...it was not the fault of the cast. They were great.

I was surprised because I did not recognize much of the music & there was no scenery change. Not really understanding the story made it beyond boring after awhile.

We barely made it to the intermission & left....along with many others.

I have heard that a lot of the more popular songs are in the second half. We are going back on the Oasis in August and I am just going to go in during the intermission to watch the second half....there will be plenty of seats.

I do feel sorry for the cast. At various times, a few cast members run up and down the aisles. I am sure they are aware of people leaving.

I do think Royal made a mega mistake choosing this show....and I am a real musical lover.

It is very hard to follow if you do not know the story let alone being too long.

Although cruises are relaxing, I think most people tend to do a lot and are too tired to sit that long after a long,large dinner :O)

I just got back from Oasis yesterday and loved the production, it was fantastic. It was a real shame that half the audience left at the intermission, and it was truly their loss.

Cats is kind of an odd show and perhaps wasn't the most conventional choice for a cruise ship, but my entire multi-generational party enjoyed the show.

I just got back from Oasis yesterday and loved the production, it was fantastic. It was a real shame that half the audience left at the intermission, and it was truly their loss.

Cats is kind of an odd show and perhaps wasn't the most conventional choice for a cruise ship, but my entire multi-generational party enjoyed the show.

I too enjoyed Cats (on the same cruise, I might add - BTW, there is a new cast). it also reminded me that like the Broadway show, I enjoyed the second act more, and all those that left missed the best part (including the best version of "Memory").

IMO, it is more like an opera than a musical, as there really isn't any spoken dialog. It is also an eclectic show that mostly doesn't have a continuous story line, but is more like a collection of individual stories in song and dance that eventually has a connecting story, so it is hard for some to follow.

If you enjoyed any production on land, you will probably enjoy this as well (and stay through the second act).

We walked out of Cats on Broadway many years ago. Have absolutely no desire to sit through 2 1/2 hours of it on a ship. It's just not the kind of entertainment I hope to enjoy while on a cruise. I want something less serious, more upbeat and a whole lot shorter!

I have read many comments from folks that really did not enjoy CATS on Oasis, saying it is too long and boring. I saw CATS on Broadway, and loved it.

Did anyone out there love it?

We loved it. I think it does start slow but it was a great musical. It is long because unlike Chicago, Cats is left intact in its original form with all the songs included. Unfortunately, those who may only have seen clips of the musical or the song Memories may be disappointed. The second half has an awesome version Memories. The Cats interact with the audience on the isles in the second half making it more fun. The scenes don't change much since this is on a cruise ship and the theater is used for 3 other shows with stage scenes but we didn't feel like it deterred from the show itself. If you stay after intermission, make sure you move down to stage level of the theater.

Edited by nednrom

I have read many comments from folks that really did not enjoy CATS on Oasis, saying it is too long and boring. I saw CATS on Broadway, and loved it.

Did anyone out there love it?

Heard Andrew Lloyd Webber was onboard Oasis following dry dock just before Atlantic crossing to inspect the set, which met his approval.

I was on the next Oasis cruise (first one from Port Everglades) and watched CATS on the first night. An Associate Producer came out and explained that it was a "Preview" (I forget the exact term, not a dress rehearsal, but whatever comes after that) and it was her job to make sure the performance stayed true to the original Broadway one. She also explained about the music, and something about the second half would be all piano or something similar.

During the intermission, the Big Cat (not sure names) stayed out on stage for people to take photos with him (or her).

If you enjoyed CATS on Broadway, then you should enjoy CATS on Oasis.

...it was not the fault of the cast. They were great.

I was surprised because I did not recognize much of the music & there was no scenery change. Not really understanding the story made it beyond boring after awhile.

We barely made it to the intermission & left....along with many others.

I have heard that a lot of the more popular songs are in the second half. We are going back on the Oasis in August and I am just going to go in during the intermission to watch the second half....there will be plenty of seats.

I do feel sorry for the cast. At various times, a few cast members run up and down the aisles. I am sure they are aware of people leaving.

I do think Royal made a mega mistake choosing this show....and I am a real musical lover.

It is very hard to follow if you do not know the story let alone being too long.

Although cruises are relaxing, I think most people tend to do a lot and are too tired to sit that long after a long,large dinner :O)

I agree it is hard to follow if you don't know the premise behind the show. When we talked to the actors after the show, they told us they had proposed a synopsis handout be given out. This was in Jan so I don't know if they've had a chance to do that yet.

We saw CATS earlier this year. Before sailing, I got the book, "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" by T. S. Eliot. Aside from "Memory", I think that the lyrics for all of the songs in the show are word-for-word the poems in this book. I also found a synopsis of the show on line, and it really made a difference in understanding what was going on. I'll admit that I couldn't understand every word that was sung, but could get enough of it to relate it to the poem, and keep up with the story.

My young-adult grandson liked it so much that he went back a second night - sitting in the 3rd or 4th row. (We had previously sat in the balcony.) I'll be sailing on the Oasis again next February, and I intend to sit much closer to the stage for my second time at CATS.

I agree that it is a long show for a cruise, especially when you may have done a lot of other activities during the day. Not the same as going to a performance on land, where that may be your main activity for the day.

I strongly encourage you to get the paperback book, "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" by T. S. Eliot, with wonderful illustrations by Edward Gorey. It costs less than $10. Also, check out the synopsis of CATS on wikipedia. Many of the bad reviews I've read on here are complaints by people who had no idea what was going on. Inform yourself in advance, and you should enjoy it.

We didn't enjoy it, but we did stay until the end. The cast was excellent, but it was just a little boring to us and hard to follow. We love seeing musicals on Broadway and locally, but this really didn't do it for us. I did read a brief synopsis in advance, so had some idea of what was going on, but my daughter was clueless and really didn't like it.

I loved it, and I thought the cast was every bit as good as the Broadway Touring Company when we saw it a few years ago. I wish Royal would publish some kind of a short "Playbill" because I think it might help if people were familiar with the plot.

I do not see why everyone would expect to 'love' CATS on Oasis.

Musical theater is often a question of taste. While one person is going to thoroughly enjoy an experience someone else might find it long and boring.

I have a similar feeling for 'Saturday Night Fever'. I absolutely hated it the first time I sat through it on Liberty. On the second and third occasion I just 'grazed' the performance, walking in just occasionally to view the current production. There is nothing 'wrong' with the RCI production of Saturday Night Fever, but I just personally do not like it.

That said, there is something else often going on with CATS on Oasis. Many passengers have come to the performance having been 'forced' to adapt dinner or 'lounge' plans to get in line to get 'good' seats for the show.

On my sailing, some had lined up for over an hour prior to the theater opening and then sat a half hour for the show to start. By the time intermission came, many of these 'CATS haters' left before the peak of the show that comes post-intermission.

The timing of the shows 'peak' along with the circumstances of passenger behavior on a cruise ship have led to many of these 'dissatisfied' show viewers opinion. Their opinion is not only based on the 'quality' of the show, but the circumstances that surround the experience.

I'm sorry, I hated and I have seen many shows in the past. I really tried to sit through it and understand it, but I couldn't enjoy it. I'm sorry but it is complete BS that I have to read the poems and detail synopsis of the show before I see to be able to understand it. It is a poor show if that is what is need to understand it. The fact that half if not more leave after every showing tells you it's not just "haters" it's widespread disklike. Any decent show would not lose half it's audience every night it, sorry to those that like it, I don't blame you. Time to kick those Jelico cats to the curb and put on a production that can keep it's audience.

We were at the very first showing of CATS on the Oasis westbound TA in November 2014. The scenery and costumes were outstanding and the actors talented BUT it moves far too slowly for us and was boring. I was resigned to being there for 2 1/2 hours as my wife loves the theatre but she asked if I wouldn't mind leaving at intermission. Didn't need to be asked twice. A large segment of the audience did not return after intermission.

Cats is a love it or hate it show and as long as it is done in its entirety you will see large numbers of people exiting at intermission. I felt badly for the cast but not badly enough to stay for the second half. RCI badly misjudged a large segment of its audience in choosing Cats.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

I'm sorry, I hated and I have seen many shows in the past. I really tried to sit through it and understand it, but I couldn't enjoy it. I'm sorry but it is complete BS that I have to read the poems and detail synopsis of the show before I see to be able to understand it. It is a poor show if that is what is need to understand it. The fact that half if not more leave after every showing tells you it's not just "haters" it's widespread disklike. Any decent show would not lose half it's audience every night it, sorry to those that like it, I don't blame you. Time to kick those Jelico cats to the curb and put on a production that can keep it's audience.

Given that it is one of the longest running shows ever on broadway I don't think it can be labelled a poor show. It may not be to your taste and it may not be suited to the cruise market but the show itself has been highly successful on land. I can understand why RCI were keen to get the rights to it for their ships. It's a shame that the cruise audience hasn't appreciated it as much as other audiences around the world.

Just off the Oasis. Not my sort of thing, so I didn't go, but I spoke to a lady who loves musicals and has seen CATS on Broadway. She said it was a better production than the Broadway one and went to see it again the next day! If you loved it on Broadway, you'll love it on the ship.

Simon

We really enjoyed it. Having seen the Broadway version from less than ideal seats and only the first half, this time we came expecting to feel the same and had very low expectations. We ended up with wonderful seats, already knew the music, the story line and had a much better appreciation for the show. The cast is top notch and we actually made it through the entire production. Very glad we went and stayed. Not sure if we will take in the whole show again in November though.

I think it is way beyond the time tolerance of people on a seven night sailing, when most of the potential audience have never been on a cruise or to a broadway musical. The first act is the weakest act, the best songs and productions are in the second act. Have seen Cats at least 4 times (last about 15 years ago). I thought the production on the ship was top notch. I just think that it is too much of almost everything for people on a cruise.

So, if you like broadway musicals and if you don't mind killing 2-1/2 hours, go it is really good.

jc

I saw it back in January and loved I it. It is the type of show that you really need to read about it before hand so you know what it is about and then know what is going on. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk