The latest I can fly into Airport at Ft. Lauderdale

GoneJohnson

I am booked on a HAL 21 day Panama canal next March 12th a Saturday. I am in a wheelchair so there are "extras" I think I'll need to come in a day early as the earliest flight to there is from the sticks here arrives at 2.35pm and that's just not enough time or is it okay?

I always here go early, early.... I'd hate to miss it. Air plane/port slow downs... cutting it to close. I could use the night of rest anyway.

Comments appreciated,

Randy

I am booked on a HAL 21 day Panama canal next March 12th a Saturday. I am in a wheelchair so there are "extras" I think I'll need to come in a day early as the earliest flight to there is from the sticks here arrives at 2.35pm and that's just not enough time or is it okay?

I always here go early, early.... I'd hate to miss it. Air plane/port slow downs... cutting it to close. I could use the night of rest anyway.

Comments appreciated,

Randy

Don't do it. Go the day before.

arriving at 2:35? assuming all goes well, you still have to get luggage and get to the port. It's not far but there are just too many buts. Traffic, accidents, issues with the flights, delayed flights. The list is endless.

I wouldn't dream of it but I don't like flying to start my cruise when I should have been on board elsewhere.

It's not worth the risk and who wants the stress.

Just come the day before and have a relaxing evening and go at your leisure to board rather than be worrying you are going to miss the ship.

Hey Thanks, my thoughts exactly. aI've never been to Florida or cruised HAL. I'd of hated for someone to say "we do it all the time"

I'm already setup with HAL to come in a day early and deal with the extra transfers. I have used an electric power wheelchair since age 15 - swimming accident, nope not diving a freak swimming....

Even if your flight would arrive in the morning, I would NEVER take the risk missing a cruise. For domestic flights, a day in advance is enough, certainly that time of year. International, I always try to arrive at least 2 full days early.

There's so many things that can happen when flying, just imagine all the stress you'd be going through if there was even a small delay and you're scheduled to arrive in the afternoon of your cruise.

There's so many things that can happen when flying, just imagine all the stress you'd be going through if there was even a small delay and you're scheduled to arrive in the afternoon of your cruise.....

.....and your baggage doesn't make it. :eek:

Edited by Boatdrill

Hey Thanks, my thoughts exactly. aI've never been to Florida or cruised HAL. I'd of hated for someone to say "we do it all the time"

I'm already setup with HAL to come in a day early and deal with the extra transfers. I have used an electric power wheelchair since age 15 - swimming accident, nope not diving a freak swimming....

Always smart to arrive at least a day early (I do two days for overseas cruises). I found out first hand how important this is on my last cruise. I was supposed to arrive in FLL a little after 2pm but due to fog, it was actually after 6 pm. One of my suitcases did not arrive until 1:30 am the following morning. I would have missed the cruise if I had flown in the day of embarkation.

Spending a few extra dollars for a hotel is a small cost to the peace of mind in arriving early.

Fortunately the port is very close to the airport. Cabs are always available. But we always go a day before. Our upcoming Oct Oosterdam cruise is out of Ft Lauderdale and we'll be going a day early.

Dan

Many things can go wrong if you fly in the day of the cruise. Our daughter and friend flew from Houston, Texas last month to meet us on a cruise in Ft Lauderdale. They arrived on time at 12:30 PM but the luggage did not make it. They stayed at the airport until the next flight arrived at 2:30 PM. The luggage was on this flight and they arrived at the port at 3:15 PM; just before the emergency drill.

Comments appreciated,

Randy

If the ship departs at 4:30 which is probably close to the correct time, you must be on board 90 minutes earlier at 3:00. You will not make it.

DON

I totally agree with everyone saying you're smart to arrive the day before. It's nice to arrive at the ship for early embarkation, which you'll be able to do. And you'll be rested as well, without having had to stress over being late.

Enjoy your 21 day cruise!

Even if your flight would arrive in the morning, I would NEVER take the risk missing a cruise. For domestic flights, a day in advance is enough, certainly that time of year. International, I always try to arrive at least 2 full days early.

There's so many things that can happen when flying, just imagine all the stress you'd be going through if there was even a small delay and you're scheduled to arrive in the afternoon of your cruise.

March is not always nice, and last March one day in advance was not enough for some unfortunate travelers who were flying through NYC. OP, I can't imagine what you were thinking when you were considering flying in the same afternoon as departure. The only time I would consider not arriving a day in advance is if the first port of call was an easy flight. And even then, it would have to be a matter of being absolutely unable to arrive a day early. Enjoy your cruise and I hope you will enjoy HAL!

I really thank you all for the sound advice. I really asked a silly question thinking about it. But for me being in a wheelchair the extra night some where in a new town is usually a PIA. extra transfers to odd sized beds so many little things it would be nice to arrive and go... but impractical and not worth jeopardizing a cruise I've been working on for three years.

Thanks, looking forward to this cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Enjoy every bit....

HAL crew are very helpful for those who may need a bit of assistance. Don't hesitate to ask a steward if some assistance would make things easier for you. Very often they will be there to lend a hand without you asking.

If the ship departs at 4:30 which is probably close to the correct time, you must be on board 90 minutes earlier at 3:00. You will not make it.

DON

Don that's not quite right.. Many Posters are under that erroneous impression.. Psgrs. must be checked-in 60 minutes before departure, & they can do an on-line check-in from home.. We always check in on line at least a week before departure & sometimes earlier.. Psgrs. must be on-board before they pull the gangway.. There have been times when Psgrs. are literally rushed through to board & they have pulled the gangway immediately after..

This is the CBP rule:

Check out the Federal Register: http://www.access-board.gov/eth/establish.pdf

dated Aug 23, 2007 Vol. 72 No 163..Column 1 Pg 2 states:

Quote:

For sea travel, CBP will require vessel carriers to transmit passenger and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure. For vessels departing from foreign ports destined to arrive at a U.S. port, CBP is retaining the current requirement to transmit passenger and crew arrival manifest data at least 24 hours and up to 96 hours prior to the vessel’s entry at the U.S. port of arrival.

DATES: Effective Date: February 19, 2008

Unquote

However, IMO anyone flying into Ft. Lauderdale is taking a chance flying in on day of departure..

We drive to the port & leave our home around 8:30 a.m. for the 2 hour drive, to allow enough time for traffic or even car problems.. One time, after getting our Van out of the shop two days prior to our cruise we got on the Interstate & had problems.. Our Van kept stalling out..We were able to get off, at the next exit, go to a car rental place leave our car there & rent another van to get to the port, but that took us several hours extra..:eek: Thank goodness it happened close to our Airport with many car rental agencies..I called our garage & they picked up our Van the next day.. We had another couple with us & everyone in the car was on pins & needles.. Since then we rent the van's to drive to the port..

Edited by serendipity1499