Best airport for bayonne, nj?

SeaWatch

Newark Liberty - EWR

20 mins.

Agree, no question it is Newark but allot a little extra time, lots of construction in the area especially going into Bayonne which you will get no matter what airport you choose. Also, on the East Coast Departures board there are some particularly helpful people, lots of info on hotels, etc.

Edited by dkjretired

EWR is the best in every category. People at EWR (working & travelers) are extremely rude and discourteous. You never want to go to EWR or Newark, NJ EVER, unless you have to.

JFK & LGA in NYC make EWR seem like a pleasure to visit. As a G-IV Captain (based at EWR for 1 year) I have been to all these airports. I lived my entire life in NJ, mostly in northern NJ.

JFK & LGA always win the worst airport awards in every category. I haven't even gotten into the traffic & weather problems associated with these locations.

Northeastern NJ (near NYC) is horrible to visit, that's a fact. Just go to EWR and take a car service or cab to Cape Liberty and put it all behind you. Follow what I said and NO PROBLEMS.

CaptDave

All are good replies. Also, the Cape Liberty port is only about an hour and 20 minutes from the Philadelphia airport. I know, because we often do the route. So I would shop around for the best rates and best schedule, with three options to choose from.

...Northeastern NJ (near NYC) is horrible to visit, that's a fact...

I wouldn't say we're HORRIBLE, but aside from places like the Great Falls or the Palisades, we're simply not that scenic or tourist-attractive. Take away Broadway, the museums, and other cultural highlights, and I wouldn't say that, aside of views of the rivers, NYC isn't all that attractive either. Not meant to troll here, but as a native yourself, you're being a little harsh.

All that being said, SeaWatch, CaptDave is 100% accurate about about EWR over JFK and LGA...not to mention the exorbitant transport costs to get to Bayonne from the NYC airports.

EWR is the closest airport. The "best" airport depends on where you are coming from. All three airports have their challenges. If you can fly in the day before your cruise you should. The port is an easy cab ride from NYC.

EWR is the closest airport. The "best" airport depends on where you are coming from. All three airports have their challenges. If you can fly in the day before your cruise you should. The port is an easy cab ride from NYC.

Have to disagree, EWR is the best airport because it is so close. The other two airports will involve an expensive cab ride or car service. I have seen many people on this board go to the other airports because the flights were cheaper only to have the savings wiped out by transfer costs.

Edited by dkjretired

Due to construction in the area, make sure you build in a cushion to allow for that. Friends took a bus sponsored by the cruise line and the driver got lost due to construction. They got there in plenty of time but it took longer than anticipated.

Thanks! EWR it is, unless Philadelphia is a great bargain.

I had a south Jersey home for 7 years. Used to airline out of PHL a bunch of times. PHL is just a long distance away compared to EWR. In the summer the traffic will kill you. In the winter it's the snow. With the Summit I guess it would be mostly summer. NJ Turnpike can be a nightmare in the summer.

Just use EWR and be done with it.

In the NYC area things are measured in time, not miles. You could be 5 miles away and have it take you 3 hours.

CaptDave

Edited by captdave

Have to disagree, EWR is the best airport because it is so close. The other two airports will involve an expensive cab ride or car service. I have seen many people on this board go to the other airports because the flights were cheaper only to have the savings wiped out by transfer costs.

What if you had a direct flight at convenient times, at a better price, versus an expensive one with stops or connections? Also greater likelihood that your luggage could be lost or delayed if you are not on a direct flight. If you are spending the night in Manhattan, all alternatives should be considered. I have two million flown miles on AA, 1 million on Delta, and fly regularly from all three airports. There are some routes into EWR that are three times the cost of an alternative airport. And if you have a few people in your party the analysis could be more compelling. My point - EWR is closer, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't compare alternatives, keeping in mind EWR is closer.

Edited by JFontaine

Thanks! EWR it is, unless Philadelphia is a great bargain.

Check the transfer fees and time spent from Philadelphia to The pier in Hoboken. Unless it's almost free it's not going to be worth it. Jmo

Edited by Got2Cruise

What if you had a direct flight at convenient times, at a better price, versus an expensive one with stops or connections? Also greater likelihood that your luggage could be lost or delayed if you are not on a direct flight. If you are spending the night in Manhattan, all alternatives should be considered. I have two million flown miles on AA, 1 million on Delta, and fly regularly from all three airports. There are some routes into EWR that are three times the cost of an alternative airport. And if you have a few people in your party the analysis could be more compelling. My point - EWR is closer, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't compare alternatives, keeping in mind EWR is closer.

I'm sure you can come up with circumstances where it might pay off but the large majority of the time going into EWR is going to be more convienent and least expensive.

which unfortunately won't work for us on this trip- We need to fly in and out of JFK, as Jetblue works best for us from California. Everyone's circumstances are different-- We need to take a red eye flight-- Jetblue has the cheapest lay flat seats- but only from LAX to JFK. I can't stand being worn out the first day of a vacation. After the cruise we will be in the Queens area visiting relatives and friends, so we will fly back using Jetblue to our closest airport where we live. (Fortunately not a red eye- much cheaper for the return.) But we are paying a ridiculous amount of money to Dial 7 to be driven from JFK and back from cruise ship.

If you can find satisfactory air fare arrangements in and out of Newark it definately is the most convenient for Cape Liberty.

But we are paying a ridiculous amount of money to Dial 7 to be driven from JFK and back from cruise ship.
Did you check over on the East Coast Departures board for possible cheaper alternatives than the Dial 7 car service? Here is a link to one that I am familiar with. Compare their rates with what Dial 7 quoted you. http://www.goairlinkshuttle.com/shuttle-service-to-cape-liberty-cruise-terminal Edited by SNJCruisers

For cruises leaving from Bayonne: what is the best airport and how much time should I lot from airport to the cruse port?

Thanks!

I'd go out of Newark, hands down. there is a lot of construction as has been mentioned. Frequently we arrive at the departure point a day earlier(winter, especially)We also frequently use the cruise shuttles offered by the cruiseline(at least on Cunard) You get to the airport & there's the person holding a placard with your name & the cruiseline name. They get you & your luggager to the ship.Much easier than finding a cab etc.

For cruises leaving from Bayonne: what is the best airport and how much time should I lot from airport to the cruse port?

Thanks!

Where are you coming from (city area), which cruise are you considering (Bermuda)?

CaptDave

How about the train?

Coming up from VA. Should we get off train at LaQuardia or is there a closer amtrak stop to the cruise terminal?

Thank you!

Are you talking about taking the train for a Bayonne Cruise? Go to the NY ports board for exact directions. I'm not an expert but when going to Bayonne you take Amtrak to Newark.

I'd go out of Newark, hands down. there is a lot of construction as has been mentioned. Frequently we arrive at the departure point a day earlier(winter, especially)We also frequently use the cruise shuttles offered by the cruiseline(at least on Cunard) You get to the airport & there's the person holding a placard with your name & the cruiseline name. They get you & your luggager to the ship.Much easier than finding a cab etc.

What do they charge for a cruise transfer?