ubp & tipping

sunnyduny

We are sailing Getaway in Jan. We have the UBP with tip included what i need to know is if you give the bar guy a tip on average how much cash would you give & do you give on every time you have a drink or wait till you leave and tip. Not used to this tipping all the time here in Scotland we just leave £2/3 when leaving restaurant but never in pubs

There's no need to tip with the UBP. If you want to add a little extra, feel free (I'm saying THAT to a Scotsman???), but it's up to you. If you're going to do it, add some earlier rather than later, then the waiter is likely to be more attentive.

(I'm a sassanach, BTW ;))

We are sailing Getaway in Jan. We have the UBP with tip included what i need to know is if you give the bar guy a tip on average how much cash would you give & do you give on every time you have a drink or wait till you leave and tip. Not used to this tipping all the time here in Scotland we just leave £2/3 when leaving restaurant but never in pubs

If the tip/service charge is included in the UBP, you do not need to leave any more tip. However, if you desire to leave a tip, in establishments where tipping is a normal activity, I think most people leave a tip with each purchase. However, there is also nothing wrong with simply leaving a tip at the end of your session in that bar/location. Especially if you plan on leaving cash and the rest of the transactions are simply "sign the slip" types as on a cruise ship.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Because I truly like the servers and bar tenders (with the most rare exception), I do the following. As mentioned, a generous 18% tip is included with the transaction. Although, how it is divided among the bar employees, I don't really know. But, if we are sitting out at a table and have a server bringing us our drinks (two of us being served), when he/she gives us the slip to sign with each service, I place a $1 in with it when I hand it back. It's not much, but is a small additional expression of appreciation for the individual. If we are sitting up at the bar and being served by the bartender behind the bar (my wife like that especially in the Mojito bars), the ticket usually remains open until we are ready to leave. The when I sign it, I then leave a dollar or two for each round served. Again, this is all optional for you. Just do as you feel like doing. Nothing mandatory and nothing even expected. The Mojito bartender on the Pearl last time said that making the Mojitos, which is labor intensive drink, is more so now in those Mojito specific bars. He said they used to be able to free pour the liquor in the drinks. He said that they are now required to use a very specific amount and measure it with a shot glass. He said the desire is to insure that all the Mojitos served from each bar or ship are mixed and taste the same. Actually, with the variety they offer now and as fancy as they have become, that probably is a good quality control procedure.

Edited by roger001

I find this need to tip on top of service charges and in addition to 18% added to drinks charges crazy. Why is it necessary to add a tip on top of a tip ? Where does it end ?

As many people said, there is no need to leave anything extra, it is strictly a personal choice.

I was not sure the wait staff would be getting anything in the context fo the promo. If I had paid for the UBP & additional 18% then I would have already tipped so I would likely not leave anything additional. I'll see how I do this upcoming B2B. I chose the UBP as my promo so I will likely tip $1 a drink/order.

As for the UDP, we bought it and paid for it. Given that we were charged 18%, I am not sure I will leave anything additional. That being said, I tipped 10$-15$ additional in the specialty restaurants last cruise even though we had bought the UDP. Should be noted that we bought the UDP prior to the introduction of the 18% gratuity on it. I somehow feel that 10$ isn't huge (70$ over the course of the cruise) for the wait staff. My total for my sign-and-sail card was 390$ last cruise and that included 40$ in clothes my wive bought and 75$ in room service (we ordered a very special lunch on day for a special occasion).So we roughly left 275$ in tips here and there. Not huge in proportion to my spend for the week. You don't have to leave a penny but I think when you do you usually get very attentive service. If you don't, discontinue the tipping: that is what I do. Those who go the extra mile get rewarded accordingly.

We found a couple of bartenders that would let us leave a tab open. We'd leave 10$ a night, and 20$ on the last night to our favorites. But we really appreciate not having to sign after every drink, and they didn't do that for just anyone. :)

P.S. Wanted to add, I don't think I saw anyone drinking on our last cruise that did not have the UBP sticker. I'm a people watcher, and I'd say that for the most part, people did not tip extra.

Edited by AlexandNessa

Just returned from the DAWN on 5/15. We had the UBP, but in talking with bartenders/booze crew waiters/waitresses, we found that the tips are their ONLY source of income. They are not included on the daily gratuity that we're charged. They do not earn a minimum wage from NCL. Our tips provide their entire income. They were great people to talk to and interact with and I had no problem with throwing an extra $1.00, $2.00, $5.00, etc. on to the tab. Judging by the way Irene hustled, she is doing fine - as well she should.

That's bull....all of the staff get a salary, too...it's NOT just tips! (By the way, NEVER ask a tipped person how much they get, or if they get all of the tips...they will always say they don't get much, if anything....)

Just returned from the DAWN on 5/15. We had the UBP, but in talking with bartenders/booze crew waiters/waitresses, we found that the tips are their ONLY source of income. They are not included on the daily gratuity that we're charged. They do not earn a minimum wage from NCL. Our tips provide their entire income. They were great people to talk to and interact with and I had no problem with throwing an extra $1.00, $2.00, $5.00, etc. on to the tab. Judging by the way Irene hustled, she is doing fine - as well she should.

That is just not true. We were in an airport departure lounge with a few cruise staff, waiters and bartenders, who were returning home. They were all well dressed and had the latest phones and I-pads etc. They work hard and get rewarded with a basic wage and share of the tips.

I bet they love the Americans who frankly are tip crazy.

...and if you believe that, I have some swamp land and a bridge that I'd like to sell you!:eek: The staff does depend on tips, but it is not the sole income they receive. Although the salary may be small, remember they also get a place to stay and all their meals while they are working. I am just making the point that if they say all they get are tips, then they are lying, and taking you for a ride which some folks seem all to willing to take. BTW, I do tip always and many times more than what is suggested, but not because I feel obligated to because of some "sob story". Just my take on this belabored subject. :)

I must say I am disbelieving that the barstaff actually get the full 18% that is theoretically added if you have the UBP.

It would mean that for all the promo UDPs that it was NCL paying the tips and somehow that seems doubtful.

The only people who will know are the finance team at NCL, and I doubt they are talking.

Got UBP as a promo. Was told tips are already included. That is sufficient.

Like any cruise we have been on if we find a great bartender that is happy to serve us and makes our time enjoyable we will give a bit more cash directly to him or her at the end.

My friend just returned from the Jewel cruise to Alaska, she had the UBP promo and she was charged the 18% , said it came to about $20 a day.

From NCL website

The Ultimate Beverage Package Terms & Conditions

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $11 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

A sticker will be placed on your guest key card to identify that you have purchased this package.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $11. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $11 will receive an $11 discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

A 18% gratuity will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Guests purchasing this package on board during the dates of March 1st through April 15th will only be able to purchase on embarkation day.

*Effective for Norwegian Sky sailings booked on or after 4/22/15: FREE Ultimate Beverage Package for sailings on or after 1/1/16. See full Terms & Conditions

My friend just returned from the Jewel cruise to Alaska, she had the UBP promo and she was charged the 18% , said it came to about $20 a day.

Hopefully someone else will chime in, but I thought I read in other threads that *if* a tip was charged, it eventually got zeroed out before you got off the ship. Did she have any credits that may have cancelled the tip charges?

Per NCL:

"A 18% gratuity will be added to all package purchases"

In theory we have already "purchased" the package, so the tip should be included.

They were CHARGED that? Makes no sense at all. Contrary to what all others had reported and what NCL is saying to guests.

From NCL website

The Ultimate Beverage Package Terms & Conditions

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $11 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

A sticker will be placed on your guest key card to identify that you have purchased this package.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $11. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $11 will receive an $11 discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

A 18% gratuity will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Guests purchasing this package on board during the dates of March 1st through April 15th will only be able to purchase on embarkation day.

*Effective for Norwegian Sky sailings booked on or after 4/22/15: FREE Ultimate Beverage Package for sailings on or after 1/1/16. See full Terms & Conditions

If true, then she was diddled.