Yay, we got our flight information! ...Or not??

Sharra13

We are cruising on the Danube in August with Viking and used Viking Air. My TA sent over our flight itinerary yesterday and I was so excited. I immediately went online and chose seats, put the schedule into my calendar, etc.

But today when I went again to the carrier website to check something, it no longer exists. I called Viking and they said my flights were not officially "ticketed" yet and what they sent me was only tentative. Huh? So basically all the info they sent me was just a "this COULD be your schedule, but may be totally different" schedule?

I am a little frustrated, since we are just over 90 days away and I was really excited to be able to make plans, pick seats, buy luggage, etc. All of our flight times and connections looked pretty good, too, (I was so relieved!) so it's going to extra suck if it comes out worse in the end. :(

What the heck is the point of sending me information that could completely change?? Is this a normal thing? How likely is it to really change at this point? They said I should get my "official" itinerary 75-90 days out (90 days is tomorrow).

We are cruising on the Danube in August with Viking and used Viking Air. My TA sent over our flight itinerary yesterday and I was so excited. I immediately went online and chose seats, put the schedule into my calendar, etc.

But today when I went again to the carrier website to check something, it no longer exists. I called Viking and they said my flights were not officially "ticketed" yet and what they sent me was only tentative. Huh? So basically all the info they sent me was just a "this COULD be your schedule, but may be totally different" schedule?

I am a little frustrated, since we are just over 90 days away and I was really excited to be able to make plans, pick seats, buy luggage, etc. All of our flight times and connections looked pretty good, too, (I was so relieved!) so it's going to extra suck if it comes out worse in the end. :(

What the heck is the point of sending me information that could completely change?? Is this a normal thing? How likely is it to really change at this point? They said I should get my "official" itinerary 75-90 days out (90 days is tomorrow).

We went through the same thing. The reservations are issued, but not ticketed through the airlines yet. Viking won't do that til I think they said 45 days. We asked for ours to be pre-processed, the caveat is that you lose the ability to cancel or change in case of an emergency.

We didn't care, we wanted it processed so we could upgrade our seats, I am 6'2" with long legs, I don't fit comfortably in standard economy, so we upgrade to economy plus for the trans-Atlantic flights.

This is normal a typical with most if not all "Cruise Air". Until they Pay the airline it's not ticketed and can certainly change. You also run the huge risk of crappy seats as that's all that's left. This girl is one of the reasons many people prefer to make their own air arrangements. Viking air either cheap or free, there is a reason and sometimes you luck out and sometimes you have a huge hassle. Check your connection times, are they safe or too close. Do you arrive in time to enjoy your 1st day or ??? These are all reported issues. Check your itinerary carefully

This is normal a typical with most if not all "Cruise Air". Until they Pay the airline it's not ticketed and can certainly change. You also run the huge risk of crappy seats as that's all that's left. This girl is one of the reasons many people prefer to make their own air arrangements. Viking air either cheap or free, there is a reason and sometimes you luck out and sometimes you have a huge hassle. Check your connection times, are they safe or too close. Do you arrive in time to enjoy your 1st day or ??? These are all reported issues. Check your itinerary carefully

J'ville gal is correct. I think most lines (I know Vantage does) will give you your flight numbers, times, and seat assignments , they are not official until 45 days before departure when they are paid for. That being said, in 6 trips with Vantage I have never had my flights changed from what was originally posted on my itinerary, including seat assignments., other than the occasional time change. I check my flight itinerary periodically to make sure there are no changes and so far there haven't been.

We had this happen with Uniworld--we got a substantial discount if we booked air through them. I, too, wanted to select our seats so I just asked that they ticket us then, and they did. We were warned we couldn't change flights after that, but that was okay.

Just out of curiosity, later I did a search of flights, and the ones Uniworld selected were the best in terms of the shortest travel time. While it would have been nice to have been on, say, Delta, to get the FF miles, it wasn't worth the longer travel time to me (we are booked on Air Canada, with one leg on our return trip on Lufthansa... through FRANKFURT! LOL. Thanks to the board I knew to check our connection time and we're good).

We had this happen with Uniworld--we got a substantial discount if we booked air through them. I, too, wanted to select our seats so I just asked that they ticket us then, and they did. We were warned we couldn't change flights after that, but that was okay.

Just out of curiosity, later I did a search of flights, and the ones Uniworld selected were the best in terms of the shortest travel time. While it would have been nice to have been on, say, Delta, to get the FF miles, it wasn't worth the longer travel time to me (we are booked on Air Canada, with one leg on our return trip on Lufthansa... through FRANKFURT! LOL. Thanks to the board I knew to check our connection time and we're good).

I've always let Vantage book our plane as well. I've gone on line and never been able to beat their price except for a consolidator and I had a bad experience with them so I won't use them. Lufthansa is our favorite airline and Delta is our least favorite and Vantage is very good about only placing us on LH, which does mean FRA plane change, but we're used to it now!

I'm flying Air Canada to Vancouver in 2 weeks and it's very nice. I'm also flying Delta to Amsterdam and not too happy about that, but willing to give them another chance since LH wants me to fly to FRA and then to AMS, which Delta does non-stop.

I've always let Vantage book our plane as well. I've gone on line and never been able to beat their price except for a consolidator and I had a bad experience with them so I won't use them. Lufthansa is our favorite airline and Delta is our least favorite and Vantage is very good about only placing us on LH, which does mean FRA plane change, but we're used to it now!

I'm flying Air Canada to Vancouver in 2 weeks and it's very nice. I'm also flying Delta to Amsterdam and not too happy about that, but willing to give them another chance since LH wants me to fly to FRA and then to AMS, which Delta does non-stop.

I'm curious about the meals on Air Canada, and debating if I should order a low-fat or low-calorie meal for the TA flight. Most likely I'll probably just chance the regular one, as I'm concerned a specialty meal might contain seafood or fish.

I lived in Cincinnati for 7 years and as a former Delta hub, wasn't able to get many flights other than Delta, even once the hub status was gone. And airfares were ridiculous--highest in the nation at one point. They're better now but still up there. Now that we're in Columbus we have a bit more choice.

I'm curious about the meals on Air Canada, and debating if I should order a low-fat or low-calorie meal for the TA flight. Most likely I'll probably just chance the regular one, as I'm concerned a specialty meal might contain seafood or fish.

I lived in Cincinnati for 7 years and as a former Delta hub, wasn't able to get many flights other than Delta, even once the hub status was gone. And airfares were ridiculous--highest in the nation at one point. They're better now but still up there. Now that we're in Columbus we have a bit more choice.

Share your feeling about seafood or fish......I'd rather go hungry than eat fish!!! I think I'd go with the regular food, they don't give you that much so unless you were a diabetic, I don't think one regular fat/calorie meal is going to do much. And you can always make up for it by eating low fat and low calorie for b-fast everyday! PS: We have family in Worthington OH. E-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com and when I return on 6/11 I'll send a message of the meal we get between Toronto and Vancouver. Keeping in mind we're flying business class, which fare on Air Canada is almost too good to be true.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Share your feeling about seafood or fish......I'd rather go hungry than eat fish!!! I think I'd go with the regular food, they don't give you that much so unless you were a diabetic, I don't think one regular fat/calorie meal is going to do much. And you can always make up for it by eating low fat and low calorie for b-fast everyday! PS: We have family in Worthington OH. E-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com and when I return on 6/11 I'll send a message of the meal we get between Toronto and Vancouver. Keeping in mind we're flying business class, which fare on Air Canada is almost too good to be true.

Small world! From what I've read business class has some good food--I was doing a Google search yesterday! Of course, one of the dishes they mentioned that was very good was salmon :D

As we discussed in another thread, I'm already trying to plan ahead in what I'll splurge on, food-wise, to keep any weight gain in check! But you're right, the airline meals are so small it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'll just have to make sure I have healthy snacks with me. My husband says travelling like me is like travelling with a toddler...

Small world! From what I've read business class has some good food--I was doing a Google search yesterday! Of course, one of the dishes they mentioned that was very good was salmon :D

As we discussed in another thread, I'm already trying to plan ahead in what I'll splurge on, food-wise, to keep any weight gain in check! But you're right, the airline meals are so small it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'll just have to make sure I have healthy snacks with me. My husband says travelling like me is like travelling with a toddler...

Yeah I know what you mean. But it's all good....I got a Kindle Fire just so I wouldn't talk to him all the way to Frankfort....and it's great. :D

Thank goodness you brought this up, we also could not do upgrades, called the airline and was told the flights had not been 'ticketed', and we had to wait for that, so we've been waiting several days. We like our itinerary, so thx to Tim for your reply that we can ask Viking to do the ticketing or pre-processing, so I called Viking and they agreed to do it, even tho' we have discount air, and they said it takes about 24-48 hours to take effect.

-Bob

Wow, lots of replies! Thanks everyone.

Had no idea we can ask them to pre-process. Thanks, TimmH! Will call today and ask! :)

Speaking of food...that is definitely a stress factor for me, too. I recently found out I am allergic to wheat/gluten (and of course we are going to the land of pastries and pretzels--so depressing!!), so I guess I need to call the airline about that ahead of time? I've never been on a TA flight or had an in-flight meal before. I also HATE fish--like violently, nauseatingly, hate it (though I don't think I'm actually allergic to seafood). Should I just tell them I can't have either, to make things simple? I wonder what the heck they will serve me... :(

Had no idea we can ask them to pre-process. Thanks, TimmH! Will call today and ask! :)

Speaking of food...that is definitely a stress factor for me, too. I recently found out I am allergic to wheat/gluten (and of course we are going to the land of pastries and pretzels--so depressing!!), so I guess I need to call the airline about that ahead of time? I've never been on a TA flight or had an in-flight meal before. I also HATE fish--like violently, nauseatingly, hate it (though I don't think I'm actually allergic to seafood). Should I just tell them I can't have either, to make things simple? I wonder what the heck they will serve me... :(

Hi Sharra...you described my feelings about fish so eloquently!! :D I would notify both Viking and the airline about your gluten problem....as to the fish, I told Vantage before my first trip that I HATED it and would NOT EAT IT EVER...and they made a note of it, so when the salad had anchovies on it, mine did not. While I've never sailed with Viking, I would imagine their menus are done the same as Vantage's: you have a choice of appetizer, soup, salad and usually 3 entrees: 1 meat, 1 fish and 1 veggie. Plus you can always ask for grilled chicken. Don't know which airline you're flying, but I've never been on a TA flight that didn't offer at least two choices of meal. But the gluten allergy is important so definitely let them both know and don't count on Viking to notify the airline. YOU notify them too.

I would strongly suggest that you pack or buy at the airport, food for the flight that you will want to eat as the odds are good that the gluten-free meal is not going to be particularly appetizing.

Just be aware of the security restrictions on liquids/gels etc. for anything you bring from home to eat.

It is not uncommon for a single special meal to be used for a number of requirements, so for example a Vegan meal might be offered to cover Vegan\Vegetarian\Gluten Free.

Also take care if offered other snacks in-flight as it is likely that only the main meal will have been prepared with respect to your request.

I would strongly suggest that you pack or buy at the airport, food for the flight that you will want to eat as the odds are good that the gluten-free meal is not going to be particularly appetizing.

Just be aware of the security restrictions on liquids/gels etc. for anything you bring from home to eat.

It is not uncommon for a single special meal to be used for a number of requirements, so for example a Vegan meal might be offered to cover Vegan\Vegetarian\Gluten Free.

Also take care if offered other snacks in-flight as it is likely that only the main meal will have been prepared with respect to your request.

Good advice....I would definitely bring gluten free snacks and maybe even a roll or two from home....and I would keep them in their unopened original packaging.

Before you stress too much, check your airline's web site. Many airlines have special meals that you can order in advance online. I recently looked at LH and they must have 20 different meal types. I am not certain, but I think GF was one. Each type had a definition when needed, i.e., the various vegetarian were described but kosher was not. Good luck and enjoy your flight.

Sharra - I flew to Japan a few years ago and am not a fan of a lot of Japanese food. Honestly, some of the chicken and beef dishes on planes sort of make me sick. I called and asked for Vegetarian food (this was in coach) and every single one of my meals was nicely cut up pieces of fruit. This is opposed to the chicken and beef broth meals my fellow economy passengers received.

You may ask examples of gluten free or vegetarian free types of food but I was pleased with United Vegetarian food.

I've never been offered Fish on an airplane, so that is one thing you shouldn't have to worry about. :)

Fish in coach is almost unheard of, unless part of a special meal.

In business it is always going to be one of the options.

Before you stress too much, check your airline's web site. Many airlines have special meals that you can order in advance online. I recently looked at LH and they must have 20 different meal types. I am not certain, but I think GF was one. Each type had a definition when needed, i.e., the various vegetarian were described but kosher was not. Good luck and enjoy your flight.

LH do have GF as does pretty much every airline that you'll travel TATL with fortunately.

Just don't imagine that every option listed is actually a distinct and different meal :)

These days the airlines don't spend more than the minimum they have to on food, especially in coach so for example your lactose free meal may turn out to be the western vegetarian option which is also the vegan option :)

That's true, DH always orders the fish because he NEVER gets it at home.

Well, I just showed my cheap nature. Never been in Business Class.

Well, I just showed my cheap nature. Never been in Business Class.

You get to fly much more frequently in coach than you would in business for the same money, so makes sense to me :)

You get to fly much more frequently in coach than you would in business for the same money, so makes sense to me :)

Trouble with flying business class is you only do it once....and then you just can't do it any other way. I fly Southwest whenever I can all over the US, but when I go to Europe it's Lufthansa b.c. or I stay home. :D