Celebrity has to charge Spanish tax on all purchases

stipmom

I was planning on using our OBC to upgrade our drinks pkg. onboard (sailing out of Barcelona) but now I guess I'll be calling ahead of time.

Thanks for the head's up, in the past, we've only had the tax when in Spanish waters.

We're just off the Equinox, 5-11 to 5-21, Barcelona to Rome. I had a revealing conversation with the Finance Officer running Guest Services on this topic. This situation is not new and has been around for several years.

The Tax is based on the rates of the country of departure (ours was Spain).

It is applicable for all cruises calling only in EU ports.

A stop at non-EU port negates the VAT tax.

We did not have it on the TA from Florida to Spain. A confusing item is that receipts on board, regardless of where we were in the Med always referenced Spanish Waters. That was what prompted me to check with the ship's finance authority. I've no idea what Italy's rates are for cruises leaving Rome, but the same protocols apply. You can imagine how sales in the shops, art auctions, and computers in the iLounge dropped when he tax was seen by the passengers. For those feeling slightly miffed, the choice is to find an itinerary incorporating a non-EU stop, even looking to other cruise lines in some cases. Remember, all lines have to obey this regulation.

So if my cruise departs from Rome and all the ports of call are in the EU, am I better off calling and upgrading my dd's non-alcoholic package BEFORE we travel? As I'm in the UK I assume the £40 (ish) it costs to upgrade already includes VAT at 20%, but if I upgrade on board I'd pay the Italian rate of VAT...?:confused:

On Western Med. Itineraries, this is resolved by docking in Monaco, which is not part of the EU ( although part of Schengen and Eurozone).

Visiting Monaco voids the Spanish and Italian VAT tax when not in their Territorial Waters.

European Union countries

d02ab7da487241024da4640775bdc609.jpg

I see Croatia is in the list.

As we visit Montenegro I will certainly check we aren't charged the Spanish Tax if we upgrade on boarding. And will write this on the receipt. I want to use OBC.

Edited by Pushka

and has only EU ports EXCEPT Miami which is the port of disembarkation then does the VAT tax apply? LuAnn

As Miami is outside of the EU I would have thought it would be VAT free. Does the cruise stop in The Canaries, Gibraltar or The Azores, if so there should be no VAT.

As Miami is outside of the EU I would have thought it would be VAT free. Does the cruise stop in The Canaries, Gibraltar or The Azores, if so there should be no VAT.

at one of the Canary Islands...I thought that was considered part of Spain...no? :confused: LuAnn

On Western Med. Itineraries, this is resolved by docking in Monaco, which is not part of the EU ( although part of Schengen and Eurozone).

Visiting Monaco voids the Spanish and Italian VAT tax when not in their Territorial Waters.

On our W. Med cruise from Italy last fall, we stopped in Monaco then later two Spanish ports. We would have been charged Spain's VAT from entering their waters until we docked in Lisbon because we had a sea day after Spain before disembarking Lisbon.

I said "would have" because we didn't buy anything during that time! :D

There is no VAT in Miami. Last I looked, Miami was still in the U.S. Any tax in Florida waters would be a Florida sales tax, not VAT. Any it would cease upon leaving Florida waters.

Remember this is a EU regulation, not a Spanish tax, but if you sailed from Rome under the same circumstances, I suppose you would call it an Italian tax.

Monaco isnt outside the EU Vat zone. it applies the French rate

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Value_Added_Tax_Area#EU_VAT_area

There is no VAT in Miami. Last I looked, Miami was still in the U.S. Any tax in Florida waters would be a Florida sales tax, not VAT. Any it would cease upon leaving Florida waters.

Remember this is a EU regulation, not a Spanish tax, but if you sailed from Rome under the same circumstances, I suppose you would call it an Italian tax.

I didn't think I was going to pay VAT there...I was asking about ending a T/A there after calling in all EU ports..departing from Italy. I have since learned from great fellow CCers that the Canary Islands aren't included in the VAT so I'm A-OK for the cruise!! LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

LuAnn, even if you were not calling in the Azores, you would not pay a VAT tax. The requirement is ALL ports. You end in the port of Miami, ergo no VAT.

That makes sense...I just wasn't sure that the final port of disembarkation "counted" in the mix!! LuAnn