What kind of jacket for Alaska?

augiesmom

A waterproof shell that will fit over a fleece jacket. You'll need to work on layers, but not a lot of thick layers. Pack a pair of gloves and a hat as well.

Completely agreed.

Remember that August is still summer and the temps can be very pleasant, or it can rain like you've never seen it rain before. :p Layering is key. You may not need a hat and gloves in port, but on deck of your ship I would recommend them. Plan to be outside for at least some of the time; you can hear the icebergs "calving" from the ship - it's incredible.

Also suggest a pocket umbrella when your port stop is a sunny day because showers occur frequently in virtually every port.

Most lines will provide full umbrellas when you arrive in port with a rainstorm in progress or imminent so toting a full sized umbrella in your luggage is unnecessary.

And of course there will be a shop or two if you still need one.

Not what you asked, but don't forget sunglasses, flip flops and a swim suit as well. We used those as much as our warm gear on both our Alaska cruises (one was quite rainy, the other beautiful and warm)

We take waterproof jackets with zippered linings so that we can layer -- that is the key for Alaska -- layering.

Never have taken boots -- but do have waterproof shoes.

No matter where we cruise, we pack small portable umbrellas that slide into DH's back pack easily.

Sunglasses -- glare from the glaciers.

We have used bermudas several times on Alaskan cruises -- one pair each.

Rust-Oleum makes a product called "NEVER WET". We used this on our Sneakers, boots and other shoes with great success. We did this before our trip to Vancouver last September. It was rainy and our feet stayed nice and dry. Thought I would throw that idea into the great suggestions by other CC members. Have the best trip ever.

Edited by gwsster

Living in Florida I have started getting what we will need for Alaska next May. Fleece jackets with waterproof, windbreakers that will fit over them. We just purchased waterproof shoes from the Columbia outlet store (we figure these will come in handy for our Panama Canal cruise as well). Light weight gloves and hat. We will also take 1 pair of old sneakers if we anticipate a muddy shore excursion - can be tossed out afterwards.

We went in August last year and stayed for about a month. Hit small ship cruise along the Inside Passage with Alaskan Dream then did an overland tour with Alaskan Wildland Adventures in Kenai. We hiked, kayaked and rafted.

Layering is key. You can get very cold the closer you get to a glacier, you will be suprised how cold. I found one of the light weight Omni Heat jackets from Columbia to be my go to insulation for many occasions. It was lightweight enough I could fold it into a ball nearly the size of my fist and put it in my backpack. There just was not enough room for bulky jackets.

You also really need a good rain jacket. We also had rain pants, which I carried around in my backpack most days.

Edited by CorviCorvi

Leaving on the Jewel for Alaska on June 20th. Not sure what kind of jacket to pack for this trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've always found that a straight jacket works well for me.

Actually I recommend a lightly insulated wind proof jacket and a light weight rain proof jacket. If it is not raining, you will can leave the rain jacket in the cabin. If it might rain the light weight will allow you to comfortably carry it.

The same with the lightly insulated wind proof jacket. If the weather is nice, the light weight will make it easy to carry around. Don't dress for snow, it is not going to get that cold. But it can get cool in evening, so a lightly insulated jacket can come in handy.

My advice would be a decent quality, waterproof, windproof, breathable shell. Since the Goretex patent expired a few years ago there are a lot of generic Goretex type jackets available in the $50 to $100 range. Buy it a bit large so you can wear a fleece or sweater under it. Do not purchase a jacket with a sewn in fleece liner....if the jacket does leak or water runs down you neck they are extremely hard to dry. I would look at Cabalas, Pro Bass, REI and LL Bean or other large outdoor sporting goods stores.

Aloha :D,

Best investment I've ever made was a Goretex type jacket. I buy one size bigger so I can wear it over small backpack to keep the backpack dry (then the backpack doesn't have to be waterproof). It breathes but stops the wind from blowing through so no wind chill.

I always carry extra very lightweight long sleeve cotton t-shirt in backpack so I can layer up or down. I will start by wearing lightweight long sleeve cotton t-shirt over polo shirt to start in Alaska since it always seems to be chilly there.

Hope this helps.

Aloha :D

Leaving on the Jewel for Alaska on June 20th. Not sure what kind of jacket to pack for this trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you don't already own a light rain jacket, go to the "Dollar Store" and get a few clear rain ponchos. Just throw them away when you get back onboard.

I am sorry to disagree with lambchops but Dollar Store ponchos are all but useless in the rains and winds of Alaska. If you want to get full value from your Alaska cruise I strongly advise investing $50 to $100 dollars in a decent waterproof, unlined shell.

We went in early June, and only had mist. Never the hard rains people talk about. What did we pack? Well being from Wisconsin you may think we traveled rather light- so your mileage may vary so to speak.

We all had nice fleece jackets/sweatshirts. Nothing to buy for us, as we live in them most of the year anyhow. To go on top as an extra layer nice vests. Those pack into almost nothing when you squeeze the air out. Warm hats and gloves or mittens. We also packed jeans and wore a pair of jeans on our flight out. We also had our swim suits. Although I didn't go in the pool our boys did! I did sit in the hot tub though :)

We left Wisconsin the day after school got out (about this time of year) and the day we flew out it was a high of 59 degrees. This is about what we experienced the day we were in Glacier Bay, perhaps a bit cooler once we were at the big glaciers. Spent the day in fleece and vests with mittens and a hat and were fine. In port fleeces were fine, usually had our vests but really never zipped them up.

As others said, layers are key. Check the historical weather to see if you are sailing in a month that sees lots of rain, or a month with a bit less rain.

If you find you didn't pack enough warm fleece things they have them in almost every port. I picked up one in Sitka just because and I still wear it!

We took fleece-lined denim jackets that we waterproofed with a waterproofing spray. But most of the time simply wore a sweatshirt under lightweight windbreaker.

40 degree temperature swings in a day are no uncommon. Layers are a must. Synthetic fibers will keep you more comfortable in the case of rain or sea spray. Try and have a full zip fleece with you always. You don't have to buy expensive rain gear from an outdoors company. You can get reasonably priced, good quality gear at a Tractor Supply or feed store. If you get the rain pants as well it will be good insurance against a rainy trip. When I was there at this time of year on a land trip, I wore hiking shorts and boots, T-shirt and fleece almost daily. I am Canadian though and accustomed to cooler temps. If you are from the south, you will want more.

We just got back, our highs were around 60 and varying degrees of cloudy vs. sunny weather. The only time we were cold was when we were in Glacier Bay. Here is what we brought for outer layers:

light jacket/ hoodie

fleece vest

outer waterproof shell (Columbia)

The only time we needed our gloves, hats, and scarves were in Glacier Bay.

I agree that a scarf and gloves are worthwhile additions both for on deck activities such as sailing Glacier Bay, but also for the unlikely but still possible chilly day ashore.

My wife was happy to have her scarf and gloves when we did the Mendenhall Glacier excursion, for example.

We went in late June, early July. We only needed a light jacket-EXCEPT when passing the glacier= it was very cold and you needed a winter coat, gloves, hat, and scarf. They were selling hot chocolate and coffee laced with Baileys. That helped a lot! Best cruise!

And, carry a spare battery for your camera in your pocket to keep it warm.

When passing the glacier after a few shots the battery in my camera shut down from the cold.

With a spare battery you change it out and put the cold one into pocket to warm up.

Bob

When I was a kid we were too poor to afford snow boots so my grandma would put my socks and then slip a plastic grocery store bag over my foot, tie it off at the ankle and then put my shoe on. Pull the pant leg down and no one was ever the wiser. Cheap and my feet stayed dry. I always keep three rolled up plastic bags in my camera bag. One for my camera if it starts raining on me and two for my feet, just in case I'm caught not wearing my nice waterproof boots. Quick, easy, cheap and easy to transport.