Lunch in the MDR?

Chuckwick3

We always do embarkation lunch in the MDR and the menu posted above is the one that is usually presented.

We recently did a BVE on the Pacific Princess and that was a limited menu! Two appetizers, two mains and ONE dessert. No salad. I hope that was due to the small size of the ship and not in the future for other ships:eek:

In my last post this should have been in the past tense.

Actually I have heard that on turn around day it is 'All hands on deck' that the cabin stewards get help from other department employees setting up and cleaning cabins.If this did not happen it would be later rather than earlier for folks boarding .Also there could be a turnover of staff some leaving ,others boarding.Could this be the reason for a limited luncheon menu?

In my last post this should have been in the past tense.

Actually I have heard that on turn around day it is 'All hands on deck' that the cabin stewards get help from other department employees setting up and cleaning cabins.If this did not happen it would be later rather than earlier for folks boarding .Also there could be a turnover of staff some leaving ,others boarding.Could this be the reason for a limited luncheon menu?

Its the normal menu for embarkation lunch and not limited. :)

That's the embarkation lunch menu I like. There's another one that subs cod for the salmon and doesn't have the shrimp appetizer or the ravioli.

Back to one of the OP's questions about tables for two, just be aware that many of them are side by side with very little space between them. The good thing about those tables is that the waiter won't slow down the pace of your meal if you don't order as many courses as the people beside you do. Whenever we are in a hurry, we ask for a table for two so we can avoid having to wait for others to finish courses we did not order.

In August I'm doing the last 7days of a med cruise that is also sold as a 28, 21, or 14 day cruise, so for many people my embarkation day will be a port day. Will this change the availability of lunch in the MDR for us?

4 day cruise from San Pedro in February - we had embarkation lunch in the mdr BUT could not get a drink!!!First time that has happened. Had to wait until after lunch to get my Groltz. I recovered quickly from the shock

Good to see the actual menu.

Interesting that the Apple Tart[sic] Tartin is spelt wrongly, but also is to be served with a 'dollop' of whipping cream? Dollop is a word that should never appear on a menu, unless the chef has a great sense of homour!

Good to see the actual menu.

Interesting that the Apple Tart[sic] Tartin is spelt wrongly, but also is to be served with a 'dollop' of whipping cream? Dollop is a word that should never appear on a menu, unless the chef has a great sense of homour!

I think they will understand what you are ordering if you ask for it. :eek:

ColoCruiser - yes I'm sure I will get what I ask for. And I guess a 'dollop' is not a deal breaker.

But call me old fashioned - and I'm sure you might want to - but the correct spelling is tarte with an e. As my English [or in this case French] teacher taught me, there are only two ways to spell - the correct way and the wrong way.

Sorry - getting a bit serious - a tart is a tart, unless it is French tartE tartin!

In August I'm doing the last 7days of a med cruise that is also sold as a 28, 21, or 14 day cruise, so for many people my embarkation day will be a port day. Will this change the availability of lunch in the MDR for us?

No. On turnaround day both new and B2B passengers can eat lunch in the MDR if desired during the time it is open.

No its just another lunch day in the DR but quieter. :)

Just for anyone's info,

On our last cruise in April out of San Pedro, 10 day cruise on the Golden, we did board way late due to( they said Coast Guard inspection) They finally starting boarding around 1:20PM. We were in the 1st group to board & we thought we missed the MDR lunch.:( It is my favorite meal on the cruise. But in the elevator one of the cruisers said she was told the MDR would be open late due to us boarding so late. We tried it & was really surprised that they let us in. We probably got to the MDR @ around 1:45PM. Many people came in way after us & were able to get in. So it goes to show that if you board late due to it being Princess's fault try anyway.

Just my little tip of the day.

Thanks to all of our troops that fought for our freedom

We were on this cruise! Thank you for this information!!

Were the 2nd group to board( dad's in a wheelchair) . We just assumed the dining room would not be open. It's nice to know they might extend the hours due to later than usual boarding times.

Glad you got your MDR embarkation lunch! :) I love the avocado appetizer and the salmon. Oh well, hopefully next time.

We were on this cruise! Thank you for this information!!

Were the 2nd group to board( dad's in a wheelchair) . We just assumed the dining room would not be open. It's nice to know they might extend the hours due to later than usual boarding times.

Glad you got your MDR embarkation lunch! :) I love the avocado appetizer and the salmon. Oh well, hopefully next time.

That's good to know. :)

Can I just check if I have things correct, on embarkation there is lunch in the buffet, MDR and Alfredo's (Royal Princess) and snacks in the IC? If cabins are ready when we board I assume there is an option of taking some food back from the buffet to the cabin? What is lunch usually consist of in the MDR on embarkation day?

It is just my daughter and I on this cruise so I am expecting not to eat in the MDR many evenings as she will prboably prefer the buffet option. I may get her in there for lunch though on embarkation day, lol.

Can I just check if I have things correct, on embarkation there is lunch in the buffet, MDR and Alfredo's (Royal Princess) and snacks in the IC? If cabins are ready when we board I assume there is an option of taking some food back from the buffet to the cabin? What is lunch usually consist of in the MDR on embarkation day?

It is just my daughter and I on this cruise so I am expecting not to eat in the MDR many evenings as she will prboably prefer the buffet option. I may get her in there for lunch though on embarkation day, lol.

There is a recent thread (within the last few days) where someone just posted a picture of the embarkation day menu. ;)

I would recommend still eating in the Main Dining Room in the evening. They have a children's menu in the evening and children can mix and match from both menus. Oliver and Emily both love the food in the main dining room in the evening so I'm sure your daughter will be fine. Don't forget to go to afternoon tea too!! ;)

The International cafe is a great venue with complementary bites which change throughout the day. At breakfast there will be pastries, at lunch salads and rolls not to mention the mini desserts which are delicious!

Edited by Jo and Rob