Dry Dock Refit Details

cruiseduchess

I have it on good authority that part of the planned refit for both ships is a remodelling/new philosophy of the outside dining experience.

The plans include refurbishment of the Windows Cafe Outdoor space to change it to an "oriental speciality restaurant" for dinner, with a cover charge. (It will still be open normally for breakfast and lunch).

We are disappointed with this proposal as we love to have dinner here as often as possible (weather permitting) and on some of our cruises have not once ventured into the MDR. There is nothing quite like enjoying dinner on a warm evening overlooking the stern of the ship, and we often sit out there with our friends until closing time.

They are also refurbishing the Pool Grill to make it "smarter" and it will be open for dinner. But the location, in my opinion, is nowhere near as good as the back of the ship, as it is enclosed.

We are emailing Azamara directly to air our concerns, as there is still time for them to change the plan. Anyone else who enjoys the ambiance of the rear deck in the evening could also email them as the more correspondence, the better.

I agree. One of the glories of the R-ships is the outdoor area of the buffet for an occasional dinner in warm waters. While we wouldn't have dinner there most nights, we do it often enough as an alternative to an indoor sit-down dinner that we really appreciate the opportunity for a change. To turn it into an additional-charge specialty restaurant every night would take away one of the most enjoyable aspects of cruising Azamara.

If that is, in fact, part of the dry dock plan, I'm glad Quest's dry dock has been postponed until after our two October 2015 cruises.

Edited by marinaro44

I'm sure we would not be the only ones who are delighted to have an Asinan restaurant. This would add some variety to the mostly American menus we have seen..Greatly looking forward to trying it where ever they place it on the ship.

I'm sure we would not be the only ones who are delighted to have an Asinan restaurant. This would add some variety to the mostly American menus we have seen..Greatly looking forward to trying it where ever they place it on the ship.

Ditto.

As Azamarajoel wrote yesterday "the details of the ship upgrades will start to be communicated on June 2 and continue periodically throughout the end of the year. There are many new and exciting enhancements taking place."

I'd say no need to speculate. You'll know the facts next week.

Hi Everyone,

I agree with Bonnie and the last few posts. Hopefully, at least some of the details of the upcoming Drydocks for Journey & Quest will be known next week. I'm in favor of the idea of another Specialty dining venue, as long as there will be a suitable replacement, for those who prefer an alternative/buffet style experience for Dinner.

Along with our Azamara fans, I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing what's ahead.

I am definitely looking forward to the news from AZ next week as I shall be on Quest on the second cruise after the dry dock next year :)

I guess I would be a little disappointed if the rear terrace is not available in the evening for Windows Cafe diners, but an Asian specialty restaurant does sound good too and I will have plenty of OBC to use up!!

If this does happen my hope would be that AZ doesn't close off this area too early so that late afternoons/early evenings can still be enjoyed on the terrace.

I have it on good authority that part of the planned refit for both ships is a remodelling/new philosophy of the outside dining experience.

The plans include refurbishment of the Windows Cafe Outdoor space to change it to an "oriental speciality restaurant" for dinner, with a cover charge. (It will still be open normally for breakfast and lunch).

We are disappointed with this proposal as we love to have dinner here as often as possible (weather permitting) and on some of our cruises have not once ventured into the MDR. There is nothing quite like enjoying dinner on a warm evening overlooking the stern of the ship, and we often sit out there with our friends until closing time.

They are also refurbishing the Pool Grill to make it "smarter" and it will be open for dinner. But the location, in my opinion, is nowhere near as good as the back of the ship, as it is enclosed.

We are emailing Azamara directly to air our concerns, as there is still time for them to change the plan. Anyone else who enjoys the ambiance of the rear deck in the evening could also email them as the more correspondence, the better.

We too hope this isn't true. We tend to eat outside at Windows for at least half or more of the cruise and love the already fabulous alternative themed evenings. Please if this is the case rethink this option carefully

Dining outside on the terrace of Windows Cafe is for us one of the highlights of an Azamara cruise. Even on the evenings we choose to eat in the MDR we usually have a drink at the terrace bar first. So please don't change this area.

Dining outside on the terrace of Windows Cafe is for us one of the highlights of an Azamara cruise. Even on the evenings we choose to eat in the MDR we usually have a drink at the terrace bar first. So please don't change this area.

Agree 100%!

I can't believe how negatively this thought is affecting me:( I hope it is only a rumor!)That is one of the places we look forward to spending time at every day on our upcoming cruise(just after refit)! On our last cruise we had late afternoon tea and wine, with appetizers, there every day. Also had several sunset dinners there with the breeze adding to our enjoyment.(I'm assuming we can still have sunrise breakfasts there) I can not think of another place on that ship where the same view and outside atmosphere can be enjoyed every evening with dinner! We would never book any alternative dining venue(ie Asian) every night for the same food. With Windows the choices change, so you could go there many times. If this rumor is true, we will be so very disappointed! I will see what comes out this week, then also send an email to Azamara if it is, and hope they will reconsider the location for another restaurant.

will

And me! I'll be very disappointed if we can't sit outside in this lovely location in the evenings.

Me too, I hope this is just a rumour and Azamara realise how much this area is valued by all of us!

Today is the 2nd June and according to Azamara Joel on the other dry dock thread we should start hearing some news. I remain open minded until more details are revealed.

All, the details of the ship upgrades will start to be communicated on June 2 and continue periodically throughout the end of the year. There are many new and exciting enhancements taking place, we know all of you, our most loyal fans are going to love them. You will essentially have two new ships in 2016 that will continue to take you to the most destination immersive places around the world, celebrated by the best crew at sea.

We are very excited to start sharing the details of the program with you next week.

Thank you for your continued support of Azamara.

Please keep an eye out for our communication on Reimagining Azamara.

Phil

Thanks for the link. It does indeed look very impressive. The new cabin decor looks great. I don't object to the Asian restaurant area idea in place of the current Sunset Bar, but it's disappointing that the bar size has been increased to the detriment of even more limited seating. Will watch for developments.

Phil

Sorry but I for one am totally unimpressed! Maybe I am reading it wrong and stand to be corrected but it would appear to me that all of the current outside eating area by the sunset bar will be unavailable to guests on an evening unless they are dining in the new " speciality" restaurant. We currently eat there about75% of our cruise. The alternative by the grill is basically indoors and does not offer the same experience as the Sunset area. Deeply disappointed with this if that's the case. I was very sorry that the planned dry dock had been postponed until April as we are on the Quest B2B 4 weeks Feb 2016. Now I am relieved !

I feel so strongly that this will probably be our final Azamara cruise

Vicki