Dry Dock Refit Details

cruiseduchess

The great feature of this board is the knowledge one acquires. For example, I had no idea that the Sunset Bar has been so popular for dinners. I hope that the new restaurant is found to be a suitable replacement. I'm certain many will be looking forward to that experience.

There has been concern expressed that the present Sunset Bar area may not be available prior to dinner time. It's probably already been mentioned, but I think the relevant announcement on this issue is not definitive enough to determine if that is the case. Certainly opinions expressed here are universal that, if unavailable, that area would be sorely missed.

Although difficult to assess from artist renderings, the overall impression is extremely positive to us and exciting.

These renovations may also, for a while, put an end to periodic discussions on this board as to whether RCI is making a commitment to Azamara.

My congratulations to Larry P. and his staff for continuing to create a new vision.

Edited by nordski

I think the plans are terrific! Love the new decor and especially the makeover of the bathrooms. It seems to me that AZ is repurposing under used spaces on the ship - for example adding a new card room in Looking Glass (impossible to play bridge during Trivia Quiz), enhancing the pool grill and re-branding it as the Chef's Grill, and adding a tapas bar in Looking Glass.

As for the new Asian restaurant, we will see. It looks great, however, this area was a favourite of mine for breakfast and lunch. And, I enjoyed sitting there during the day, especially on our recent Antarctic cruise, it was my go-to place for watching birds and whales. I hope we will still have day-time access to the space.

We frequently ate dinner at the Windows buffet. It was our preferred venue on days when we had been ashore and were too tired for a 3 course dinner in the MDR. With the exception of the Indian Buffet evening, the space was never full or even close to being full and we rarely saw anyone sitting outside in the evening. So I can understand AZ wanting to re-vitalize this area. Perhaps AZ can provide bar service in the evening to the upper decks for those that want to sit outside?

I like the idea of the re-vamped Chef's Grill being open for dinner and the new Tapas Bar in the Looking Glass. This will give us several more options for dining.

Looking forward to sailing with AZ in 2016!

I think the plans are terrific! Love the new decor and especially the makeover of the bathrooms. It seems to me that AZ is repurposing under used spaces on the ship - for example adding a new card room in Looking Glass (impossible to play bridge during Trivia Quiz), enhancing the pool grill and re-branding it as the Chef's Grill, and adding a tapas bar in Looking Glass.

As for the new Asian restaurant, we will see. It looks great, however, this area was a favourite of mine for breakfast and lunch. And, I enjoyed sitting there during the day, especially on our recent Antarctic cruise, it was my go-to place for watching birds and whales. I hope we will still have day-time access to the space.

We frequently ate dinner at the Windows buffet. It was our preferred venue on days when we had been ashore and were too tired for a 3 course dinner in the MDR. With the exception of the Indian Buffet evening, the space was never full or even close to being full and we rarely saw anyone sitting outside in the evening. So I can understand AZ wanting to re-vitalize this area. Perhaps AZ can provide bar service in the evening to the upper decks for those that want to sit outside?

I like the idea of the re-vamped Chef's Grill being open for dinner and the new Tapas Bar in the Looking Glass. This will give us several more options for dining.

Looking forward to sailing with AZ in 2016!

Contrary to your observations , on our recent cruise from Dubai to Istanbul the outside space at Sunset bar was frequently quite busy for evening diners. This is a very attractive option for warmer cruise climates. There is nothing like watching the wake of the ship with a glass or two and some varied alternative menus. As I mentioned previously we used this option at least75% of the cruise and we were not alone. If this area is also lost for the rest of the day it's ludicrous . Sorry but that's how strongly I feel.

Personally, I am disappointed. :( I loved the traditional elegance of Azamara. I don't care for the contemporary modern look at all.

I too am very disappointed with the addition of the new Asian restaurant and the taking away of the wonderful area at the Sunset Bar that we enjoyed so many times.

I'm another one that wonders what's going on with the carpeting....it does look as though someone spilled a big glob of something on it.

I'm with you. Prior to the formal announcement I had it in mind that the size of the Sunset Bar would be reduced a little and the fixed wooden stools removed to create a bit more table seating. It looks like the opposite will happen and worse still the Sunset Veranda will now be a restricted area. I've had some of my most memorable cruise views from there.:(

Phil

I've had some of my most memorable views and moments of my life there. Which makes this upgrade not just annoying, but down right sad. Play is Again, Sam. Leave the Sunset bar open.

I am so pleased that we have cruised with Azamara several times since 2012. I am so pleased that we have had the opportunity to use the Sunset Bar for breakfast, lunch and dinner on many, many occasions, including a Panama Canal transit and up river to Seville. It appears that we won't be able to enjoy one of the best places on either of the ships soon, as it will be an 'out of bounds' area other than in the evening, and then it will be a chargeable venue. Making the Pool Grill bigger and better is not a replacement.

This is not progress, it just a means of increasing revenue.

Sorry Azamara but I feel that you are making a mistake with this one.

Peter

I love the new look of the cabins, but like others I am not impressed by the carpets. It does look like something has been spilled on it. Please get rid of the shower curtain though. Bi folding shower doors are so much better.

As for the new Asian speciality restaurant, I'm not keen on Pan Asian food, so I probably won't be visiting Kibo. I do love the curry nights at Windows though.

I do think it's a mistake to use the Sunset Bar for this new venue. We love this area for lunch and dinner in the Med sunshine and would be very sad to lose it. Could not one side of the Windows cafe be used at nighttime for Kibo? This concept happens on lots of ships. The tapas bar is a great idea though, and like many others I am pleased by the investment that RCI is making in Azamara. Now we just need a new ship of about 800 to a max of a 1000 passengers. Everyone else can book that, which will leave me plenty of options on my beloved Quest! :D Just joking!

Are you all sure about this? In all the press releases I have seen/read I didn't see that actually said...did I miss something? I guess I my have ASSUMED that the area would be open to all EXCEPT for the Asian restaurant at night...no??? If that is so...then AZ is really not using that space well IMO. Loved eating out there...all 3 meals...and also having an afternoon drink and visiting with fellow CCers out there!! Boo Hoo!! If it is closed except at dinner time...I am very, very sad!! :( LuAnn

We have eaten EVERY dinner ouside on our last few hot weather Azamara cruises, and are relieved that we will be able to do so again in October! Please leave the Sunset Bar as it is. Happy with all the other upgrades though, and looking forward to experiencing them on the Southampton to Montreal next year (when it probably wouldn't be warm enough to eat outside anyway).

Sue

Hi Phil,

I've been trying to figure that out as well. It seems clear that the indoor part of Windows Cafe will remain open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I agree with you, that it's murky on what will happen with the outdoor area during the morning and afternoon. Would be great if it were made available - but that may prove to be difficult.

I can't see why it would be difficult. Cunard sections off part of the main buffet restaurant in the evenings for a separate restaurant.

Also, someone suggested that the Windows outdoor area could become an Asian restaurant for only a few nights a week, which seems a good compromise if it really does have to happen.

I am pleased to learn that the cabins are to be completely refitted and modernised - this is long overdue.

However, the proposed changes to the Windows Café is a BIG mistake. Azamara ships are too small for three speciality chargeable restaurants, particularly when this means there will be no outdoor space for dinner which at present is loved and enjoyed by many frequent cruisers. The present bar should be moved inside (relocated to where the smoothie bar is now) and this space filled with extra tables. If it has been decided that more opportunities for speciality dining is required, Prime C and Aqualina should be altered - smaller tables thus providing more cover charges and menu changes incorporating Asian food - this already happens in Aqualina with Italian food.

I am very disappointed with this proposal as one of the highlights of cruising with Azamara are the excellent themed buffet dinners dining 'al fresco' at no extra charge. I hope Azamara will reconsider and live up to the quote "You spoke ...... We listened"!

One more question ...... What will happen to afternoon tea?

I do think it's a mistake to use the Sunset Bar for this new venue. We love this area for lunch and dinner in the Med sunshine and would be very sad to lose it. Could not one side of the Windows cafe be used at nighttime for Kibo? This concept happens on lots of ships.

This is a great idea, to use half Windows Café for Kibo....The other half and outside area could be used for the evening buffet.....RCI do this successfully in other ships like the Italian in the Windjammer.

John

We are all reacting to limited information in press releases and not firm information released by Azamara on it's web site, overall the information we do have seems to have been very well received with the exception of the potential restriction of access to the Sunset Bar area, and I am sure all of our comments are being keenly scrutinised by Azamara.

The addition of an Asian restaurant to us is an excellent idea but accept that others won't agree as tastes in food are very personal. As for the Sunset bar area we rarely would eat dinner or breakfast there but it is our preferred lunch venue, weather permitting of course, that said we do enjoy a pre-dinner drink there occasionally. What I do struggle with is the concept of an outdoor speciality restaurant, what would happen if you book in advance but come the day it's too cold, wet or windy? I really don't want to sit wrapped up in blankets or have to wearing a coat to eat my meal.

While I look forward to the release of concrete information in the coming months, I look forward even more to boarding Azamara Journey on the 27th January 2016 in Miami and seeing the finished article.

Are you all sure about this? In all the press releases I have seen/read I didn't see that actually said...did I miss something? I guess I my have ASSUMED that the area would be open to all EXCEPT for the Asian restaurant at night...no??? If that is so...then AZ is really not using that space well IMO. Loved eating out there...all 3 meals...and also having an afternoon drink and visiting with fellow CCers out there!! Boo Hoo!! If it is closed except at dinner time...I am very, very sad!! :( LuAnn

No one can be 100% sure at this stage, but people are coming to this conclusion based on Larry Pimental's comments about dining in the Cruise Critic article, quoted below. The highlighting is mine, being the relevant sentence:

"Dining. The biggest change to dining will the addition of a new Asian specialty restaurant, Kibo, on the aft of Deck 9. The a la carte restaurant, open only for dinner, will be located in the outdoor space that's currently part of Windows Café. It will serve dishes from Japan, Vietnam, Thailand and Korea, accompanied by high-end sakes and other localized drinks, Pimentel said. He noted that the indoor portion of Windows will remain open for breakfast, lunch and dinner."

We know Larry is reading these boards, so we hope he will take on board the feedback.

I note Larry says "INDOOR" portion will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

He did NOT say that the outdoor portion would also be open until 5.00pm so it sounds like it will be used exclusively as an Asian restaurant only.

This will create immense pressure on indoors area as you will be removing approx 100 diners i.e. 50 by 2 servings at breakfast and lunches.

Aqualina now has two menus which I assume alternate throughout the cruise. Why not do the same for the steak house, alternating the current menu with an Asian one. Alternatively close off one side of Windows in the evening for Kibo leaving the other side and the sunset bar available to all.

As others have pointed out, an enlarged Salon/Spa and a new cover charge restaurant are all about increasing revenue, which from a business point of view is a must, but I would rather they scrap the Azamazing evenings and keep the sunset bar as it is.

Aqualina now has two menus which I assume alternate throughout the cruise. Why not do the same for the steak house, alternating the current menu with an Asian one. Alternatively close off one side of Windows in the evening for Kibo leaving the other side and the sunset bar available to all.

As others have pointed out, an enlarged Salon/Spa and a new cover charge restaurant are all about increasing revenue, which from a business point of view is a must, but I would rather they scrap the Azamazing evenings and keep the sunset bar as it is.

Brilliant suggestion, let's hope Larry agrees, scrapping the Azamazing evenings would not bother us one jot, losing the Sunset Bar is a deal breaker for us.

The cabin upgrades are long, long overdue and the tapas sounds good, but there is nothing quite like sitting outside on a balmy evening with a glass of wine.

I really do think Azamara have got this totally wrong!

Edited by Lindy028

My original impression was that Sunset would remain open for breakfast and lunch, then sometime in the late afternoon be transformed into Kibo. As stated before, not happy about losing it for dinner, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

If it will no longer be open for breakfast and lunch as well, then as far as we are concerned - no more Azamara.

We are booked on the 12/1/16 sailing on the Quest for our 25th anniversary. While the refurb plans look great overall, taking away the sunset outdoor dining option in favor of the for pay Asian venue may be a deal killer for us.

On the surface complaining about one "small" issue compared to a shipwide refurb seems silly...and maybe it is. However, we enjoy dining outdoors in the evenings over a main dining room experience so much that we definitely will strongly consider other options if the information out there turns out to be fact.

Too bad...as stated prior, the rest of the refurb looks great. Hats off to Azamara for the ambitious plans. Hopefully they will reconsider the one issue so many seem to be unhappy about, or at the very least have a solid plan B for us Al Fresco Freaks.

It is interesting to read the general negative reaction to the proposed changes to the outdoor area of Windows, as one of the huge attractions to Azamara was to meet and become friends with the many and interesting passengers on board, and the outdoor area was the ideal space for convivial and relaxed evenings in a comfortable and casual dining environment. I will be sad to see it changed.

Comment has also been made dining privileges in relation to suite passengers, and again personally we travel in CC suites many times, but probably only use the speciality restaurants a couple of times on longer cruises and make much use of Windows as described above. We are not alone in that, and a couple of months ago on Quest in Asia very many suite passengers whom we know of old, were also of that behaviour.

Having cruised on Regent (but preferring the ambiance of Azamara), where all inclusive means just that, I am also baffled by the introduction of another at cost speciality restaurant at Azamara, when the "opposition" do not charge for speciality dining, and it seems that rather than upgrading their inclusive product Azamara are doing the opposite. This is particularly apposite to another thread where Mr Pimontel apparently is quoted in relation to a 70% rise in passenger fares over time, a very visible trend which if it continues will make Azamara not good value.

This being said by an Azamara stalwart who is looking forward to the other upgrades!!

I have spoken to many Azamara cruisers who do not use Cruise Critc and without exception they are all dismayed by the loss of the Sunset bar area for Al fresco dining. The evenings we have spent there enjoying the fantastic themed buffet have without doubt been the highlight of our cruise.

It's just unthinkable that this will no longer be an option

We love Azamara and took 4 cruises with them last year, and many more prior to that, and I can honestly say those many memorable evenings we spent either alone or with friends old and new outside at the Sunset bar were the driving force that lead us back.

It's time to stand up and say

PLEASE SAVE THE SUNSET BAR FOR ALL

I know it sounds ridiculous but I feel very passionately about this issue.

On a positive note the other changes and upgrades sound fantastic , but this is a major issue that is obviously affecting many Azamara fans

I know Azamara are monitoring these responses but it would be good to know that this particular issue is being revisited before it is too late.

My original impression was that Sunset would remain open for breakfast and lunch, then sometime in the late afternoon be transformed into Kibo. As stated before, not happy about losing it for dinner, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

If it will no longer be open for breakfast and lunch as well, then as far as we are concerned - no more Azamara.

It will definitely be open to all fro breakfast and lunch