Dry Dock Refit Details

cruiseduchess

Super idea!! :D

This seems to make a lot more sense!! Looking Glass seems to be a venue used for many different type of activities and I think the Tapas on the back deck would be very nice!! Please Azamara...don't close off the Sunset Bar to all of those who enjoy that area at all times of the day...and the evening as well!!! LuAnn

It depends on what you call a "significant percentage". Obviously some of the buffets are more popular than others, but from our experience I would estimate that somewhere between a quarter to a third of passengers would eat there on most nights. I know on some ships the evening buffet is not popular - on our last Celebrity cruise we went up to the buffet one evening and it was practically deserted. On Azamara it is very different!

That's definitely significant. I have only been on Carnival (when kids were little), Royal Caribbean, and Princess and the lion's share of people are in one of the main dining rooms with smaller percentages in specialty restaurants and buffets at dinner time.

Do more people use the buffets because of the later port times? If it's as good as all of you are saying, maybe I missed the boat on this one.

That's definitely significant. I have only been on Carnival (when kids were little), Royal Caribbean, and Princess and the lion's share of people are in one of the main dining rooms with smaller percentages in specialty restaurants and buffets at dinner time.

Do more people use the buffets because of the later port times? If it's as good as all of you are saying, maybe I missed the boat on this one.

I think the later port times are part of the appeal of the buffet, quite a few people have told us that when they come back to the ship after a long day it is nice to just be able to wander up to the Sunset Bar for a drink and a leisurely meal. The atmosphere and ambiance are also really good, largely because of the ability to go outside and also because there are plenty of people around. When you go to one of the Azamara buffets you will find a different choice of food every evening, a station for food cooked while you wait (varies between stir fries, pasta, seafood, paella etc), a carvery and plenty of other choices as well as sushi, salads and of course desserts and ice cream! With a different country theme every evening there really is something for everyone. We have sailed with HAL, RCL and Celebrity and never ate at the buffets on those ships. On Azamara we seldom eat anywhere else.

We booked a B2B a year ago that has turned out to be the 2 segments following the refit. After booking, we started reading more into AZ and the experience it had to offer. It started to worry us a little at the number of complaints regarding the condition of carpets, cabins and general tiredness of the ship. Passengers loyal to the line seem to be constantly grumbling about internet minutes, loyalty perks, laundry "this is our last AZ cruise" "never again" and the like. We thought that as we had such a good deal and the reputation of the ambience on board, we could ignore the negative comments.

Now when the announcement came about the refit, it seemed to us that all our worries were gone, and also the grumblers as AZ have virtually rebuilt the facilities, fixed everything that was wrong and added numerous more facilities to enhance the AZ experience. How excited are we now ?

The Sunset bar has immediately brought back the Nay Sayers and "its a deal breaker" "my last AZ cruise" etc. etc. We cruise to broaden our horizons, experience new places, cultures and food. There are those that are disappointed, which I can understand, but at the same time, should they not move on and broaden their outlook to new beginnings rather than the same old routine, after all, isn't this why we cruise ?. Where are the "deal breakers" going to go ? We did Nautica - the same ship as AZ - and although we had a wonderful experience, what AZ appears to be doing now will put Oceania way behind - will they go there just to have their wake bar?

The new restaurant for me embraces the cruise experience once again. I will have a choice of 4 more menus, rather than being stuck with Italian and steak house that every cruise line does. The larger tables are needed as Asian cuisine is best served when there are larger groups who are able to sample more of the menu and is designed for that purpose. A two top is impractical for alot of menu's - when in Rome..... My only hope for it, is that the meals are authentic to what they should be and not dumbed down for western tastes.

When things change, alot of this disappointment comes from familiarity. We have only cruised with the same line once, some very good, some not so, but we enjoyed them all so dont get disappointed. I certainly wouldn't decide on a cruise because of lack of a view of the wake. Ambience can be created anywhere with the right people.

I applaude AZ for these plans. Other cruise lines of this calibre dont come anywhere near what AZ are doing. We are now more excited than ever to join her. Change can be painful but it is innevitable, therefore embrace it.

We booked a B2B a year ago that has turned out to be the 2 segments following the refit. After booking, we started reading more into AZ and the experience it had to offer. It started to worry us a little at the number of complaints regarding the condition of carpets, cabins and general tiredness of the ship. Passengers loyal to the line seem to be constantly grumbling about internet minutes, loyalty perks, laundry "this is our last AZ cruise" "never again" and the like. We thought that as we had such a good deal and the reputation of the ambience on board, we could ignore the negative comments.

Now when the announcement came about the refit, it seemed to us that all our worries were gone, and also the grumblers as AZ have virtually rebuilt the facilities, fixed everything that was wrong and added numerous more facilities to enhance the AZ experience. How excited are we now ?

The Sunset bar has immediately brought back the Nay Sayers and "its a deal breaker" "my last AZ cruise" etc. etc. We cruise to broaden our horizons, experience new places, cultures and food. There are those that are disappointed, which I can understand, but at the same time, should they not move on and broaden their outlook to new beginnings rather than the same old routine, after all, isn't this why we cruise ?. Where are the "deal breakers" going to go ? We did Nautica - the same ship as AZ - and although we had a wonderful experience, what AZ appears to be doing now will put Oceania way behind - will they go there just to have their wake bar?

The new restaurant for me embraces the cruise experience once again. I will have a choice of 4 more menus, rather than being stuck with Italian and steak house that every cruise line does. The larger tables are needed as Asian cuisine is best served when there are larger groups who are able to sample more of the menu and is designed for that purpose. A two top is impractical for alot of menu's - when in Rome..... My only hope for it, is that the meals are authentic to what they should be and not dumbed down for western tastes.

When things change, alot of this disappointment comes from familiarity. We have only cruised with the same line once, some very good, some not so, but we enjoyed them all so dont get disappointed. I certainly wouldn't decide on a cruise because of lack of a view of the wake. Ambience can be created anywhere with the right people.

I applaude AZ for these plans. Other cruise lines of this calibre dont come anywhere near what AZ are doing. We are now more excited than ever to join her. Change can be painful but it is innevitable, therefore embrace it.

Lexdisic,

Many of the points expressed in your post are totally valid.

Personally I am not a fan of Asian cuisine so probably won't sample Kibo but have no problem that this is being offered by Azamara.

However the grumbles as you term them by frequent Azamara cruisers is because Kibo is being sited in the only location where you can have dinner or a drink outside in the evening. As a lover of cruising the Mediterranean it is lovely having a drink at the Sunset Bar on a warm balmy evening. But as you rightly say things change.

In an earlier post I said that for me this isn't a deal breaker. There are many more aspects of Azamara that I will continue to enjoy and overall the planned refurbishment looks wonderful.:)

I hope you enjoy your first Azamara cruise and become a fan of the line as most of us here are.

I just saw this article on the dry docks on the TravelPulse site:

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/azamara-details-major-upgrades-for-both-ships.html

Much the same information as we have seen before, but I noted the following:

"The dry docks will last for 14 days, but some work will continue for another six days after the ship returns to operation."

"An Asian fusion restaurant (pictured) will be added outside on Deck 9 and will feature eclectic cuisine from Thailand, Vietnam, Japan and Korea with a la carte pricing."

"The new Pool Grill and Bar Pool Grill concept will replace Sunset Bar, the current included casual outdoor dining option on Deck 9."

"In the evening, the Chef’s Grill will become a no-charge, casual open-air dining option with a water fountain and a screen for movies."

The second point confirms the pricing model for the Asian restaurant, and the third Azamara's intention regarding the Sunset Bar.

I join those the mourn the loss of the outdoor dining area of Windows during the evening. It's one of my favourite places.

Larry P, it's not often you get in wrong, but please rethink this one [and while you are at it, you might also like to think about stopping the tacky art auctions !]

I will have my first Azamara cruise after this refit, so I will not have experienced what you seasoned cruisers love so much. But I am another one who isn't wild about Asian food, so I'm sad that I won't get to eat at a buffet in that area.

I love Asian food but I still think closing the outside cafe in the evenings is a huge mistake. I really enjoy sitting out there and enjoying the views with dinner.

I'm f they combined the steak and Italian restaurant they could keep the pay restaurants together and add the Asian fusion restaurant up there.

I like the inclusive feel of Azamara and wouldn't appreciate the rise in pay for services as many of the other cruise companies seem to be doing right now.

I agree art auctions are a waste of space and time I never have purchased anything from them.

We took several cool weather cruises on the Journey last year and on sea days were unable to find warm and quiet public space .

Mosaic Cafe was over crowded and the Looking Glass was being used for the art auction, the pool area was windy and cold.

Has any consideration been given to moving the art auction (if this has to continue) to the Cabaret Lounge .

If some modifications of the Cabaret Lounge were needed could this be considered as part of the refit

Simply get rid of the art auction. I am sure that it's not wanted by the majority, nor does it fit with "destination emersion". Surely Larry and the executive understand that. All they have to do is admit that. It has had its time, move on. Darryl

I use the library a lot, but just to go and get a book. I see no reason why the books can't be moved to Looking Glass - the space as you enter the port side door would be ideal [but of course where would they put all those lovely pictures for the art auction?]

That would leave all the pay dining venues in one area.

I don't see the pool bar area as being anywhere near an adequate replacement for the Sunset Bar. Larry P, please listen to your customers: as far as I can see there's no objection to introducing Asian Fusion [whatever that is, but it's not for me], but the loss of the Sunset Bar in the evenings is going to cause grief and furthermore it looks from the artists impression that the seating area will be reduced, and it's already hard to find a breakfast/lunch seat there.

I'm afraid the loss of the Sunset Bar will be a deal breaker for me.

Perhaps the art auctions could be re-located to the US administrative offices; where they might be more fully appreciated by Azamara people. A welcome piece of art on the ships may be a beautifully carved harp; which could be located outside the main dining room. Because of the cabin space freed up by the art people, perhaps a talented and genial harpist (perhaps such people exist amongst the Azamara alumni) could be employed to fill the vacant cabin in each ship, to fully realize the artistic potential otherwise buried in said harps.

Just saying.

Tony

I use the library a lot, but just to go and get a book. I see no reason why the books can't be moved to Looking Glass - the space as you enter the port side door would be ideal [but of course where would they put all those lovely pictures for the art auction?]

That would leave all the pay dining venues in one area.

I don't see the pool bar area as being anywhere near an adequate replacement for the Sunset Bar. Larry P, please listen to your customers: as far as I can see there's no objection to introducing Asian Fusion [whatever that is, but it's not for me], but the loss of the Sunset Bar in the evenings is going to cause grief and furthermore it looks from the artists impression that the seating area will be reduced, and it's already hard to find a breakfast/lunch seat there.

I'm afraid the loss of the Sunset Bar will be a deal breaker for me.

I agree with all your comments re the Sunset bar

I love Asian food, but we are sailing Quest to Asia, so I think I'll get plenty while on land.:D Perhaps Kibo is going to run along the lines of RCI's Izumi, which offers sushi, hot rock dishes (because we all want to cook our own dinners on vacation:rolleyes:) and assorted other dishes. It's a very good restaurant (plenty to order besides the hot rock) but I've never seen it crowded. Perhaps the Azamara demographic is more inclined to try Asian cuisine, but I'd be surprised.

Life being full of tradeoffs, we'll have the final cruise on Quest before drydock, but presumably will have full use of the Sunset Bar for the entire cruise.

My vote is to leave the library alone with a few updates. It's a lovely room. A quiet haven and the coolest (temperature) place on the ship. It gets used for a number of evening events too.

Phil

I totally agree.

Pat

I love Asian food, but we are sailing Quest to Asia, so I think I'll get plenty while on land.:D Perhaps Kibo is going to run along the lines of RCI's Izumi, which offers sushi, hot rock dishes (because we all want to cook our own dinners on vacation:rolleyes:) and assorted other dishes. It's a very good restaurant (plenty to order besides the hot rock) but I've never seen it crowded. Perhaps the Azamara demographic is more inclined to try Asian cuisine, but I'd be surprised.

Just disembarked a mass-market cruise ship that has had an extra-fee Asian restaurant for a dozen or so years. There were always few people in the restaurant. This year they changed it to a no-charge restaurant, and it now attracts a reasonable crowd. The reasoning behind the change was to reduce the waits at the main dining rooms, and apparently it worked.

Perhaps the art auctions could be re-located to the US administrative offices; where they might be more fully appreciated by Azamara people. A welcome piece of art on the ships may be a beautifully carved harp; which could be located outside the main dining room. Because of the cabin space freed up by the art people, perhaps a talented and genial harpist (perhaps such people exist amongst the Azamara alumni) could be employed to fill the vacant cabin in each ship, to fully realize the artistic potential otherwise buried in said harps.

Just saying.

Tony

I'm an oboist by trade, I'll play for a free cruise! Not quite the same as a harp, sadly.... :)

Re the art auctions, I imagine Azamara, or more likely RCCL, has a long contract for this, so perhaps no easy to make them walk the plank :(

I remember they went from Azamara and have come back. I don't get it all, but it's obviously worthwhile them doing it. Even if they sell a couple of, in my eyes at least, hideous paintings at the prices they ask perhaps they cover the cost. I have never seen anyone actually buying a painting, but then avoid those art auctions like the plague. Perhaps I should go to one and see what all the fuss is about. There is a lot of work involving the crew moving all those pictures around the ship, that's for sure!

To me Park West has never sat comfortably as a concept on Azamara. It shouts larger mass market ships rather than a small ship "destination immersion" line. I think it looks is tacky and invasive when they use public spaces to display them, but then as I say I just try to avoid it. I suspect we are stuck with them.

Phil