Culinary Class question please from a newbie

kazu

Cruised lots but this is our first Oceania cruise.

The Culinary classes are now open to book and I was a bit surprised at the price of $69 per person.

I am sure there is a good reason for this and, despite searching I haven't found too much information.

Would someone please be kind enough to talk a bit about the culinary classes and if they are worth it? I know you get to taste it at the end. Is that the big draw? The other lines I have cruised on did not have a price this high so I am trying to determine the difference (or is it just because it is Oceania?)

I see one that seems interesting but I would really like some insight before I book DH and I for one.

Thanks so much:)

The class is hands on, each two people has a work station with sink and cook top. There is the chef who teaches the course and sue chefs who go around and help you. When you get there all the food needed to cool the dishes for that class is there at your station. Class was around 90 min for us and we cooked 3 or 4 things and you get to eat what you cook. Was fun and learned a great way to cook fish. On Oceania things that are extra tend to cost a lot. I think I know you from HAL, have a great trip.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

The kitchen, work areas and equipment are amazing. I believe the cost to build it was $5M. IMO, the classes are definitely worth the money. Our favorite class was pasta making. While we had seen pasta made with the Kitchen Aid attachments, actually using one made a big difference.

The kitchen, work areas and equipment are amazing. I believe the cost to build it was $5M. IMO, the classes are definitely worth the money. Our favorite class was pasta making. While we had seen pasta made with the Kitchen Aid attachments, actually using one made a big difference.

We loved the pasta making class. Have yet to invest in the kitchen aid attachment as we are so afraid that all we will eat is pasta. Even DH had fun with this class. Yes, I think it was worth the $$.

They are not demonstrations by any means... they are hands-on.

The classes are definitely worth it...with the right "chef" (instructor)....who will do all of them for your cruise.

One cruise, we took as many as were to our liking, and it was a great experience.

On another, we booked three of them in advance and cancelled the rest after the first one...it was a clunker of an experience.

By and large...try at least one early in the cruise. As has been said, the facility is gorgeous and has the potential for a super activity.

I have taken three of them over 2 cruises on Oceania.

Pasta, French Bistro and Canyon Ranch.

I have taken many many cooking classes and rarely come home to make the dishes I've learned in classes. EXCEPT the Pasta, Frensh Bistro and Canyon Ranch. Actually, I have been home two weeks from the Canyon Ranch class and made ALL the recipes from class. And a few multiple times. I have made the pasta at home (Actually went and purchased the Kitchenaid Pasta attachments and use them!) several times. Usually if I am having friends over because it's really fun to watch and participate.

I've had both Chef Kelly and Melanie and enjoyed the lessons from them both immensely.

If you have an afternoon class, my suggestion is to make sure you don't have reservations at one of the specialty restaurants because you won't be hungry.

On our last cruise, I took 3 classes and really liked 2 of them - Sicilian Cooking and Rock the Wok. I came home and made the Miso glazed salmon and it was excellent if I do say so myself[emoji4].

For me, they were definitely worth the cost. I also learned some basic cooking skills even though I have been cooking for lots of years!

One thing to note- On my recent cruise the classes all filled up on line quickly and there was a wait list by the time we started the cruise.

WOW! Thanks so much everyone :)

Really appreciate the info and the tips.

OK, I'm sold :D

I do enjoy cooking and always like to learn new things.

Thanks again very much :)

I am really glad I asked.

So one couple has one work station? I have been thinking of suprising my becoming husband on our honeymoon cruise but I'm a bit worried about the difficulty level. He is very used to cooking and I am not. Do you think both can enjoy culinary class?

So one couple has one work station? I have been thinking of suprising my becoming husband on our honeymoon cruise but I'm a bit worried about the difficulty level. He is very used to cooking and I am not. Do you think both can enjoy culinary class?

Yes, it is one couple per workstation, and much of the prep work (think peeling vegetables)is done in advance by the Culinary staff.

The classes move briskly, but no so fast that one person from each couple could not handle doing most of the work.

183046.jpg

Yes, its not a problem. There is a sue chef that goes around to help. Its all in fun, if you spoil it they will bring more stuff to do again. Ours ended up with wine and time to talk to the chef and of course to buy his book and such. Go and do it, it will be fun. Its not the CIA

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

well, I was totally convinced and looking at the classes, ready to book several.

After all, as someone mentioned if things aren't good you can cancel and I suspect they fill up quickly, BUT.....

DH has no interest in doing this:eek: I am very surprised. So, it's just me:eek:

Is that going to be an issue? I'm hoping to lure my friend but our cooking interests might not be the same.

thanks again - you are all the best - so helpful with newbie questions.

Oceania was as well with my La Privee question. Very, very nice:)

As a quick recap, please don't think of these classes as something out of the Culinary Institute of America. They are primarily entertaining and a fun way to fill some time, with a little information thrown in for good measure.

Do book a Class in order to to have a different, out of the ordinary experience with a fun, jovial group of people; don't book thinking that you will have time to learn serious technique.

As a quick recap, please don't think of these classes as something out of the Culinary Institute of America. They are primarily entertaining and a fun way to fill some time, with a little information thrown in for good measure.

Do book a Class in order to to have a different, out of the ordinary experience with a fun, jovial group of people; don't book thinking that you will have time to learn serious technique.

thanks, I think I will still learn something :) and I like to have fun.

But if it's geared to couples and DH doesn't want to go?

is a single ok?

thanks, I think I will still learn something :) and I like to have fun.

But if it's geared to couples and DH doesn't want to go?

is a single ok?

They don't have a mandate that every station be assigned to a couple, but the classes are so popular that if you go as a single, you would definately run the risk of being asked to be a third with another couple, rather than getting a station to yourself.

There is very little organization of the group before the actual cooking begins, so if you do walk in solo, you'll probably be asked about how willing you are to share in front of the whole class.

They don't have a mandate that every station be assigned to a couple, but the classes are so popular that if you go as a single, you would definately run the risk of being asked to be a third with another couple, rather than getting a station to yourself.

There is very little organization of the group before the actual cooking begins, so if you do walk in solo, you'll probably be asked about how willing you are to share in front of the whole class.

interesting, I thought the classes were limited to x number of people.

I don't mind sharing but I don't want to be the "odd man out". And I am sure the couple may not be keen to have me join them.

I guess I better make sure that my friend wants to go then.

then we can be a couple.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by kazu

I would think it unlikely you will be a third wheel

They have so many stations ...2 people at each station so you will be paired up with another solo participant or you will be cooking alone ;)

well, I was totally convinced and looking at the classes, ready to book several.

After all, as someone mentioned if things aren't good you can cancel and I suspect they fill up quickly, BUT.....

DH has no interest in doing this:eek: I am very surprised. So, it's just me:eek:

Is that going to be an issue? I'm hoping to lure my friend but our cooking interests might not be the same.

thanks again - you are all the best - so helpful with newbie questions.

Oceania was as well with my La Privee question. Very, very nice:)

My DH was very hesitant about doing this and it turned out he really enjoyed it. Don't worry about doing this on your own. They will pair you up with another single or you perhaps get the station all to yourself. I really can't see 3 at a station but I usually do not question Jim/Stan (I said usually):D

Just do it!!!!

I've booked three of these classes but had to cancel all of them for various reasons. HOWEVER, I booked as a solo participant (my husband prefers that I do the cooking and wouldn't be interested in such an activity). I never worried that I'd be locked out because I wasn't part of a team!

They do have waiting lists so if you are interested you should book ahead of time if possible ... I cannot imagine that they would put three people at a station intended for two!

Mura

They do have waiting lists so if you are interested you should book ahead of time if possible ... I cannot imagine that they would put three people at a station intended for two!

Interesting, as I see it more as giving two further people the chance to attend a very popular class.

If there is a Waiting List, then of course the Moderators will combine singles to make the most of the available Stations and Equipment.

Quick question: Are you all saying that Singletons who show up "on the day" be turned away if all of the Stations are already spoken for?

Or, should they poll the room to see which couples might enjoy having company?

Interesting, as I see it more as giving two further people the chance to attend a very popular class.

If there is a Waiting List, then of course the Moderators will combine singles to make the most of the available Stations and Equipment.

Quick question: Are you all saying that Singletons who show up "on the day" be turned away if all of the Stations are already spoken for?

Or, should they poll the room to see which couples might enjoy having company?

Question

if they have 18 stations would they not sell just 36 spots for the class ? or would they overbook hoping some will be no shows??

I suspect when the 36 spots are paid for they close the booking & take a wait list in case someone should cancel

In la Reserve do they take singletons as you put it if they turn up on the night & squeeze them on a fully booked table ??

Walk away from the martini NOW:D

Edited by LHT28

Sadly, I'm still cocktail free, but since you didn't like my question, I'll phrase it differently:

If the Culinary Center has 17 Couples apply for a class, and then a single person and a couple apply for the 18th slot at the same time, is it fair to give that last Station to a single person?

Interesting questions that I cannot really answer, but I CAN say what was my recent experience on Marina (Lima-NYC).

I have booked two sessions just for myself. Somehow I misplaced my info and totally forgot about the first session, so of course I couldn't cancel in time -- in fact, I would have gone to the class! I just recalled the date late that afternoon and couldn't find my reservation card.

But when I realized what had happened, I called to cancel the second class because I knew it just wouldn't work out. I was asked if I REALLY wanted to cancel because they had a waiting list. So I told them to go ahead because it seemed fairer to let someone else take my spot.

But I doubt they would take in more than 36 people. For all I know, the first person on the wait list DID get my spot at the first class when I was a no-show.

Mura