Donations when you travel

darbytx

Has anyone ever brought donations for children when they cruise? I saw that the rotary club has a booth right at the docks

In Belize to accept donations for local schools. Just wondering if you have any experience with this or have tips to get the supplies to where they are needed. :) I am stopping in Belize, Honduras and Cozumel. Thanks!

You need to make sure that the money you give will actually go where it's needed and not into someone's pocket.

Best to visit a local charity and give right there, rather than just someone standing on a dock. You just don't know if they're legit. Some people will go to a local store and purchase school items like paper, pencils, crayons and other items and take them to a local school. But, you'd be using most of your port time doing that.

When I was cruising in India, our ship had members of Mother Theresa's orphanage come to the dock and they were given a lot of items from the ship and they also accepted cash from passengers.

You need to make sure that the money you give will actually go where it's needed and not into someone's pocket.

Best to visit a local charity and give right there, rather than just someone standing on a dock. You just don't know if they're legit. Some people will go to a local store and purchase school items like paper, pencils, crayons and other items and take them to a local school. But, you'd be using most of your port time doing that.

When I was cruising in India, our ship had members of Mother Theresa's orphanage come to the dock and they were given a lot of items from the ship and they also accepted cash from passengers.

Given your warning about people from Rotary mentioned by OP, how dd you know they were from Mother Theresa's.

Edited by GUT2407

I was thinking of bringing pencils, crayons, paper or other school stuff not cash. I thought that the rotary club would be reliable group to give them to to distribute. But wondering if anyone has a specific group they know of to donate to. Or if there are other items that are needed more?

Some places will not permit you to simply walk off the ship carrying bags/boxes of school supplies without declaring them to Customs. You are importing property into their country without proper documentation. You need to follow formalities if doing it properly. Some places are more casual about it than others so be sure of the laws/regulation where you plan to do this.

A number of Cruise Critic members did this on our cruise. It was part of an excursion planned on our roll call. We visited a school that educates children that otherwise could not afford to go to school. The guide provided us with a list of items most needed by the school. We were able to visit the school and present the items. It was a very moving experience.

we took a suitcase full of pencils,crayons, papers, construction papers, pens, erasers and color pencils to a school. Bought the items here in the US and took with us. We drove to port so no worries about extra/heavy luggage for air travel.

A number of Cruise Critic members did this on our cruise. It was part of an excursion planned on our roll call. We visited a school that educates children that otherwise could not afford to go to school. The guide provided us with a list of items most needed by the school. We were able to visit the school and present the items. It was a very moving experience.

It was absolutely wonderful what you all did there. The photos were outstanding and clearly the children were thrilled. As I recall, you all carried tote bags given to all guests by the ship and put all the school supplies in those bags. Is it possible, Customs on that island were not aware? I'm not for a minute suggesting you did anything wrong but you were wise to make the 'packaging' manageable without drawing attention to the ship tote bags that every guest receives. :)

Someone mentioned in that fantastic thread, that was the planning and it was fine.

Edited by sail7seas

There are times when donating makes sense. Every year a few cruise ships call at the small pacific island of "Fanning Island." This is a very poor place that used to be a frequent port of NCL cruises that needed a foreign port for their Hawaiian cruises (to satisfy the PVSA law). NCL contributed generously to the island helping build a school and some other island structures. HAL now calls at that port a few times a year (sometimes on their trans pacific cruises) and knowledgeable passengers bring all kinds of things such as prescription drugs, crayons, pens, etc. It is a very remarkable island in that although it is very poor, the islanders seem quite happy with their situation. They are not ignorant of the world (many of their children go to other larger islands for an education) but seem to love their slow quiet life where fishing is the primary means of support.

Hank

Hank - your post brought back fond memories of our NCL cruise in Feb. '03 with a day on Fanning Island. Prior to the cruise, I collected educational materials at work [scheduled for the dumpster], and picked up additional items such as pens, pencils, markers and note books. My TA gave me a case of sun glasses he received from a DSM from another cruise line. He said they were a coveted item when he was there. Everything was mailed prior to the cruise to a friend in HI who met us at the pier along with educational items she had collected.

The waters were a bit choppy the morning we arrived at Fanning, but an NCL crew member helped me load the 5 large boxes onto the tender and carry them to a pavilion. Loved that island for its pristine beauty. It was sad to hear pax complain about the lack of duty free stores. I treasure the shell baskets, trays and wall hangings I purchased on the island.

Darcy

In 2012 we did a tour to an Embara native village in Panama. There, they said they did not take handouts for the children. Instead, they sold photos and lengths of cloth that they use for skirts. They charged a flat $20 for either one and the money went to the school.

This way they gave something of value for the money they received.

We spend the day on two cruise each year doing mission work in the ports you will visit. I have great connections. You can personally interact with the precious children - a wonderful experience.

The moderator will delete my post if I go in to great detail. You can email me for specifics. I can send you pictures we have taken and a list of the things we've taken. You have to go through a process while onboard the ship if you bring certain items. You're welcome to contact me. I can tell me you will be rewarded with incredible smiles of gratitude.

Make sure that you fill out the required customs forms for any country where you are leaving goods. The regulations are different for every country and you may be required to pay duty on them.

Hank - your post brought back fond memories of our NCL cruise in Feb. '03 with a day on Fanning Island. Prior to the cruise, I collected educational materials at work [scheduled for the dumpster], and picked up additional items such as pens, pencils, markers and note books. My TA gave me a case of sun glasses he received from a DSM from another cruise line. He said they were a coveted item when he was there. Everything was mailed prior to the cruise to a friend in HI who met us at the pier along with educational items she had collected.

The waters were a bit choppy the morning we arrived at Fanning, but an NCL crew member helped me load the 5 large boxes onto the tender and carry them to a pavilion. Loved that island for its pristine beauty. It was sad to hear pax complain about the lack of duty free stores. I treasure the shell baskets, trays and wall hangings I purchased on the island.

Darcy

We have traveled all over the world (to about 100 countries) but Fanning Island was one of the more fascinating places because of the people. In our minds they are a third world country/island with so little in terms of goods and services. But in their minds they live in a paradise with few worries or issues that we have in our world. And those children are just so darling (for the lack of a better word). We walk around their island gawking at their situation and walk past a few cute school children (probably around 8 yrs old) who are just watching us and laughing. It kind of made me wonder who were the smarter folks...and it was not us :).

Hank