May I ask this?

cruisetolose

It is possible that the worst has happened and the OP is too upset, and possibly too embarrassed that they didn't chase up the TA earlier, to come back and give us an update.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It is possible that the worst has happened and the OP is too upset, and possibly too embarrassed that they didn't chase up the TA earlier, to come back and give us an update.

Possible.

But why should they have asked earlier.

Possible.

But why should they have asked earlier.

Because they genuinely didn't realise that they should have had reservation numbers from the time they made their booking? Perhaps they were expecting a package from the TA containing all their documentation etc to arrive a couple of weeks before the departure date.

Most of us here are experienced travellers but there are many, many people who aren't, and those people are the mostly likely to run into problems. :(

Because they genuinely didn't realize that they should have had reservation numbers from the time they made their booking? Perhaps they were expecting a package from the TA containing all their documentation etc to arrive a couple of weeks before the departure date.

Sadly I fear this may be the case, hopefully it was a troll. At least that way no vacation was ruined...

Thanks again to everyone for their comments & advice. Yes we were swindled by our TA and will not be aboard the Summit on June 14th. Tomorrow my daughter graduates from college and we were to bring her home and be off on Sunday. She starts grad school on June 22, so this was our only window for a family escape...

We are seasoned travelers(business & leisure) but had only been on one other cruise which this guy booked. He has booked us thru Europe, USA tours, Hawaii, etc. over the past 15 years. My husband's family has know him for 50 plus years.

We booked with him on March 17th, on the 18th he sent me a confirmation/CONFIRMED with the cabin numbers. I sent him a check on March 30th made out to his Travel Agency which he cashed on April 2nd. Always did it by check (now will only use Amex).

He always was later than I would have liked in sending travel documents, but always did and everything was 110%. I started to get suspicious when he called me saying he heard the previous sailing had food poisoning or flu and did i want to cancel. Knew this was BS and told him on June 8th we wanted to go on the ship. This is when he told me that Celebrity canceled my reservations by mistake, but were sending a refund check. He wanted me to re-book with new reservations and pay with my Amex. I SAID NO WAY & called Celebrity customer service resolutions dept & we uncovered his lies. Lots more little bits and pieces to this puzzle, but the bottom line is the ship is booked. He sent my husband & I apology emails this morning (separately) and we have sent him a demand payment letter. (he is still claiming Celebrity is sending him a refund check, which Celebrity has no record of any payment for...nor any refund being issued).

He blamed the cruise lines for being uncooperative and told my husband he is getting out of "travel". We are pressing charges and getting legal advice. My family is just disappointed and shocked that after all these years this TA would do this, but we are not letting it overwhelm our happy life.

I wanted to post (am I to assume that my post was called a troll? is that a fake post?)and give you an update(this is my first ever use of this type of forum) and thank you again for your helpful e-mails that confirmed many of the suspicions I was having. We are going to do our best to put him out of business so this will not happen to anyone else. (I am thinking that maybe his has been doing this for years? taking payments, using the money, and using his current receivables to pay for the final bookings?? just astounding to us! Again thanks, and happy cruising...

I am so sorry this happened to you and that you will not be taking the vacation you planned. I hope your money is returned swiftly and without much more undue stress on your part. Hopefully you can still enjoy the time with your daughter before she begins her graduate work.

I am so sorry. I was hoping it was a fake post because your experience is so awful. This is appalling. Do not let his "apology" email distract you from seeking to have him charged with fraud. If he was genuinely sorry for HIS actions he would already have given your money back. . I hope you get all of your money returned and quickly. .

Cruisetolose, I am so, so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and update your situation in what must be a very stressful time for you.

I hope you are able to charge this guy with fraud and recover all of your money plus some sort of compensation for stuffing up your vacation with your daughter.

I also hope you are able to find a great way to celebrate with your daughter despite the disappointment that you all must be feeling.

All the best.

That is shocking.

Go to the cruise line and let them know. They MAY be able to do something for you.

Go to the travel agents registration board [if they have one where you are].

Go to the press.

cruisetolose - I feel so bad for you. However, I just checked your sailing and there ARE a few staterooms left. Inventory comes and goes hourly. People cancel at the last minute all the time. If you can... book the cruise again and pay with your AMEX You can straighten things out and start the process of pressing charges on this TA when you return from the cruise. ;)

cruisetolose - I feel so bad for you. However, I just checked your sailing and there ARE a few staterooms left. Inventory comes and goes hourly. People cancel at the last minute all the time. If you can... book the cruise again and pay with your AMEX You can straighten things out and start the process of pressing charges on this TA when you return from the cruise. ;)
Great advice from Iamthesea!

It looks like there is a good chance that you should still be able to salvage this cruise, and since your location is showing as New Jersey, you can drive to the port (or maybe even catch a bus ride) so at least no airline flights are involved.

Celebrity is currently still showing available veranda cabins on this cruise for $1499 pp, aquaclass for $1899 pp and oceanview for $1139 pp.

If anyone in your party is 55+, even better because then the oceanview rate is only $829 pp and the aquaclass rate $1599 pp.

I noticed that 6024, one of the desirable prime "sweet sixteen" veranda cabins with a double-sized balcony on the penthouse deck is even available!

Please don't hesitate to call back the resolutions people at Celebrity in the morning and at least find out what they can do for you.

I am hoping that they will have some compassion under the circumstances, are willing and able to work with you and can save your cruise for you yet.

As for that miserable, despicable TA, I am hoping that you can still have a wonderful and memorable cruise with your daughter, and deal with him after you get back.

I would also suggest taking your story to an investigative reporter at a local TV station and/or newspaper, because it is likely that he has been pulling his scam on other innocent, unsuspecting victims as well and should be exposed.

Best of luck to you!

All of us here who have been following this thread will be rooting for you.

Edited by varoo

Oh, and one more thing: WELCOME TO CRUISE CRITIC :):):). You have seen the many benefits of these boards. When you do cruise, you will also find forums called Roll Calls, where you can meet up online with other people taking the exact same cruise as you are. As you can see, many of us hope you can still make the June 14 sailing of the Summit. She's a fine lady. We have sailed her three times. If you do, please come back and share your experience with us. HAPPY CRUISING.

Edited by emileg

Oh my goodness, that is shocking! :eek::mad: Whilst I am very glad the OP came back to update us, I am so sorry this happened. :(

I really hope she comes back, sees the great advice about rebooking, and gets on that cruise with her dh and dd. OP please don't let this put you off cruising!

Keeping my fingers crossed that you can book with Celebrity and still have your vacation.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments & advice. Yes we were swindled by our TA and will not be aboard the Summit on June 14th. Tomorrow my daughter graduates from college and we were to bring her home and be off on Sunday. She starts grad school on June 22, so this was our only window for a family escape...

We are seasoned travelers(business & leisure) but had only been on one other cruise which this guy booked. He has booked us thru Europe, USA tours, Hawaii, etc. over the past 15 years. My husband's family has know him for 50 plus years.

We booked with him on March 17th, on the 18th he sent me a confirmation/CONFIRMED with the cabin numbers. I sent him a check on March 30th made out to his Travel Agency which he cashed on April 2nd. Always did it by check (now will only use Amex).

He always was later than I would have liked in sending travel documents, but always did and everything was 110%. I started to get suspicious when he called me saying he heard the previous sailing had food poisoning or flu and did i want to cancel. Knew this was BS and told him on June 8th we wanted to go on the ship. This is when he told me that Celebrity canceled my reservations by mistake, but were sending a refund check. He wanted me to re-book with new reservations and pay with my Amex. I SAID NO WAY & called Celebrity customer service resolutions dept & we uncovered his lies. Lots more little bits and pieces to this puzzle, but the bottom line is the ship is booked. He sent my husband & I apology emails this morning (separately) and we have sent him a demand payment letter. (he is still claiming Celebrity is sending him a refund check, which Celebrity has no record of any payment for...nor any refund being issued).

He blamed the cruise lines for being uncooperative and told my husband he is getting out of "travel". We are pressing charges and getting legal advice. My family is just disappointed and shocked that after all these years this TA would do this, but we are not letting it overwhelm our happy life.

I wanted to post (am I to assume that my post was called a troll? is that a fake post?)and give you an update(this is my first ever use of this type of forum) and thank you again for your helpful e-mails that confirmed many of the suspicions I was having. We are going to do our best to put him out of business so this will not happen to anyone else. (I am thinking that maybe his has been doing this for years? taking payments, using the money, and using his current receivables to pay for the final bookings?? just astounding to us! Again thanks, and happy cruising...

We HOPED it was a fake post because we did not want this to be the outcome.

SO SORRY! and as others have stated it seems there are cabins available, go thru Celebrity, either use someone you have already talked to or another agent, tell them your story and use the Amex..... GO!

I would go after this "friend" with all you can, what a creep! Welcome to CC and I would suggest you contact one of the moderators and put his name on a do not use list. I would contact the state (which I'm sure you have), county and city he has the business license in, etc.

WOW and here we thought you had went with some online fly by night shady TA, but instead it was a "trusted" local known agent. Buyer beware has new meaning.

Edited by bobsfamily

This is just awful! I suspected this might be the case from the beginning - as on a cruise I came across an entire group who had had the same thing happen to them. They had to wait an entire year to get money saved and sail as their TA just closed the doors and walked away with their cash. :( Unscrupulous TAs will often take payment made out to them - and if the client doesn't know better - it is easy money.

OP - please pursue this jerk to the full extent of the law! If he has a physical office I would be in there demanding your money back. Don't let this over shadow the wonderful accomplishments of your daughter!!!

I feel your pain, Cruisetolose (maybe you should change your Cruise Critic name?)!

We had something similar happen to us when we booked our first Celebrity Cruise @11 months out thru an online agency found via the "cruise price competition" site. The difference was that we paid in advance via credit card so as to take advantage of the fabulous perks the agency promised. We started getting suspicious when I read a thread from KweenKaren on these forums. Long story short- the online agency had actually made the reservation with deposit to Celebrity via another legitimate agency which I found out by calling Celebrity who reluctantly revealed that agency's name. I started a lengthy correspondence with the online agency to try to get our complete payment returned. Before we saw a dime that online TA went bankrupt! Luckily our payment to them was refunded by VISA (the deposit had been made to Celebrity and our reservation was intact, thank goodness).

What is worse for you is that you knew your travel agent and had been a client for years and he deliberately deceived and defrauded you! I hope you get your $$ back and he gets what he deserves via the legal system!

Congrats to your daughter and saddened that her celebration cruise isn't happening.

Edited by TMLAalum

Oh no, this was a very sad update. [emoji20] I am so sorry. I can only imagine your disappointment. I hope that you are able to find another way to celebrate your daughter's big accomplishment.