Seeking advice on booking

I'm thinking about booking Harmony for next May. I would be taking my son who will be 9. My husband probably will not come -- but what if he decides he wants to?

Can I book a 2 people into a cabin and the add a third?

Or is better to book 3 and then cancel him if he can't come?

I've never booked so far out so I don't know how it works.

Also for a 9 year old do you think a Central Park balcony or a Boardwalk balcony would be better? I'm looking at the sailing from the UK to Spain in May so expect it will be cold in the north Atlantic and we will not want to sit out and watch the ocean.

In many cases you can no longer book a cabin for 3 with only 2 guests.

Add his name to the reservation now, get the cabin you want and then cancel before final payment if he does not go. (Call Royal to confirm but I believe that you are able to cancel a third guest up to 15 days prior to the cruise and receive a full refund)

Agree with the above...book for three now...and make sure you do make a decision about your DH before final payment.

Also with your son being the age he is I would opt for a Boardwalk balcony preferably as far aft as possible and avoid those higher up decks. We have booked the last four cabins aft on deck #9 Harmony.

Best of luck and enjoy.

I'm thinking about booking Harmony for next May. I would be taking my son who will be 9. My husband probably will not come -- but what if he decides he wants to?

Can I book a 2 people into a cabin and the add a third?

Or is better to book 3 and then cancel him if he can't come?

I've never booked so far out so I don't know how it works.

Also for a 9 year old do you think a Central Park balcony or a Boardwalk balcony would be better? I'm looking at the sailing from the UK to Spain in May so expect it will be cold in the north Atlantic and we will not want to sit out and watch the ocean.

It would be better to book 3 now so you get a cabin for 3 and then cancel the third if he doesn't go, however, if this is not a US or Canada booking, you will likely lose your deposit. Not sure where you are from, but make sure you look into the booking rules for your particular country of booking.

It would be better to book 3 now so you get a cabin for 3 and then cancel the third if he doesn't go, however, if this is not a US or Canada booking, you will likely lose your deposit. Not sure where you are from, but make sure you look into the booking rules for your particular country of booking.

If this is a non US Canada booking...you lose the deposit completely and can't use those funds towards the final balance due for the two of you from your 3rd party that canceled. :confused:

I understand that if all cancel they lose their deposits but what if only one cancels :confused:

Edited by Ashland

It will be a US booking.

Thanks for the advice.

I will book a room for 3 and make a decision before final payment (90 days before cruise for 7 nights I think?)

I will also check on prices again when I'm on board and cancel the booking if benefits for booking on board are better. I have never booked on board or cancelled or changed a cruise.

I usually book after final payment and just go.

Thanks again for the advice.

It will be a US booking.

Thanks for the advice.

I will book a room for 3 and make a decision before final payment (90 days before cruise for 7 nights I think?)

I will also check on prices again when I'm on board and cancel the booking if benefits for booking on board are better. I have never booked on board or cancelled or changed a cruise.

I usually book after final payment and just go.

Thanks again for the advice.

75 days. :)

Thanks. 75 days will make planning easier. As it is generally work commitments that interfere with travel.

As I said earlier check with Royal about the cancellation dates. Someone a while back posted that they were able to cancel a third guest up to 15 days prior to sailing with no penalty.

Different cancellation rules for guests 3 and for than there are for guests 1 and 2.

I usually book with an Internet TA but this time since I think there is a 50% chance I will cancel I was going to book with Royal direct.

Is that wise?

You can still book with a travel agent. However, before you book, make sure the agency has no cancel charges.

Thanks for the advice. I will look at cancellation policies and if TA charges to make changes. I'm a last minute kind of person so this advance planning is new to me.

But as always CC has been informative.