Mariner Brunch Questions

KruzPrincess

Do you get an invitation to the Mariner Brunch or do you just watch for it in the daily list of activities?

I am only a one star Marinier. I sailed with HAL about 13 years ago and then again last year on the Veendam. I knew there was an embarkation luncheon in the MDR for Mariners and I went to that. I didn't know there was another event. I was just reading another thread and realized there were two lunches. I am going on a HAL cruise to Alaska this summer and just want to know what to look for.

Thanks.

The Mariner Brunch is never listed in the daily program. It is by invitation which will be delivered to your stateroom. As long as you have sailed once before on HAL you would be eligible. Sometimes if there is a large number of Mariners on board they might limit the number invited to the brunch.

The menu includes three choices of entree, including one vegetarian. It is not an exciting menu. For me, the pleasure is in meeting folks from different places and hearing their travel stories.

Once you reach a medal level you are seated with other medal holders, some of whom are very well traveled and interesting people. I have been at tables where the conversation was so interesting that we were the last to leave the dining room.

You won't offend anyone if you stop at the Front Office and ask them to check whether you are listed as a Mariner and on the list for the Mariners Brunch/Lunch. You normally won't be invited to the medal holders cocktail party that precedes the brunch though.

Edited by the2ofus
Added information

When there are lots of Mariners on the cruise (which is most of the time) they often have the mariners brunch twice a couple of days apart to get everyone in. They are always on sea days.

When there are lots of Mariners on the cruise (which is most of the time) they often have the mariners brunch twice a couple of days apart to get everyone in. They are always on sea days.

On our 1-week Caribbean cruise they did two sittings the same day. I have no idea how they decided who went into which group.

We were on the Volendam's Inside Passage trip a week ago. The Mariner's Lunch was held the day we entered Tracy Arm and arrived in Juneau at 1 p.m. Folks who took the Tracy Arm catamaran excursion missed the lunch.

The two brunches held on the same day were in "On Location" (I think everyone was one star). I also received an invitation. I know a couple of people who went even though they did not get an invitation that day (they had received invitations for a previous brunch - they were three star Mariner's and been invited previously).

3d513703d083930fe1286abc23b2b074.jpg

cbe2ef38f46880f878f3549b49814afd.jpg

Here is a picture of the menu.

64820c15d0821c91bdc0cbd98c31dfc4.jpg

Edited by Scrapnana

The menu previously posted was for the Caribbean. Here is the current menu that I scanned last month on the Noordam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Mariners-Lunch-Alaska.pdf

Your link does not work, at least for me. Perhaps post the photo here like Scrapnana did, so we can compare the difference. Do the HAL menus change frequently?

Thank you to everyone.

I didn't get an invitation. Have to say that I don't have good luck on HAL cruises. I was on the Veendam last year for 2 B2B Canada/New England cruises. We missed 1 1/2 ports on the first leg. No invitation to a Mariner's Brunch. Yes, I understand that missed ports happen. Yes, it's possible that there were too many Mariners, I guess, but the Veendam is a small ship. Then, in Quebec City the ship broke down and I got kicked off, so no opportunity for brunch on the second leg. I'm doing 14 days on the Statendam this year. Traditionally, Alaska has mostly new cruisers, but I suspect there will be a lot of Mariners on this route. It's really not a big deal if I don't get invited, but I was curious how it worked. I have been invited to the most traveled luncheon/cocktail party on Princess a few times and I always enjoy it.

Crew News: I wasn't able to see your picture. Thanks for the effort, though.

Thanks, again. I'll watch to see if I get an invitation.

Your link does not work, at least for me. Perhaps post the photo here like Scrapnana did, so we can compare the difference. Do the HAL menus change frequently?

Ctrl plus left click should open the PDF file. Try this link: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Mariner-Society-Alaskan-Mariners-Luncheon.pdf

The Mariner's Embarkation menu has not changed in a long time. The Alaska and Caribbean Brunch menus change slightly about every two years.

Edited by Crew News

Thank you to everyone.

I didn't get an invitation. Have to say that I don't have good luck on HAL cruises. I was on the Veendam last year for 2 B2B Canada/New England cruises. We missed 1 1/2 ports on the first leg. No invitation to a Mariner's Brunch. Yes, I understand that missed ports happen. Yes, it's possible that there were too many Mariners, I guess, but the Veendam is a small ship. Then, in Quebec City the ship broke down and I got kicked off, so no opportunity for brunch on the second leg. I'm doing 14 days on the Statendam this year. Traditionally, Alaska has mostly new cruisers, but I suspect there will be a lot of Mariners on this route. It's really not a big deal if I don't get invited, but I was curious how it worked. I have been invited to the most traveled luncheon/cocktail party on Princess a few times and I always enjoy it.

Everyone that has sailed before with hal or the carnival family should get an invite. I've never heard of people not getting invited because there was too many Mariners. If it's important to you by all means ask at the front desk.

I thought I was the only one. Crew News: your links never work on my computer.

Thank you to everyone.

On our last cruise we didn't get the invitation for the Mariner's brunch while DH was on the ship. I asked at the front desk and we were told we could not attend one of the 2 or 3 earlier brunches (I knew when they were because of our roll call). We received an invitation AFTER DH disembarked. He was on the first 16 days and I was on the for 20 with the children. Since he was gone and the children dislike the menu we didn't attend. But I asked for the 4 tiles at the front desk when we received our invitations and were given them without issue.

On our 3-day Pacific Coastal, there was no Mariner Brunch. The wife and I were listed as 1-star due to sailing Carnival previously. This also meant we didn't get the tile... we had kind of looked forward to it, just because...

Oh well, there was a lot of other good food to be had (see below) and we enjoyed ourselves anyway... Still would have liked the tile (unless I misunderstand how that is supposed to work)

The mariner brunches have limited menus, brusque service and a jam packed dining room in my experience, we usually skip them. We are not interested in the sparkling wine that appears to be the main draw. The conversation is no more interesting or varied than at anytime dining, except most attendees seem to be in a rush to leave. We already have more mariner tiles than we know what do do with. My advice is to skip the brunch. Ask for a tile at the front desk, if you want one.

The mariner brunches have limited menus, brusque service and a jam packed dining room in my experience, we usually skip them. We are not interested in the sparkling wine that appears to be the main draw. The conversation is no more interesting or varied than at anytime dining, except most attendees seem to be in a rush to leave. We already have more mariner tiles than we know what do do with. My advice is to skip the brunch. Ask for a tile at the front desk, if you want one.

Yeah I was unsure what to expect but it sounded interesting. I did ask for a tile at the front desk and they had some answer that equated to "no, not on this cruise"... Didn't make a lot of sense, but no worries. Definitely not going to make a stink over it :)

I second this. Just go to the front office and request one tile for each person in your cabin. For us it is 4.

I did, but to no avail. No huge loss, I guess.

That is not right. Call the Mariner's Society and request the tiles be mailed to you. It is advertised that you get a "memento" of your cruise (the tile), they don't say you HAVE to attend the brunch to get the memento.

That is not right. Call the Mariner's Society and request the tiles be mailed to you. It is advertised that you get a "memento" of your cruise (the tile), they don't say you HAVE to attend the brunch to get the memento.

OK, 1of4... thanks for the idea. It certainly wasn't a complaint, just an observation. But I will email them and see what happens.