Suite perks versus Haven suite perks

wimsikl

Hello,

I've sailed in regular suites on NCL, but never Haven. I am wondering what perks they get on Jewel Class ships that regular suites don't. It seems to be around a thousand $ more so trying to understand difference.

Thanks!

We don't book Haven suites on the Jewel class ships because about all the much higher fare gets you over "ordinary" suites is use of the Haven courtyard, which IMO isn't particularly large or attractive enough to warrant the much higher fare. I'm sure others will have the opposite opinion.

PS: When I say all you get is use of the courtyard I'm not addressing top tier suites that get some extra things like a liquor set up, which to me are even less important.

Edited by njhorseman

Njhorseman is right. The only additional perk is getting access to the courtyard, where you can dine for breakfast and lunch, or enjoy the hot tub or get wet in the little pool. We thought it was worth it as a nice escape from the crowds on our sailing.

You also get access to the Private Haven sundeck....which, depending on your cruise, and what you like to do, could be invaluable. For example, we booked Haven suite for our Mexican Riviera cruise because we think having the private sundeck will make it worth while, especially since we are going during whale season. Plus, having the UBB, it will be nice having a Haven butler who can get us drinks. You are not allowed to get drinks in your cabin via UBB, but you ARE allowed to get drinks in the Haven area. Right there if you drink, it is worth it.

We have enjoyed the Haven and sun deck on the Jewell class ships. It's a quiet, peaceful area where you can always find a lounger waiting (in our experience anyway) with a pool butler available to bring you whatever you need. We just don't like the crowded, noisy regular deck area with the chair hogs, wall to wall loungers, poor service you can find on sea days, so the Haven gets us away from all that. How much that advantage is worth in dollars, however, is a personal decision.

Edited by cynbar

I booked us in a Haven suite on the Pearl for my husbands first cruise. He's not big on crowds and since it took me years to get him to even go on a cruise to me it was worth it. We both enjoyed the quietness of the Haven area and several nights used the hot tub since there was no one in the entire courtyard on numerous evenings. We also liked the private sundeck and that's where we usually were for sail away from the ports.

Maybe I can offer my opinion since I meet your requirements having cruised in both aft suites and Haven suites on the Pearl and Jewel 5 times in the past 6 years.

In the aft suites we have stayed in, we have received: priority embarkation and debarkation, priority tendering, breakfast and lunches at Cagneys/now Modernos on some Jewel class ships, access to the butler and concierge, afternoon treats delivered to your suite and invitations to special events.

The the 2 Bedroom Haven suites and Garden Villas we have stayed in we also received in addition to the above: access to the Haven area and sundeck above, reserved seating at the theater, private tour of the bridge for our family, a high level of attentiveness from the butler, concierge and room stewards.

Since we primarily cruise the week after Thanksgiving the weather can be somewhat iffy. Having access to the Haven area which can be pleasantly warm as compared to the cooler outside air temperature is an added value to us. Also, if the weather is nice, the retractable roof is opened allowing the fresh air and a gentle breeze to circulate. If it begins to rain a bit, the roof slides closed and you still can sit in your swimsuit and enjoy a dip in the pool or take a relaxing soak in the hot tub. My retirement aged parents used the small exercise area most mornings in the Haven where they didn't have to wait for the treadmill and they enjoyed playing the video games on the t.v. screens!:D If you want to be away from the masses, the activity and loudness of the main pool area on deck 12, and want to enjoy the sun in relative peace, then the upper Haven sundeck offers wonderful views and your choice of areas to sit. Most Haven sundecks will have a hammock or two to relax in as well. Every cruise we have been on there has been seating for well over 60 people and less than 10 have ever been using the sundeck while I have been laying in the sun up there. Our MOST enjoyed cruise was one where we stayed in a two bedroom Haven suite, just my husband and I. We would put on our swimsuits, open our door, walk less than six steps and be inside of the Haven. We experienced the most relaxed week of our lives having immediate access to our suite, the two bathrooms (;)) the pool, the hot tub, the suite restaurant, and a bar all within steps, not decks, from us. it was truly the best choice for us. I will also add...we book our suites of choice at least a year and a half out. We had originally booked an aft suite on deck 10. Two weeks before our cruise the prices dropped and we called our PCC who moved us, at no charge, to this 2 bedroom Haven suite and were able to keep all of our OBC. So the stars all fell into perfect alignment for this senario to happen!

As for the two Garden Villas we have stayed in? We booked two years out and saved our pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars, to be able to fully pay for the suite of our dreams in cash. No-one should create a financial hardship to be able to cruise. Whatever cabin/suite you choose, remember, you are on the ship! Only YOU can make your vacation be the best it can be, so gather the facts, get opinions and make an informed decision! HAVE FUN and GOOD LUCK!

Edited by realcindylouwho

Maybe I can offer my opinion since I meet your requirements having cruised in both aft suites and Haven suites on the Pearl and Jewel 5 times in the past 6 years.

In the aft suites we have stayed in, we have received: priority embarkation and debarkation, priority tendering, breakfast and lunches at Cagneys/now Modernos on some Jewel class ships, access to the butler and concierge, afternoon treats delivered to your suite and invitations to special events.

The the 2 Bedroom Haven suites and Garden Villas we have stayed in we also received in addition to the above: access to the Haven area and sundeck above, reserved seating at the theater, private tour of the bridge for our family, a high level of attentiveness from the butler, concierge and room stewards.

Since we primarily cruise the week after Thanksgiving the weather can be somewhat iffy. Having access to the Haven area which can be pleasantly warm as compared to the cooler outside air temperature is an added value to us. Also, if the weather is nice, the retractable roof is opened allowing the fresh air and a gentle breeze to circulate. If it begins to rain a bit, the roof slides closed and you still can sit in your swimsuit and enjoy a dip in the pool or take a relaxing soak in the hot tub. My retirement aged parents used the small exercise area most mornings in the Haven where they didn't have to wait for the treadmill and they enjoyed playing the video games on the t.v. screens!:D If you want to be away from the masses, the activity and loudness of the main pool area on deck 12, and want to enjoy the sun in relative peace, then the upper Haven sundeck offers wonderful views and your choice of areas to sit. Most Haven sundecks will have a hammock or two to relax in as well. Every cruise we have been on there has been seating for well over 60 people and less than 10 have ever been using the sundeck while I have been laying in the sun up there. Our MOST enjoyed cruise was one where we stayed in a two bedroom Haven suite, just my husband and I. We would put on our swimsuits, open our door, walk less than six steps and be inside of the Haven. We experienced the most relaxed week of our lives having immediate access to our suite, the two bathrooms (;)) the pool, the hot tub, the suite restaurant, and a bar all within steps, not decks, from us. it was truly the best choice for us. I will also add...we book our suites of choice at least a year and a half out. We had originally booked an aft suite on deck 10. Two weeks before our cruise the prices dropped and we called our PCC who moved us, at no charge, to this 2 bedroom Haven suite and were able to keep all of our OBC. So the stars all fell into perfect alignment for this senario to happen!

As for the two Garden Villas we have stayed in? We booked two years out and saved our pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars, to be able to fully pay for the suite of our dreams in cash. No-one should create a financial hardship to be able to cruise. Whatever cabin/suite you choose, remember, you are on the ship! Only YOU can make your vacation be the best it can be, so gather the facts, get opinions and make an informed decision! HAVE FUN and GOOD LUCK!

Thank you so much for the great information.

We've stayed in a Deck 10 Owner's Suite on the Jewel and the Pearl. We need to take the elevator up to the Haven area, not direct access from our suite. We have a butler but probably not the same butler that serves all the suites around the Haven.

However, we've never seen a butler in the Haven to get us a drink or bring something to eat -- usually the Haven is empty.

Are we missing something?

Thank you so very much for this detailed response. You gave me exactly what I needed to know. There are actually a number of things you listed which I would value. Now I understand and can make a more informed decision on which would best depending on price difference, goal of that cruise, etc... I can say that I would definitely willing to pay more for Haven depending on how much it is, and if my goal is relaxation and cocktails by the pool versus doing a ton of sightseeing at every port. I love both kinds!

We've stayed in a Deck 10 Owner's Suite on the Jewel and the Pearl. We need to take the elevator up to the Haven area, not direct access from our suite. We have a butler but probably not the same butler that serves all the suites around the Haven.

However, we've never seen a butler in the Haven to get us a drink or bring something to eat -- usually the Haven is empty.

Are we missing something?

Do regular Suites like the Owners Suite get access to the Haven Courtyard? I thought only Haven guests had access to the Haven courtyard. Just curious.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for sharing your experience. We too have stayed in the Haven on the larger ships (Epic and Getaway) but this will be our first time on one of NCL's smaller ships. We're sailing on the Pearl next year. We were debating whether to just book a suite or a Haven. We stayed in a suite on Star a while back.

We booked the Haven on the Pearl and I think we'll keep our room. The Haven perks are nice but we really value relaxing on the sun deck and in the Haven Courtyard!

Again, thank you for your insight!

For me, the privacy of the Haven, the ability to let my kids swim without constantly fearing for their lives or losing one of them (we usually cruise on spring break), and having access to a hot tub that is can watch my kids from AND is not overcrowded with25 people is priceless.

On Jewel class ships we would just get a Penthouse suite and skip the Haven.

If the Haven did have their own private restaurant for dinner, then we would be tempted, but I don't think it's worth it for the price for just that small pool. Lately, in the Caribbean, we've been staying onboard since we've been to most of the ports anyway. That way, we do have the big pools practically to ourselves.

• 3 months later...
On Jewel class ships we would just get a Penthouse suite and skip the Haven.

If the Haven did have their own private restaurant for dinner, then we would be tempted, but I don't think it's worth it for the price for just that small pool. Lately, in the Caribbean, we've been staying onboard since we've been to most of the ports anyway. That way, we do have the big pools practically to ourselves.

Ditto!

We have stayed in suites before but only on the Dawn class (where there is no haven). We booked an aft penthouse on the jewel to asia for next year and were debating upgrading to a haven suite as I felt like maybe we would be missing out on something.

Well we just got off the breakaway where we were fortunate enough to stay in a haven suite. We only ate in the haven restaurant twice for dinner (on a 7 day cruise) - and used the haven area once (not sun worshipers) . We did not sit in the lounge/bar area but did go there a few times on our way out to grab a drink (as no lines).

So for us - the extra cost for haven access on the jewel ships would not be worth it. But others on our cruise hung out in the haven almost exclusively. For those, it would be worth it.

I see this is an older post but I think this information is still relevant and may help others who need to make similar decisions.

Edited by deefer
missing a word