We are FINALLY Here - ALaska!

hllwdcruiser

We arrived yesterday in Anchorage to beautiful sunny skies and temperatures in the 60's. My excitement and enthusiasm began on the plane - the views of mountain ranges we're amazing and literally, without exaggeration, took my breath away. We were on the left - better views (from Seattle) were on the right - but fellow passengers were really generous in letting us "left siders" practically sit on their laps for a better glimpse

We booked our land and cruise tour in March 2014, the first day the bookings opened up,but have been researching Alaska on these boards for years. So, due to all of you wonderful experts, we are doing the land tour first, followed by the Voyage of the Glaciers, Southbound on the Coral Princess in cabin E736. See? I was paying attention!

We arrived early and stayed last night in the Anchorage Hilton on points. It is a wonderful hotel but we will be heading to Captain Cook later today to begin our tour. We wandered around Anchorage last night and feasted on street food of reindeer sausage and a delicious caribou gyro - drink and chips included - it came to only $17! We plan on dining a little better today, starting with breakfast at the Snow City Cafe. Any suggestions as far as where we should go to dinner will be greatly appreciated!

Tomorrow morning we head to Mt McKinley for one night and will be taking the Talkeetna Air Taxi in the afternoon for a glacier landing - fingers and toes are crossed for good weather. Then we stay two nights in Denali and have the TWT booked.

Listening yet again to the experts, I pared our luggage down to 2 suitcases, one carry on for meds and essentials and two lightweight backpacks. One suitcase will stay with us, one goes straight to the ship. DH, Steve, is fine in a Tee and a light jacket, I am wearing a long sleeve Tee and a fleece but I am always chilly in these types of temps. From what locals are telling me though is that we will need our water/wind proof warmer jackets once out near Denali and on the ship and ESPECIALLY if the weather changes.

I'll try to answer all questions as long as I have cell service and internet. I turn Platinum after this voyage so I won't have access while on board.

On another note, for the first time I prepaid gratuities so that we can have fun with all our OBC! Steve questioned me on this as it really all comes out the same in the end - but I told him it was a psychological thing - something his pragmatic mind couldn't understand :rolleyes:

That's all for now - I'll try to post more later - I only have my iPad so pictures will have to wait for my return.

Sharon

Sounds like a dream experience coming true for you. Enjoy your Princess land and cruise vacation. Alaska truly is the last great frontier. My wife and I just had a beautiful round trip cruise from Seattle to Alaska (inside passage with Tracy Arm Fjord). We loved it!

Enjoy your time in AK. I hope the weather is nice so that you can see Mt McKinley as often times is is hidden in the clouds. The NPS trip to the Mt McKinley visitor center is well worth it and you will see various wildlife going and coming. I have seen grizzlies, wolves, foxes, beavers, reindeer, mountain goats etc. The park has a really interesting show of their dogs they actually use for dog sleds in the winter. Per usual it was very informative. If you have not already figured it out get ready for continual daylight and very short darkness.

I have gone to the Glacier Brewhouse several times in Anchorage and enjoyed it. They have a really good rating on several travel sites. Spend a few hours in Talkeetna as it is a wonderful small town with many interesting little shops.

Dinner suggestion in anchorage -- If you like pizza, go to the Bear Tooth or the Moose's Tooth restaurants. We have been several times to the Bear Tooth and the food is really good, particularly the pizza. Moose's Tooth is owned by the same entity and is supposed to be equally good.

Would love to hear more once you get to Denali

Have Fun !!

Srpilo

Will report back as much as I can - annything in particular you would like me to look out for?

Please report back on the cabin as I've booked it for next year :)

Absolutely!

Enjoy your time in AK. I hope the weather is nice so that you can see Mt McKinley as often times is is hidden in the clouds. The NPS trip to the Mt McKinley visitor center is well worth it and you will see various wildlife going and coming. I have seen grizzlies, wolves, foxes, beavers, reindeer, mountain goats etc. The park has a really interesting show of their dogs they actually use for dog sleds in the winter. Per usual it was very informative. If you have not already figured it out get ready for continual daylight and very short darkness.

I have gone to the Glacier Brewhouse several times in Anchorage and enjoyed it. They have a really good rating on several travel sites. Spend a few hours in Talkeetna as it is a wonderful small town with many interesting little shops.

Dinner suggestion in anchorage -- If you like pizza, go to the Bear Tooth or the Moose's Tooth restaurants. We have been several times to the Bear Tooth and the food is really good, particularly the pizza. Moose's Tooth is owned by the same entity and is supposed to be equally good.

Thanks for your suggestions. We ended up I eating at Orso, Glacier Brewhouse's sister restaurant. We were going to go to the Brewhouse but then discovered that Orso had a Happy Hour ;)

The weather yesterday continued warm and sunny and I truly regretted wearing my long sleeve Tee. Short sleeves and sandals would have been a far better choice. There is a video circulating on YouTube and on these Boards posted by a woman who showed that all she wore were winter clothes on her trip to Alaska. This was clearly just her opinion from one trip. I am very glad we packed for all weather conditions.

After checking in at Capt Cook, we dropped off our bags (we couldn't get in our room until 3PM.) and attempted to have breakfast at Snow City Cafe. I say "attempted" because once we learned we would have to wait 1 1/2 hours for a table, we executed a U Turn and went instead to Sandwich Deck located on the same block. No lines, no waiting and was just fine for Breakfast.

Anchorage is a walking city - based on a grid - and very easy to navigate. We did take the one hour Trolley tour $20 a person, and in my opinion, a total waste of time and money.

We explored until 3 and returned to the hotel to check in and get our packets and keys from the Princess Desk.

We ended up going to Orso's for an early dinner and Happy Hour which is from 3-6 - great reduced prices for small plates and appetizers which were delicious - we didn't leave hungry. They only had a small selection for reduced priced drinks - we went rogue and didn't order any of them but drank our "usuals" instead.

Our favorite part of the day was walking down 5th Ave to Elderberry Park and then down to the Coastal Trail and Resolution Point with the Captain Cook Memorial. Anchorage is a great city - but if we were here for more than one day we would have definitely needed a car to explore the many attractions outside of the city.

We are on the bus now to Mt McKinley - it is supposed to get up to the 80's there today. Unbelievable!

The weather yesterday continued warm and

Anchorage is a walking city - based on a grid - and very easy to navigate. We did take the one hour Trolley tour $20 a person, and in my opinion, a total waste of time and money.

What didn't you like about the trolly? We're on a post cruise land tour with the first night in Anchorage. I have the trolly tour booked and a reservation at the Glacier Brewhouse after. A lot of walking isn't an option for us - we thought the trolly looked fun and easy.

How close to the Captain Cook is Orso's?

Edited by mek

Sounds like you're having a great time in Alaska so far! :) We are considering going to Alaska instead of Panama Canal in 2017, and would love to go in May/June for the better weather... plenty time to decide anyhow! :D

Next to each other.

Well, that would be convenient. I think we arrive at the hotel around noon and we don't have the trolly tour until 5 pm. Would you recommend them for a light lunch?

Well, that would be convenient. I think we arrive at the hotel around noon and we don't have the trolly tour until 5 pm. Would you recommend them for a light lunch?

I have only been to Glacier Brewhouse. Orso's was being built when I was there. I know people who have eaten at both and loved both. You will have to look at the menu to see if it would work for a light lunch.

Edited by Coral

What didn't you like about the trolly? We're on a post cruise land tour with the first night in Anchorage. I have the trolly tour booked and a reservation at the Glacier Brewhouse after. A lot of walking isn't an option for us - we thought the trolly looked fun and easy.

I've done the trolley tour twice and would do it again, I thought it was so good! Orso and Glacier Brewhouse are both only about 1.5 blocks from the Captain Cook. Make a res! [emoji6]

We did Princess Connoisseur land tour Alaska in May of last year. Weather was awesome and had a fabulous time. We saw McKinley numerous times. I'd like to see Alaska again but would like to drive it this time. Have a great time.

I've done the trolley tour twice and would do it again, I thought it was so good! Orso and Glacier Brewhouse are both only about 1.5 blocks from the Captain Cook. Make a res! [emoji6]

I do have a reservation for 6:30PM, which I think gives us enough time to get from the trolly to the restaurant.

Of course everything is subjective but I just did not find that the tour lived up to my expectations. Steve and I are quite active and explored the entire downtown area by foot the day before and the morning of the tour. Beyond the downtown highlights, which are few and we had already seen, we were taken past the local high school and an airfield. We also went through some unremarkable neighborhoods. Our tour guide was friendly and personable but only gave us a very brief overview of the history of Anchorage. He spoke a lot about his own personal life and experience which would have been great as a dinner conversation but didn't sit well when we had just paid $40 for the privilege of being his captive audience.

Clearly others on this board had better experiences with this tour and since your husband has mobility issues, this very well could be a perfect tour for you.

Orso's was wonderful for Happy Hour. I can't speak for lunch or dinner. It was more expensive than the Brewhouse. Whatever you do, make reservations and try to eat at off hours - all the restaurants are packed!

Have a fabulous time! LOVE Alaska!

Thanks so much! You have no idea how helpful your advice and posts have been to me over the years. You are definitely one of the experts I referred to in my first post.

Can't wait to hear more. I was hoping you could have told me about snow City Café. I thought about going there when we are in Alaska next month. Do they take reservations? Hope you have a wonderful time.