Allure Itinerary St Kitts or Labadee?

My son has the Allure at the top of his bucket list so we're probably going to book it for next summer. We just returned from a glorious 10 day vacation on St John, USVI and I'm starting to look for next year's vacation. My question is this: If you had to chose between going to St Kitts or Labadee which would you choose and why? We've been to all of the other ports on each itinerary except these. He wants to cruise for the ship and we will probably stay on board at those ports except these two.

I guess knowing a little about us would help. We like to explore new places, rarely take ship sponsored excursions and aren't "afraid" of the locals. We actually discovered St John in the early 2000's by venturing out on our own while docked at St Thomas. I'll be 45 :eek: and he'll be 16. He's a football player in good shape and well, I'm a mom in decent shape. HA! We've zip lined in Jamaica and loved it and we both LOVE roller coasters so I'm leaning towards Labadee. BUT I'm always on the hunt for a new island to fly to and spend 10 days so that's what has me intrigued about St Kitts.

Thanks for y'alls opinions!!!

Personal opinion: Labadee is an underwhelming tropical, man-made amusement park with lots of food and alcohol - and almost no culture. I'm not a fan but understand why others like the island. One's opinion is dependent on differing life factors and influences.

St Kitts is beautiful, lush and historical. We rented a car and drove around the island's main road and at our own pace. Brimstone Hill is an interesting UNESCO site and worth visiting. There is a rainforest site with a decent hiking trail. Gorgeous scenery, no wildlife. We also found a quiet, secluded beach called Majors Bay in the SE part of the island that we loved. St Kitts (and Nevis) is a country and cannot be compared to St John which is a USVI and largely a nature preserve.

I've never been to St Kitt's, but you will probably be very disappointed in Labadee. If you have been to Coco Cay or one of the other cruiseline's private island, that is what Labadee is. You could never spend 10 days there, they won't let you, so you won't find your new island destination at Labadee. St Kitt's is the one for you.

Thank y'all so much! St Kitt's it is!!!!

Nado44---When you rented a car did the people meet you at the pier? Is the steering wheel on the left or right of the car? I'm good with driving on the left, but I've only driven on the left with the steering wheel on the left. Can you recommend the company?

Thanks again!!!

Nado44---When you rented a car did the people meet you at the pier? Is the steering wheel on the left or right of the car? I'm good with driving on the left, but I've only driven on the left with the steering wheel on the left. Can you recommend the company?

Avis and Thrifty (rental car agencies) are located near the pier. Just a hop and a skip away. Be sure to get detailed walking directions before you leave the ship. Steering wheel mechanism likely to be on the right side as is typical in locales where driving is on the left.

Good luck and have a great time!

While Labadee makes a nice beach stop, the wall-to-wall lounge chairs pretty much obscure the sand in some places.

We did the zipline in St. Kitts (booked through RCI) and it was a great experience. You can't book that one privately, but it was the same price as the Labadee zipline and I felt it offered so much more (mini island tour ... 5 zips instead of one).

I'm good with driving on the left, but I've only driven on the left with the steering wheel on the left.
Just remember that half of the car will be on your left, rather than on your right. The one time I drove in England, I found that I was gauging my spot on the road by where my BODY was. Side-scraped the wide bumper on a truck. :(

Just remember that half of the car will be on your left, rather than on your right. The one time I drove in England, I found that I was gauging my spot on the road by where my BODY was. Side-scraped the wide bumper on a truck. :(

Don't scare the OP! Her 16-year old son will help with navigation and gauging. :)

I love St. Kitts, but I'll be the oddball out here.

Labadee. Reason being, if you are wanting to cross something off his bucket list, and he is cruising for the ship, don't go somewhere he might be tempted to get off. Let him have all the time on the ship.

St. Kitts without question. The island is beautiful and the people very friendly. Labadee is nothing but a forced beach day in RCI's private compound surrounded by a fence with a closed gate, and an armed guard to make sure no one who isn't supposed to goes through the gate.

We also like to venture out at ports and explore and interact with locals. We don't like spending the day at the beach. We don't travel for beaches as the Altantic ocean and beaches are down the street from my house. I try my best to avoid itineraries with Labadee unless it is a cruise over 7 nights. I look at Labadee as being a trade off for the longer cruise.

St. Kitts without question. The island is beautiful and the people very friendly. Labadee is nothing but a forced beach day in RCI's private compound surrounded by a fence with a closed gate, and an armed guard to make sure no one who isn't supposed to goes through the gate.

We also like to venture out at ports and explore and interact with locals. We don't like spending the day at the beach. We don't travel for beaches as the Altantic ocean and beaches are down the street from my house. I try my best to avoid itineraries with Labadee unless it is a cruise over 7 nights. I look at Labadee as being a trade off for the longer cruise.

Ditto.

Although I personally love Labadee, based on what you said about you & your family, I would go with St Kitts. Liked them both for different reasons.

Labadee is a private section of Haiti fenced off from the locals. No culture there that you will get to see. Loved the beach day there. They have a huge zipline and a roller coaster and not sure what else. We had a cabana and that probably made my day better than most here that didn't like it. I also had a drink package so all my drinks were included. That contributed to me liking it I'm sure.

St Kitts; lot of things to see & do. Lots of culture. We did a tour that included seeing the Pitons, volcano, ate fresh banana's, a tropical garden. Beautiful lush tropical land. I'm sure doing a snorkeling or water excursion there would be terrific too.

Has anyone here done the St. Kitt's railway excursion? All comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick and Deirdra

We enjoyed it so much that we have done it twice. Once with the bus ride back and once with the catamaran (sp??) around the rest of the island. Wonderful views of the island. Well worth the price

The OP indicated Allure was the main calling. With that in mind, Allure rarely visits St Kitts and visits Labadee every other week. I do like labadee, but I can get that on several ships and itinerary.