Golden Review, Photos & Full Ship Video Tour (Coming soon!)

Sheebah

The day after Haines was Juneau.

We were excited to visit as we missed it on our first cruise due to a passenger medical emergency on a former cruise. We had some "must do" ideas in this port but as usual with vacations, we didn't get to it all.

TENDERING in Juneau and Ketchikan was NOT OUR FAVORITE part of this cruise and somewhat limited out time in port because of extra time planning. I'll never make that booking mistake again. .especially for what we paid for our inside cabin on this trip.

So we set out to catch out own ride to Mendenhall to hike to nugget falls. We chose the blue bus to Mendenhall and had an awesome driver there and back who educated us on the area, told us about his families fishing history and spoiled us with as much info as we'd have learned on a expensive tour. It was $20 pp round trip, wland we tipped amother $20.

MOM had been stricken with a cold, so she stayed in the visitors center at Mendenhall and we hit the trial for nugget. It was stunning. My son was thirsty so we took a risk and drank a train from the waterfall. Best water I've ever tasted.

After returning on one of the last busses, we budgeted some time to hit the red dog for some potato skins, their house made spiked pemonade, and of course a duck fart.

It was fun, but the food was subpar. Time was running out so we made our way to the long and annoying tender line. If it had been raining, 500 or so passengers would have been wet and cold but it was lovely weather so there seemed to be acceptance with most passengers. After realizing my mom left her cruse card somewhere I spirited back to red dog and miraculously found it in the sawdust beneath the table we had sat in

Seeing the tender line was moving slowly, I snagged a delicious $10 bag of popcorn for enjoyment in the tender line and headed back to my family. That made the wait much more pleasant.

We would have loved to hit the tram but ran out of time.

Stay tuned, Ketchum is coming next!

1434905735957.jpg.eb9b0b7a01a4593e0693ad82330ac479.jpg

1434905747423.jpg.bd42380f591b41c921588fc5414319aa.jpg

1434905792793.jpg.e9dbff811ddbb0b5b3bd9f064957fb23.jpg

1434905825061.jpg.c7af8d8035bd7ab01d11653cf80be33a.jpg

What a great video and great voice.! You must use that voice in your work. Excellent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, if being on the phone a lot counts, then yes, I do!

Thanks for the kind comments :-)

For all the information and pictures.

Friends cruise on Golden tenders into Ketchikan too

and says it's by the last dock.

When you do the Ketchikan post would you please tell

us where the tender left you off and was there a shuttle

into town. Was there more then one and how often did they run.

Also where the shuttle dropped you off in town.

If you walked into town how far was it.

Sorry for all the questions but thank you for answering

them for me and everyone.

For all the information and pictures.

Friends cruise on Golden tenders into Ketchikan too

and says it's by the last dock.

When you do the Ketchikan post would you please tell

us where the tender left you off and was there a shuttle

into town. Was there more then one and how often did they run.

Also where the shuttle dropped you off in town.

If you walked into town how far was it.

Sorry for all the questions but thank you for answering

them for me and everyone.

Yes, you are dropped at the farthest "left" point but it's no different tendering than if you were docked as the ships are just lined along the same dock area, if that makes sense. We were basically dropped just at the back of another cruise ship.

I don't think there are shuttles because you're already pretty much IN town, which is nice! There is shopping immediately to your left and right once off the ship, and you'll get your bearings quickly....most people would head off to the right towards shops, restaurants and the nearby visitors center.

We returned from the June 11 Alaska cruise on the Golden two days ago. We love this cruise regardless of which ship is posted in SF. On the Tracy Arm day we did not make the final curve and never actually saw Sawyer Glacier. It was so disappointing and those that have never done this itinerary were deprived of the beauty of the experience. The naturalist did very little commentary and nothing was announced about not approaching further other than "and now we will begin our return to the Inland Passage Canal." We were, and remain, dumbfounded.

No explanation the rest of the cruise. Newbies didn't know the difference but it was SO disappointing.

Susan

Edited by provencedelsol

We returned from the June 11 Alaska cruise on the Golden two days ago. We love this cruise regardless of which ship is posted in SF. On the Tracy Arm day we did not make the final curve and never actually saw Sawyer Glacier. It was so disappointing and those that have never done this itinerary were deprived of the beauty of the experience. The naturalist did very little commentary and nothing was announced about not approaching further other than "and now we will begin our return to the Inland Passage Canal." We were, and remain, dumbfounded.

No explanation the rest of the cruise. Newbies didn't know the difference but it was SO disappointing.

Susan

Susan, that happened to us on our first cruise to Alaska with Tracy arm. I'm so sorry, it's very disappointing. In our case, back in 2005, it was too icy. I doubt that's what happened on your cruise as our itinerary had no issues.

I must say, I prefer glacier bay- you can get closer, and it's more majestic.

Susan

Did you inquire with anyone? Usually its too much ice.

Princess does what's safe for the passengers/crew and the vessel.

Did you inquire with anyone? Usually its too much ice.

Princess does what's safe for the passengers/crew and the vessel.

Yes, I inquired and mum was the word. No obvious sea ice or growlers etc. That is why the reverse was so surprising. The water was open. A couple of flows with seal mother and child but nothing unusual.

Susan

Thank you for such an informative and enjoyable review. We are on the goldeneye she comes to Australia (30 oct out of Melbourne for South Pacific.). Have been on dawn, sea and sun so looking forward to trying anew ship and your review helped see the differences.

Thank you for such an informative and enjoyable review. We are on the goldeneye she comes to Australia (30 oct out of Melbourne for South Pacific.). Have been on dawn, sea and sun so looking forward to trying anew ship and your review helped see the differences.

What a fantastic itinerary - you'll love it!

I know Ketchikan but have never tendered

there. Just wanted to know how long of a walk

to middle of town from tendering spot.

Thanks

A very short walk. Just as if you were docked at the last spot rather than tendering...the tender drop off spot is right in the heart of the action in Ketchikan. Hope this helps.

The day after Haines was Juneau.

We were excited to visit as we missed it on our first cruise due to a passenger medical emergency on a former cruise. We had some "must do" ideas in this port but as usual with vacations, we didn't get to it all.

TENDERING in Juneau and Ketchikan was NOT OUR FAVORITE part of this cruise and somewhat limited out time in port because of extra time planning. I'll never make that booking mistake again. .especially for what we paid for our inside cabin on this trip.

Hi Sheebah! Awesome videos! I second (or third) that Princess should be paying you for your advertising work.

As for the tendering comments above, we are on the somewhat same itinerary on August 30. I say somewhat as we are going to Skagway instead of Haines.

Nowhere on our itinerary does it mention any tender ports at all, so I am curious if your itinerary showed those prior to getting on the ship.

I have a Southern Caribbean cruise booked in my personalizer and Princess Cays shows that it is a tender port as expected, but the others show just as a normal dock berth.

Thanks for all you have done in letting us know what we can expect on this beautiful ship!

Since the Golden does a 10 day instead of a 7 day

and has two different routes..sometimes they have

to tender but not always,

If yours doesn't say anything about tendering that

means you don't have to.

Hi Sheebah! Awesome videos! I second (or third) that Princess should be paying you for your advertising work.

As for the tendering comments above, we are on the somewhat same itinerary on August 30. I say somewhat as we are going to Skagway instead of Haines.

Nowhere on our itinerary does it mention any tender ports at all, so I am curious if your itinerary showed those prior to getting on the ship.

I have a Southern Caribbean cruise booked in my personalizer and Princess Cays shows that it is a tender port as expected, but the others show just as a normal dock berth.

Thanks for all you have done in letting us know what we can expect on this beautiful ship!

You should be safe and "tender free". When we booked it said "tender required" ALL over the itinerary.

Thank you so much for the kind comments. It means the world to us ("us" because my camera man hubby does all the hatd work and editing).

You should be safe and "tender free". When we booked it said "tender required" ALL over the itinerary.

Thank you so much for the kind comments. It means the world to us ("us" because my camera man hubby does all the hatd work and editing).

OK, that makes sense then. Its nice that you give all the props to your hard working hubby, but it is clear you and him are a great team and please keep up the great work!

How did you get all of the shots with almost passenger free areas like the piazza? Did you do it in the wee hours of the morning? Also is your hubby using a GoPro?

What a wonderful video presentation. Thank you for taking the time and effort to put this together. You have a very easy voice to listen to. The commentary was great. If gives me an insight on what the Golden Princess might be like. I be on her in January 2016 when she comes to Australia.

Edited by icat2000

In 71 weeks time I will be ABOARD the Golden Princess enjoying the facilities-at long last *wicked grin*-for myself.

As I CANNOTdue to requiring Disabled Accessible facilities, and booking myself the only available to me Window Suite, I cannot be moved said my TA. So when I make the final payment, I can get her to do the Personaliser and printouts needed-have noted to get a copy of the email re the On Board Credit for the cancelled cruise, that's been "allocated" to Cocktail sampling:D

Just found a sponge bag of skincare and toiletries samples so that's going into the main cruise (man-size) spongebag which travels in the carry on case with me. With both pre- and post-cruise overnights planned, I need to allow for 9 nights away from home.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Ketchikan Time:

To our disappointment, Ketchikan was another tender port on this cruise. As I've mentioned, tendering in Alaska is just not pleasant, and takes up a lot of precious time, so we went into this day planning to get off the ship in ample time to make it to our tour. We were set to be in Ketchikan from something like 11am to 7am, so we had a relaxing morning, and packed our backpacks for unknown weather, since the day had the "look of impending drizzle".

Our tour today was a short an inexpensive trip to Totem Bight State Park. On previous trips to Ketchikan we'd regretted missing the totem parks, and read this one was a nice overall trip.We booked in advance through Princess.

We tendered to shore, were dropped just aft of the last cruise ship on the pier, and met the shore - ex rep for the short walk to the bus. The bus ride to Totem Bight was short and scenic, but allowed us to learn a lot about the area from our guide. We learned about the native culture, heard some neat legends, and learned a lot about how traditions are passed down through the mother's side in Tlingit culture. Once we arrived at Totem Bight, we had an optional restroom stop, then started to walk through the park. The guide noted the change in the flora as we entered the more forested area, and the group made its way through the small park and to the clan house, where our group entered and learned more about the native culture. We snuck off for a few minutes to the shoreline when viewing some totems close to the shore, and my son enjoyed walking on logs and exploring.

After seeing all the totems, we walked the short distance to the shop where they sold local goods and were offered coffee and a cookie wrapped in plastic (no water offered unless you bought it at the store...that was odd). We bought a few things (mostly water) and jumped back on the bus for town. The tour was nice, but something I'd only do once. We were very lucky and the weather held all day, no rain!

Once back to town, we hit a shop on the pier for some last minute souvenirs as this was our last Alaskan port. My son loves the chocolate rocks they sell just off the boat, and we bought some neat salad/pasta tongs that look like bear claws to take home.

Then, it was back on the ship for dinner and quiet time.

The next day was a quiet sea day for us with lots of time spent in the wonderful heated indoor pool letting my son practice his swimming skills.. We were still one of maybe only 5 people in the pool at any given time. This was such a highlight of our trip, and an unexpected one as we always think of Alaska as too cool for swimming. The finality of the trip was starting to set in, and we were feeling a need to get the most out of every minute.

1435412996366.jpg.944952129b3d322d5785f0903e485a73.jpg

1435413012225.jpg.2f88f6a319bcf83e44d9830b1b55b551.jpg

1435413026978.jpg.98c311549508771a7c51b38ef476cdc8.jpg

1435413054781.jpg.992a6adfbb215d69204e8bf8f37f5b06.jpg

1435413095373.jpg.dc98a070d502e35e646479891bff9b5e.jpg

1435413123256.jpg.c98d336a70830375e9f34c953139798d.jpg

OK, that makes sense then. Its nice that you give all the props to your hard working hubby, but it is clear you and him are a great team and please keep up the great work!

How did you get all of the shots with almost passenger free areas like the piazza? Did you do it in the wee hours of the morning? Also is your hubby using a GoPro?

Thanks so much.

Yes, hubby used GoPro, our Sony Handycam, and sometimes, his iPhone.

It's hard to get the shots during quiet times - it's trial and error really, rarely early mornings as he is not an early riser. The big secret is to film on port days when everyone gets off the boat, but that's a sacrifice.

On most cruises, he films over half the ship on embarkation day, however the norovirus cleanup prevented that this time as nobody boarded til after 2pm.