Princess Insurance Rate Increase?

cactusrose

Has anyone who booked recently (within the last month) and taken insurance noticed that the rate has increased. I booked a cruise last week. It looks like the insurance that used to be 6% of the fare is now 7%. This is a long expensive cruise so that increase make a real difference in the cost.

I was wondering why the on-line Princess Vacation Protection PDF no longer shows the rates.

Has anyone who booked recently (within the last month) and taken insurance noticed that the rate has increased. I booked a cruise last week. It looks like the insurance that used to be 6% of the fare is now 7%. This is a long expensive cruise so that increase make a real difference in the cost.

I was wondering why the on-line Princess Vacation Protection PDF no longer shows the rates.

Its been where it is now for some time. Just booked another 3 days ago and its 8% of the cruise fare.

Did you get older? I know that one of the insurance factors is age. The older you are, the "more" expensive it is.

I pay very little attention to this cost. It is a must have (done it without and gotten burned). The only reason I know about the age is that someone traveling with me had to pay more for her insurance.

It's still so much cheaper for us to book Princess insurance than independently because of my husband's age. I wasn't aware that Princess charges more as age increases. It was the same price for him as it was for me for our upcoming cruise.

Edited by mek

Stacy, the costs are percentages (which you know) but they are stepped. For the cheapest cruises, it's a minimum of $39 but it varies from 8% down to something like 5 or 6% based on cruise fare (higher cruise fares have lower percentages). For the cruises and cabins we book, it's generally 8% and I have that formula in a spreadsheet I use to budget for cruises. But every so often we fall in the 7% category. I think that's what you're seeing, not a price increase. At least I haven't noticed one and we have it booked for several upcoming cruises.

My understanding is that Princess Vacation Protection - Standard plan was 8% of cruise fare and Platinum Protection was 12%. Therefore once you reach Captains Circle level of Ruby and above, you get upgraded to Platinum Protection (for the price of Standard Protection). This is just my understanding and I may he incorrect.

Did you get older? I know that one of the insurance factors is age. The older you are, the "more" expensive it is.

Check again. Princess insurance rates do not take age into account. That is one reason why the Princess insurance becomes a better deal as one gets older.

I hardly think 1 or 2 percent would make a difference in whether or not we cruised.

15 or 20 percent would get my attention.

Mike:)

It might if you were doing a world cruise and that 1% was hundreds of dollars.

I pay very little attention to this cost. It is a must have (done it without and gotten burned). The only reason I know about the age is that someone traveling with me had to pay more for her insurance.

That would be a negative on age/price. :(

Stacy, the costs are percentages (which you know) but they are stepped. For the cheapest cruises, it's a minimum of $39 but it varies from 8% down to something like 5 or 6% based on cruise fare (higher cruise fares have lower percentages). For the cruises and cabins we book, it's generally 8% and I have that formula in a spreadsheet I use to budget for cruises. But every so often we fall in the 7% category. I think that's what you're seeing, not a price increase. At least I haven't noticed one and we have it booked for several upcoming cruises.

The cruise I booked on board last week is well over $5000 per person which has always been charged at 6% but the charge was 7%. The funny thing is the PVP PDF they went me for this cruise says it should be the 6%. I noticed that they no longer show the breakdown on the PDF on the Princess site so I'm thinking they have raised the rates and have forgotten to change the PDF they send you when you book. I'll call tomorrow to find out.

The PDF they sent me shows the following % of the fare.

Up to $2,499.99 - standard is 8%, platinum is 12%

$2,500.00 to $4,999.99 - standard 7%, platinum 11%

$5,000.00 or more - standard 6%, platinum 10%

According to this, since the fare is over $5K per person it should be 6%.

I booked another cruise in the same price range in March and the insurance rate was 6%.

PVP rates are as follows:

Fares under $2,499

PVP - 8%

PPVP - 12%

Fares over $2,500

PVP - 7%

PPVP - 11%

Thank Rick,

Where did you find this? This is definitely a change from three months ago when there was a three tier breakdown.

Edited by cactusrose

The cruise I booked on board last week is well over $5000 per person which has always been charged at 6% but the charge was 7%. The funny thing is the PVP PDF they went me for this cruise says it should be the 6%. I noticed that they no longer show the breakdown on the PDF on the Princess site so I'm thinking they have raised the rates and have forgotten to change the PDF they send you when you book. I'll call tomorrow to find out.

The PDF they sent me shows the following % of the fare.

Up to $2,499.99 - standard is 8%, platinum is 12%

$2,500.00 to $4,999.99 - standard 7%, platinum 11%

$5,000.00 or more - standard 6%, platinum 10%

According to this, since the fare is over $5K per person it should be 6%.

I booked another cruise in the same price range in March and the insurance rate was 6%.

Does the PDF state Updated 09/13? The form that I see with that date shows the three tiers. A newer PDF online shows no rates.

Has anyone found that their rate has gone if when they have multiple claims?

We have had a claim the past three cruises ( two medical and one flight delay). And just returned from a cruise where one of our suitcases was lost - haven't filed that yet - still waiting for a reply from Princess.

Our TA has gotten a better deal for us through her parent company which is the same as princess - Berkeley.

I was just wondering if they will start charging us more on our upcoming cruises because of the claims.

thanks

Has anyone found that their rate has gone if when they have multiple claims?

We have had a claim the past three cruises ( two medical and one flight delay). And just returned from a cruise where one of our suitcases was lost - haven't filed that yet - still waiting for a reply from Princess.

Our TA has gotten a better deal for us through her parent company which is the same as princess - Berkeley.

I was just wondering if they will start charging us more on our upcoming cruises because of the claims.

thanks

We purchase Princess insurance for 12-15 cruises a year and so have 2-5 claims a year (sometimes for CFAR but other times for medical or loss claims). We have not noticed an increase in price as a result. However, I have noticed that the processing time has slowed considerably, almost doubled in the past year. They send out an email that states to expect your claim form in 2 business days. It now takes over week and when I phoned them was told it always takes at least 4 business days but they were running behind. I asked them to please change their standard email stating to expect it in 2 business days and they said they had been too busy to get to it. :eek:

PVP rates are as follows:

Fares under $2,499

PVP - 8%

PPVP - 12%

Fares over $2,500

PVP - 7%

PPVP - 11%

RickEk is correct and of course you get the free upgrade after you reach Ruby level;)

Edited by BarbaraP

I confirmed today with Princess that cruises with sailing dates after April 2016 may see a rate increase for insurance. I've asked for the new rate chart since they no longer show it in the PDF that is on the Princess site. Customer Relations is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.