Paris- Which Princess Tours?

JulieM

If you only have three days, I would spent it all in Paris especially as your DW loves art museum. You could do a full day in the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. I'm also not sure that it is realistic to try to do Versailles and Monet's garden in the same day. You can spent the entire day at Versailles especially if you spend time in the gardens. That seems to be a lot of traveling for one day and with lots to see. I would probably choose one or the other for the third day if you want one day outside of Paris, but having been to Paris several times, I would probably spend my three days in the City. If your DW likes impressionist paintings there is a Monet museum that is absolutely wonderful and worth seeking out--it's a little on the outskirts of the main tourist areas. So much to see and do--I love Paris. Enjoy!

We did the Seine River cruise. It was a lot of time in the bus but since we hadn't been to Paris we thought this was the best choice. The lunch was fantastic but it wasn't really a good opportunity to take pictures unless you happen to be seated by a window. They file you in and you don't have a choice of where you will sit. The boat is filled with long tables and we had people between us and the windows. We did have photo opportunities while driving around the city and we stopped at a place that was perfect for taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower.

We took this tour also and were very unhappy. We really saw nothing because they covered the windows with shades to block the sun and our table was in the middle of the boat. My husband went outside on a platform to take pictures and ate very little of the meal.

If you want to see Paris by boat, then it would be to your advantage to use the open tourist boats and skip the dining boats.

If you only have three days, I would spent it all in Paris especially as your DW loves art museum. You could do a full day in the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. I'm also not sure that it is realistic to try to do Versailles and Monet's garden in the same day. You can spent the entire day at Versailles especially if you spend time in the gardens. That seems to be a lot of traveling for one day and with lots to see. I would probably choose one or the other for the third day if you want one day outside of Paris, but having been to Paris several times, I would probably spend my three days in the City. If your DW likes impressionist paintings there is a Monet museum that is absolutely wonderful and worth seeking out--it's a little on the outskirts of the main tourist areas. So much to see and do--I love Paris. Enjoy!

I will pass that advice on to my wife, but I think she has her heart set on seeing both. I think she has found various private tours that do both Monet's Gardens and Versailles on the same day. She is very hard to slow down. Three summers ago we were in Rome on a cruise and the temperature was near 100 degrees. I kept telling her that my head was melting, but she kept insisting she had two more things she just had to see.

They also seem to sell the Paris Museum pass only for even numbers of days.

And yes she loves impressionism. I believe we did see a Monet Museum (along with a Chagall Museum) on our very first cruise when we were in Cannes.

I will pass that advice on to my wife, but I think she has her heart set on seeing both. I think she has found various private tours that do both Monet's Gardens and Versailles on the same day. She is very hard to slow down.

Versailles is huge, and it's about 30 miles outside of Paris. If you go, you will only see the highlights in such a short time. Monet's gardens are much farther from Paris and in the other direction from Versailles. If there is a tour that does both in one day, I expect a lot of the time will be spent traveling to the places. Be sure you plan to do it on a day when both will be open.

And yes she loves impressionism. I believe we did see a Monet Museum (along with a Chagall Museum) on our very first cruise when we were in Cannes.

The Musee d'Orsay in Paris is where you will see the impressionists. It's across the river from the Louvre, and the place you want to see if you like 19th century art. There is very little of it in the Louvre.

Cruising (on the ocean) is not the best way to see European cities, IMO.

Versailles is huge, and it's about 30 miles outside of Paris. If you go, you will only see the highlights in such a short time. Monet's gardens are much farther from Paris and in the other direction from Versailles. If there is a tour that does both in one day, I expect a lot of the time will be spent traveling to the places. Be sure you plan to do it on a day when both will be open.

The Musee d'Orsay in Paris is where you will see the impressionists. It's across the river from the Louvre, and the place you want to see if you like 19th century art. There is very little of it in the Louvre.

Cruising (on the ocean) is not the best way to see European cities, IMO.

What days are they closed? The plan is to do the museums on a Thursday and Friday and the other attractions on a Saturday.

We did discover that many European museums were closed on Mondays when we stayed a day in Copenhagen after a cruise and when the New Parthenon Museum was not open when we were in Athens on a cruise on a Monday.

What days are they closed? The plan is to do the museums on a Thursday and Friday and the other attractions on a Saturday.

You will need to check with the attractions themselves. In addition to regular closed days, sometimes there are European holidays where hours will change.

Since we have been advised that 3 days in Paris is not really enough, I can see why 4 hours is totally inadequate. My DW is the world's finest art teacher, so naturally museums are important to her. Her plans (I just follow along) are to buy the 2 day museum pass and book a tour of Monet's Gardens and the Palace of Versailles for the other day. Does this sound reasonable?

I will pass that advice on to my wife, but I think she has her heart set on seeing both. I think she has found various private tours that do both Monet's Gardens and Versailles on the same day. She is very hard to slow down. Three summers ago we were in Rome on a cruise and the temperature was near 100 degrees. I kept telling her that my head was melting, but she kept insisting she had two more things she just had to see.

They also seem to sell the Paris Museum pass only for even numbers of days.

Since your DW loves Impressionism she may want to go to the Musee Marmottan Monet. It is not as well known as some of the other museums in Paris but it houses Monet's Impression Sunrise which is considered the very first impressionistic painting. It is a very nice museum and well worth the visit.

I have been to the Chagall Museum. It is in Nice. I love Chagall and I was in heaven.

We took the Louvre and Eiffel Tower tour last year. We enjoyed the tour and had a good guide. Both the food and the view at the Eiffel Tower were excellent, as was the drive from Le Havre and the drive through Paris. However, there was too little time to enjoy the tower or the museum. Once we finished lunch, we had only a few minutes to run up a level to see the view. Coming down, the elevators were full and so slow we had to run down the stairs to get back to the bus in time. The Louvre was jam-packed. The guide led us at a trot to see the Mona Lisa (from about 10 rows of people back) and a few other items, by-passing everything in-between. I'd join the others in recommending the boat tour. We've also done that several times and always enjoyed it.

Since your DW loves Impressionism she may want to go to the Musee Marmottan Monet. It is not as well known as some of the other museums in Paris but it houses Monet's Impression Sunrise which is considered the very first impressionistic painting. It is a very nice museum and well worth the visit.

I have been to the Chagall Museum. It is in Nice. I love Chagall and I was in heaven.

Yes, that is the very one I was remembering--Musee Marmottan Monet-- wonderful paintings all by Monet. Also, don't miss Monet's huge paintings of the waterlillies in the Musee de l'Orangerie, which is in the Tuileries gardens adjacent to the Place de la Concord and not far from the Louvre. I always like to cram in as much touring as possible, but you (and she) will find it frustrating if you spend most of Day 3 traveling between two sights in opposite directions and don't have enough time to see either one properly. You should be OK on museums on Thursday and Friday. The Louvre is closed on Tuesday and I believe Musee D'orsay is closed on Monday. If I remember one has late hours on Thursday and the other has late hours on Friday--it's much less crowded during the extended evening hours. Hope this helps and enjoy your three days in Paris and France.

We are also doing the "Paris on Your Own" tour. While looking forward to it, me gut tells me that it would look better from a distance.

It some ways it does but it also looks awesome standing directly under it and looking up. And, of course, the views over Paris from the Eiffel Tower are stunning.

However for a one day trip I'd probably go for the river cruise, you'll see all the major land marks that way, from the right perspective - some don't look as spectacular when you're looking down on them.

Then we received an offer to fly to Paris, spend 3 days there, and then fly to Amsterdam, and spend 3 days there. We have been to Amsterdam (but in the winter, not in the summer when tulips have bloomed in the Netherlands), but have never been to Paris. Be aware that the tulips bloom in the Spring, not in summer. By the end of may they are gone.

Since we have been advised that 3 days in Paris is not really enough, I can see why 4 hours is totally inadequate. My DW is the world's finest art teacher, so naturally museums are important to her. Her plans (I just follow along) are to buy the 2 day museum pass and book a tour of Monet's Gardens and the Palace of Versailles for the other day. Does this sound reasonable?

As others have pointed out, Monet's Gardens and the Palace of Versailles are in different directions and you cannot do justice to both on a one day tour.

I suggest going to Monet's Gardens and the Palace of Versailles on different days. Find a tour that does go to Monet's Gardens, but for Versailles I suggest taking a train there on your own. It is easy to do, quicker than bus transportation, and allows you to control how much time you will spend at the Palace.

Thank you for the name of that museum. I will pass that on to DW.

You are right, the Chagall Museum we saw as well as the Monet Museum are in Nice. The port we landed in was actually Villefrance (probably spelled wrong). The next time we were in that area (repeated for our 35th anniversary the itinerary for our first cruise for our 25th anniversary) we landed in Cannes, and that's probably why I thought of Cannes instead of Nice.

It is beginning to sound more and more like 3 days is not enough time to spend in Paris. (Though its is a lot better than 4 hours!)

The museum passes, which not only should save us money but allow us to skip long lines, are only sold for even amounts of days; and the days used must be consecutive.

I'll try my best to convince my wife to pick one of those two major attractions outside of Paris, but she can be quite stubborn.

My thanks to everyone who has commented on our plans.

As others have pointed out, Monet's Gardens and the Palace of Versailles are in different directions and you cannot do justice to both on a one day tour.

I suggest going to Monet's Gardens and the Palace of Versailles on different days. Find a tour that does go to Monet's Gardens, but for Versailles I suggest taking a train there on your own. It is easy to do, quicker than bus transportation, and allows you to control how much time you will spend at the Palace.

I think we might have hit upon a solution to the problem that some of you have pointed out about seeing both Monet's Gardens and the Palace at Versailles.

The Palace at Versailles is actually included in the Paris Museum pass. So, we could go there as part of our two museum days. That would leave a day for Monet's Gardens. If that leaves us some time on our third day, we could always just walk around Paris. I've read that it's a wonderful city to just walk around in.

BTW, there would be even less time in the two attractions combining them. Not only would there be all the travelling that has been pointed out, but there is lunch provided. Now most people would want lunch in a long day, but DW is definitely NOT one of them. She even told me a story once how she was pissed that they made her have a lunch period in high school when she wanted to take an extra art course instead. Supposedly, you were able to take an extra course instead of lunch with parental approval, but she was not allowed. She has even lost weight on all our cruises!

THANKS EVERYONE VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVICE!

We went ahead and booked the Seine River Cruise.

Thanks also to those who offered the tips of needing to get close to a window. I will do my best to make sure we get a good seat.

Much appreciated!

The Musee d'Orsay in Paris is where you will see the impressionists

There are struggling artists with small drawings, paintings, & pastels in front of d'Orsée. We got a few nice things for the apartment. We walked a few doors down to an art shop for mailing tubes to bring them home.

Since we have been advised that 3 days in Paris is not really enough, I can see why 4 hours is totally inadequate. My DW is the world's finest art teacher, so naturally museums are important to her

Musée Georges Pompidou has all modern art.

d'Orsée has Whistlers Mother.

Musée Rodin, bien sur, speaks for itself. I've always liked Rodin, but my mother called his work "dirty pictures."

Le Louvre has pretty much everything else. The café at the Louvre is good...you can get eggplant (aubergine) there.

Steve

Edited by skf

My wife showed me a list of her to do things for Paris.

Notre Dame

Louvre

D'Orsay

Giverny and Versailles tour

So I still have to convince her we should do those 2 things separately, otherwise we will spend lots of travel time and do neither one justice.

It should be easier now that she seems to be choosing quality over quantity. She has also pointed out doing it her way has us paying for Versailles twice since it is on the Paris pass.

She took out a Fodor's book on Paris from out local library yesterday, so I'm sure she will find more things. I have mentioned the Monet Museum. He is one of her favorites. Actually, she has lots of favorites, which is not surprising since she is an art teacher.

Thanks for the heads up about eggplant at the Louvre. That too is among our favorites.

• 1 month later...
My wife showed me a list of her to do things for Paris.

Notre Dame

Louvre

D'Orsay

Giverny and Versailles tour

So I still have to convince her we should do those 2 things separately, otherwise we will spend lots of travel time and do neither one justice.

It should be easier now that she seems to be choosing quality over quantity. She has also pointed out doing it her way has us paying for Versailles twice since it is on the Paris pass.

She took out a Fodor's book on Paris from out local library yesterday, so I'm sure she will find more things. I have mentioned the Monet Museum. He is one of her favorites. Actually, she has lots of favorites, which is not surprising since she is an art teacher.

Thanks for the heads up about eggplant at the Louvre. That too is among our favorites.

Update---On our first day, she was still talking about seeing both Versailles and Givechny on the same day, but that was not what we did. Versailles was on the second day using our museum pass. Givechny was on the third day.

First day---Notre Dame, the Louvre, and Musseo d'Orsay.

Second day---Versailles, and a Rodin museum including a garden.

Third day--Givechny and a Seine sightseeing boat.

The Princess excursion we took was "Paris on Your Own"!

Basically, Princess provided our transport to and from Paris and we were free to do whatever we wished while there. :)

Agree with many others: Seeing the Eiffel Tower from a distance was more thrilling than seeing it close up. ;)

LuLu

where did the bus drop you off?

Marianne

You are right, the Chagall Museum we saw as well as the Monet Museum are in Nice. The port we landed in was actually Villefrance (probably spelled wrong). The next time we were in that area (repeated for our 35th anniversary the itinerary for our first cruise for our 25th anniversary) we landed in Cannes, and that's probably why I thought of Cannes instead of Nice.

In case anyone is looking for a Monet museum in Nice - THERE IS NOT ONE.

There are a Matisse Museum and a Chagall Museum in Nice.

Near Nice, there is a Renoir Museum (and his home) in Haut de Cagnes, a Picasso Museum in Antibes and a Fernand Leger Museum in Biot. And for a museum with all of them, there is the Fondation Maeght in St. Paul de Vence.

Edited by marazul

In case anyone is looking for a Monet museum in Nice - THERE IS NOT ONE.

There are a Matisse Museum and a Chagall Museum in Nice.

Near Nice, there is a Renoir Museum (and his home) in Haut de Cagnes, a Picasso Museum in Antibes and a Fernand Leger Museum in Biot. And for a museum with all of them, there is the Fondation Maeght in St. Paul de Vence.

You are correct; we visited the Chagall Museum and the MATISSE Museum when we were in Nice.

• 1 month later...
I think you have to accept the tour descriptions on face value and let the description guide your decision. If you do not have an interest in the Louvre then it seems silly to spend part of your too-short time in Paris being dragged through the musuem. Short Louvre visits usually involve being rushed through the huge place to see the most famous works such as the Mona Lisa. Unfortunately for some, this is a lot of walking since the famous works are not necessarily close to the entrance (or each other).

As to the river cruise (a very common activity in Paris) it is what it is :). You go up and down the Seine in a large tour boat and get a narrative of what is along the shore and various bridges. Having been to Paris many times (on our own) both DW and I still enjoy occasionally taking a River Cruise (although I prefer nighttime). But I think the best advice we can give the OP is to simply go with your instincts knowing that you will only get a very brief overview of Paris in such a short time. We have literally spent weeks in this city without ever being bored or thinking we have "seen it all." Our first visit was also on a cruise tour (about thirty-five years ago) which is what started our love affair with this amazing city. Now, a visit to Paris usually means renting an apartment for at least a week.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Not sure if you will pick this up. I have asked a few questions on here before about the South of France.

We arrive in Le Havre whilst on the Ovation of the Seas at 7am until midnight. As its a new ship, no excursions are available yet.

What is the easiest option to get to Paris. I did see the train is 70Eu each. A bus would take a lot longer and a ship tour might give us the full day in Paris.