What were your biggest waves?

We were on the Disney Magic several years ago and went through 13 foot seas and a lot of wind. We barely felt any movement at all, probably because we were heading into wind/waves. It was fun to watch the spray at the front of the ship. What were the biggest waves and/or stories you've experienced?

In Sept 2011, while traveling down the Inside Passage from Alaska to Vancouver, I photographed the stateroom TV screen showing 82 MPH winds from the side. The ship would list sharply and then snap back to upright. A photo taken from the bridge of the Westerdam, following a mile behind us, showed waves over the bow (60-foot). The typhoon waves and winds ceased as soon as we passed behind an Inside Passage island.

The Captain announced when we would be losing the island's protection and for the passengers to take precautions.

We lost a lounger from our aft cabin verandah and the rest of the furniture piled into the verandah corner. Thank God for duct tape!!

We started out the day at the pool at 11. All was calm. By 1:30 all the water was sloshing out of the pool and the clock on the side of the pool kept dipping out of view. Decided we would hit the Windjammer for lunch then hunker down fir the night. Well you all know about the panoramic view in the windjammer. As soon as we walked in you could really see the effects of what was going on. We literally felt like the ship was going over. DS who was 4 then started screaming. We got our food and spent the rest of the day in my sisters inside cabin. By noon the next day it was over the CD said that they planned on canceling all events even that day , but the Captain ( who was renamed Captain Jack Sparrow) said. These crazy Texans are ready to party. CD and Captain both said it was the first time they had ever gotten ill. We missed Key West and Grand Cayman. But hit Costa Maya and Belize instead. My dad stayed up and got done phenomenal photos from deck 4. The crew was amazing and it was a great cruise!! I'm really glad he made the decision that he did. Our only other choice would have been to gloat around the Gulf and cal on Vera Cruz and Progresso.

Edited by brn2crz

In 1998. we were on the Silver Wind going from iceland to Cornerbrook. We we were caught in an Atlantic storm that had 50 foot waves and 100 mph winds.

The grand piano in the showroom ended up in the orchestra pit. We were taking 30 degree rolls according to my inclometer

NCL Dream

35' following seas that twice pick up the back of the ship so high the propellors came out of the water .

What a Horrible shake and shudder that ship made . :eek:

Edited by biker@sea

In January 2007 on Noordam heading to the Caribbean the morning after leaving New York, I woke up to see solid green sea water outside my window as we plowed through 30+ foot seas. Not as huge as the 40+ foot seas off Cape Hatteras in February 1962, but USN ships lack windows in the hull offering such views.

NCL Dream

35' following seas that twice pick up the back of the ship so high the propellors came out of the water .

What a Horrible shake and shudder that ship made . :eek:

Probably was on the same cruise going around Cape Horn.

Had an outside cabin, on Deck 7, and waves were going past my window.

Several occasions of 25-30 foot swells, Tasman Sea was the worst each time we crossed it. Also were hit by a 117mph wind gust that came out of nowhere, felt like an earthquake, and caused the ship to list until the Captain turned into the wind. We've seen major waves in the pool several times, resulting in most of the water being lost and closure of the entire pool areas. Back in the early 80's we watched deck lounges blowing overboard on the old ship Constitution between Kona and Maui.

Edited by Kartgv

I don't know how big the waves were on our 2nd NCL Jewel cruise but we were on the 8th deck and the waves were so high one night we had salt spray all over our balcony and windows the next morning. Laying in bed it felt like we were on a roller coaster.

South China sea about 1993. 45 ft waves and the "barf o meter" was showing the ship was rolling about 30-45 deg each way. The entire bridge crew have lost it at least twice on the 00 -04 watch...needless to say the chow live for breakfast was really short the next morning. :D They even said no one was allowed outside the skin of the ship unless it was directly related to your job. (The signalman were hating life :eek: 0

Been through 40' ers a few times.

Had waves breaking on our Balcony on deck 7 and cabin down from us had window broken, never got official measurement on those but my maths says had to be 50 foot plus.