Getting to LAX after Hawaii/Tahiti cruise

Pop and Peppy

Our TA made our air reservations so we would not have to change planes. We leave LAX at 12:30 pm. We have purchased the transport from Princess to get us to and from LAX. Will Princess get us to the airport in time and how do they do this with over 3,000 passengers disembarking that morning? Does it matter that we are not flying with a Princess selected flight? You can tell that I am a little leery of flying after a trip to China last year where more than one flight was canceled or delayed by many hours. We even considered driving from GA to CA to avoid commercial flight. Thanks for your help, Peppy:)

Need to clarify things here a little. You are doing a cruise that ends in the port of Los Angeles? If so, Princess will offer (you can book your own transfers if you wish- it is usually cheaper) transfers to LAX. 12:30 flight is not a problem, you will make it just fine. It doesn't matter if your flight is not booked through Princess- I think it likely that most people don't book their flights through the cruise line.

The cruise lines are very well practiced in moving very large numbers of people very efficiently. They do it every day. Princess will (problems excepted) empty your ship by 9:30 or 10, pretty easily.

Tens of thousands of flights go every day. Occasionally there are problems, due to a large number of possible reasons. But overall, the system works very well. You need to do your part to carefully planning your flights and connections to decrease chances of problems. Many of us have flown hundreds of thousands of miles, some millions of miles, with very few misconnects or other problems.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Peppy,

Princess will do everything they can to get you to the airport on time. Those with earlier flights are the first off. Those with mid-or late afternoon flights will leave the ship later.

We still haven't seen you on the Roll Call. My wife and I are on the same cruise as you. You should join us.

The trip from San Pedro to LAX is approximately 30 mins without traffic. If you disembark by 9am or so you should be able to make your flight. When you complete your disembark questionnaire request a time around 9am. It will take maybe 30 mins to clear immigration and get your luggage. Princess does advise the 'earliest flight time' in the information they provide. Check this. If my memory is correct I think 12:30 is probably within the Princess guidelines. Personally I would recommend a private cab or one of the shuttle services, such as Prime Time or Super Shuttle. These shuttles accept reservations. Check on line. The cost is better or equal to the Princess cost. Also, Princess uses buses, and the bus does not depart until it is totally full. There can be delays waiting for the bus to fill up. Some airlines have EZ Check available. There is a cost. With EZ Check your luggage goes directly to the airline. It doesn't matter if you book you own air or book it through Princess.

Also, Princess uses buses, and the bus does not depart until it is totally full.

Don't know how it is at the LA port but the same company handles the embark/disembark there as does the process at Seattle and the policy there is that buses, almost without exception are held no longer than 20 minutes from the time the first passenger loads on the bus. But you are correct in that a taxi is almost always going to be faster than a bus. Plus the taxi can drop you off right at the airline you are taking rather than having everybody dropped off at one location which may be away from your airline. :confused:

Tom

You do not want to take a taxi from the cruise port to LAX. Far too expensive. Yes, it's 30 minutes to LAX without traffic but that rarely happens. It's more like 45 minutes or even longer because LAX itself is a zoo and often has gridlock. I've had it take half an hour just from the entrance to the terminal.

The ship will likely be completely empty by 10-10:30am so you're fine with a 12:30pm flight. No need to rush or worry. My suggestion would be to book a shuttle with PrimeTime. They run shuttles continuously to LAX. It'll be cheaper and faster since they only fill a van, not a big bus.

Hopefully there aren't three ships in San Pedro that day and it doesn't affect customs. Last time on the Crown, they were running 90-120 behind and most people with noon flights didn't even get off the ship until 10:30/11.

You do not want to take a taxi from the cruise port to LAX. Far too expensive.

I don't think it is too expensive, although I would take a town car before I would take a taxi.

The last thing I would take is a shuttle or a bus. So not everyone thinks it is too expensive to take a taxi or town car.:):)

Our TA made our air reservations so we would not have to change planes. We leave LAX at 12:30 pm. We have purchased the transport from Princess to get us to and from LAX. Will Princess get us to the airport in time and how do they do this with over 3,000 passengers disembarking that morning? Does it matter that we are not flying with a Princess selected flight? You can tell that I am a little leery of flying after a trip to China last year where more than one flight was canceled or delayed by many hours. We even considered driving from GA to CA to avoid commercial flight. Thanks for your help, Peppy:)

Cancel the transfer....there will be dozens of cabs... cost to lax about $75 ill bet that's cheaper than princess...right.

You know you can take the train to LA I took it from new Orleans to Chicago to LA 3500 miles it was great !!!

I personally find disembarkation the most stressful part of any cruise!! Why not make it easy on yourself and overnight at LAX.? No worries about all the things that could cause you to miss your flight. Hotel shuttle back to the airport the next morning rested and relaxed. Hopefully you could get rebooked on the same non stop flight the next day. I know additional costs would be involved-airline change fees/hotel room, but we have done this before and find the peace of mind is priceless.

Happy sailing!

I personally find disembarkation the most stressful part of any cruise!! Why not make it easy on yourself and overnight at LAX.? ... I know additional costs would be involved-airline change fees/hotel room, but we have done this before and find the peace of mind is priceless.

Charge fees are pretty high these days. Delta, for example, charges $200/person for a domestic reservation.

So for two people, once you add hotel cost and food costs to that $400 in change fees, the total could be over $600.

Peace of mind may be priceless, but it could be at a cost of $600+

I think 12:30 is a very reasonable time for you to make your flight under normal circumstances.

I'm with the group that say to cancel your Princess transfers. We've found them to be the most expensive AND slowest way to get to the airport.

If you're uncomfortable using a shuttle (Prime Time or SuperShuttle, both of which would be reliable) then make friends with another couple on your cruise and share a cab to the airport. There will be lines of cabs waiting when you disembark.

If you're still nervous you can always request a very early disembark time. If the time you get isn't early enough just go to Guest Services and request an earlier one - they're pretty accommodating.

My guess is you will end up being at LAX really early and waiting for your boarding time!