Firearms for the crew

smellycruzer

Many maritime insurance groups will NOT insure any armed ship as it is a huge liability. After the 1985 incident that a passenger was thrown over the side in the Med. there was much discussion on this issue. Also several shipping lines wanted to carry firearms after several piracy issues off Yemen and again insurance agencies said they would not insure ARMED vessels or the cost would be to prohibitive. I do not think that has been changed.

A ship back in 1985 was seized terrorists, it was an Italian ship named The Achille Lauro, 4 members of the PLF took control of the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes.

have a good friend who is a chief engineer for the big cargo ships....Even they are not allowed fire arms on the ship or on their person....

That would be the company's decision, as I've sailed on many ships over the years where the Captain has had at least one weapon in the safe.

A ship back in 1985 was seized terrorists, it was an Italian ship named The Achille Lauro, 4 members of the PLF took control of the ship.

And pushed an elderly Jew named (IIRC) Klinghoeffer over board in his wheel chair.

And the rest of that horrific story: One 69-year-old Jewish American man in a wheelchair, Leon Klinghoffer, was murdered by the hijackers and his body thrown overboard.

Edited by capriccio

And one passenger was thrown over the side. It took almost 24 Hours for the nearest military ship to get there and longer for Special Forces to get there. Guess how I know and I was not on the cruise ship.

For all those that have insisted that insurance carrier's or government regulators forbid cruise ships from carrying arms.....I offer this link...;)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/12/us-somalia-piracy-idUSBRE91B19Y20130212

Very good article but it says nothing about insurance carriers and their coverage of armed ships.

And one passenger was thrown over the side. It took almost 24 Hours for the nearest military ship to get there and longer for Special Forces to get there. Guess how I know and I was not on the cruise ship.

OK I will bite, you were the Admiral on the battleship?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Most of the time we were in the pirate area, there was a naval ship nearby.

Now doesn't the muster drill statement make brief mention " We are prepared to handle any and all threats "

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Seahawks

That would be the company's decision, as I've sailed on many ships over the years where the Captain has had at least one weapon in the safe.

Perhaps where the ship is registered has something to do with which ships can carry guns?

Guns are only effective to repel hijackers at the boarding stage. Once hostages are seized and threatened with death, shooting it out with hijackers is no longer an option for ship crews. That's the job for SEAL Team Six or Delta.

Edited by sfaaa

Perhaps where the ship is registered has something to do with which ships can carry guns?

Actually way less than the shipowner. The more restrictive flag states like the EU and US allow weapons, so the flags of convenience basically don't even consider the question, they let the shipowner decide.

Country of registry is mostly for tax ($$$) reasons.

As Chengkp75 says they don't need or want that authority.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Guns are only effective to repel hijackers at the boarding stage. Once hostages are seized and threatened with death, shooting it out with hijackers is no longer an option for ship crews. That's the job for SEAL Team Six or Delta.

Absolutely correct. That's why I'm a proponent of deploying lethal weapons to prevent them from boarding in the first place.

Last October we sailed from Athens to Mumbai on a Seabourn ship. After leaving Haifa and before entering the Suez Canal we took on board a "security" team as they were described to the passengers. We saw these men posted both forward and aft. They were dressed in black and most wore ski masks. They had large bags with unknown equipment next to them on the deck. After exiting the Canal and before going through the Bab Al-Mandab strait between Djibouti and Yemen we stopped briefly and a zodiac with more men clad in black came alongside and these fellows boarded as well. We had several days at sea sailing in the waters between the Arabian Peninsula and the Coast of Africa. One night, actually around 3 AM, my husband heard a loud pop. The next day at lunch we dined with a man who asked if we had heard the loud noise during the night. My husband said he had and the two of them agreed it sounded like a shot. A day or so later the man told us he had been talking to one of the officers who said that a small boat had been approaching our ship and didn't reply to radio calls. According to him a shot was fired in warning and the small boat changed course. I have no idea if that's what happened but it fit with the sounds my husband and our fellow passenger heard. I also haven't a clue if it was a fishing boat with no radio. We were very happy to have the men in black on board. I think Seabourn may be especially cautious in light of the incident Pete made reference to involving the Seabourn Spirit a number of years ago.

Very good article but it says nothing about insurance carriers and their coverage of armed ships.

I do not believe the Cunard Line, or any for that matter, would operate without the protection of its insurance carrier. Way too much liability...

And it would behoove an insurance carrier to encourage, maybe even require that adequate security measure's are taken to protect a ship full of passenger's, sailing in risky waters, even if that means employing accredited armed merchant forces on board....

I have been reading a lot about arming pilots with a firearm on airplanes to deal with any potential threats. Does anyone know if Princess has a vault of firearms for emergency situations or if there is a cruise line standard for this issue? Otherwise is there a means of protecting passengers from a violent situation? Just food for thought...

There are armed police detectives on board (paid by the cruise line) to investigate crimes and well trained, well armed ex-military contingencies, and pre-planned contingencies with the US Navy, etc. Way beyond airlines preparation. The visible security you see are just the surface. All that can be said.

That is ancient history and a much lesser ship than those of today. Ship is prepared to repel just about any contingency. Much more than you might imagine, and they won't talk about it. Nuff said. Just enjoy your cruise.