Passport question

tulips*n*truffles

I'm apparently not using the correct forum search terms...I would be sure this question has been asked to death and I can't find what I'm looking form. :-(

When in an international port, do you carry your original passport, carry a photocopy, keep it in the safe, swap photocopies with travel mates...?? I've spent lots of time overseas and every time I have a different opinion...though everyone has great arguments for both sides and I'm sure we're all split 50/50. I'd just love some advice.

Can anyone direct me to a thread where this is discussed? Or offer an opinion?

Thanks!!

I'm apparently not using the correct forum search terms...I would be sure this question has been asked to death and I can't find what I'm looking form. :-(

When in an international port, do you carry your original passport, carry a photocopy, keep it in the safe, swap photocopies with travel mates...?? I've spent lots of time overseas and every time I have a different opinion...though everyone has great arguments for both sides and I'm sure we're all split 50/50. I'd just love some advice.

Can anyone direct me to a thread where this is discussed? Or offer an opinion?

Thanks!!

All the cruises we've been on there's only been 2 ports we were required to take our passports ashore with us while there. All other ports, we left it in our room safe onboard. Just carried our ship's card and a driver's license (photo ID) for readmission to the port area at the end of the day.

All the cruises we've been on there's only been 2 ports we were required to take our passports ashore with us while there. All other ports, we left it in our room safe onboard. Just carried our ship's card and a driver's license (photo ID) for readmission to the port area at the end of the day.

So you didn't carry a photocopy? Suppose the ship had left without you or something equally unlikely, is the Plan B just a photo ID? I'm literally having the conversation and argument with myself!

Here is one, and not the longest one by any means, from over on Carnival which seems to have some of the most active postings. Simply put passport in the search box

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070931&highlight=passport

There are many many more but you get most of the same answers.

Personally, I don't usually bother in the Caribbean but did (when I had them to take) in Europe. Although usually the ship kept them since they had to present them to the officials before we were cleared to disembark.

Here is one, and not the longest one by any means, from over on Carnival which seems to have some of the most active postings. Simply put passport in the search box

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070931&highlight=passport

There are many many more but you get most of the same answers.

Personally, I don't usually bother in the Caribbean but did (when I had them to take) in Europe. Although usually the ship kept them since they had to present them to the officials before we were cleared to disembark.

THANK YOU! I can't say I've ever left the Princess board...lesson learned!! I'll check it out!

We never leave the ship without our passports. If anything happens at least you have the documents you need. People will say what happens if you loose them. Its more important when something screws up that you have them with you. Photo copys are no good.

So you didn't carry a photocopy? Suppose the ship had left without you or something equally unlikely, is the Plan B just a photo ID? I'm literally having the conversation and argument with myself!

If you're running late where the ship is leaving and you're not onboard, they will send security to your cabin to unlock the safe, take your passport and leave it with the port agent.

It's not like a photocopy is accepted documentation for travel anyway; just might make things quicker if you have to go to the US embassy or consulate and get a new passport.

Edited by Illyria

That's what we do, too, but we also have a copy of our passports that we carry. Princess will notify you if you need to take your passport ashore.

It's not doing me any good sitting in my safe on the ship. I carry it with me. A passport's not meant to be treated like the deed to your house or the original Declaration of Independence and kept locked away in a vault. I always snicker to myself at the airport or at disembarkation when I see people pull out passports that look like they've never been opened. Mine looks like a sophomore's dog-eared copy of Shakespeare the night before the final exam on Hamlet. And it's only four years old.

You are going to get differing opinions on this topic and there is no true right or wrong. Personally, having traveled extensively for over forty years we prefer to keep our Passports in the safest place. This means usually locked in a safe whether it be on a cruise or in a hotel. Passports are valuable (a US Passport can be worth thousands of dollars on the Black Market) and we treat is a such. We only carry them when necessary. We have been with travelers who have had their passports stolen (when on their person) or lost and it is not a pretty sight. The most recent time was about 2 years ago on the Celebrity Silhouette on a Med/Middle East cruise. While in Tel Aviv, one of our passengers (who happened to be a Policeman) was carrying his Passport (and other valuables) on his person when he (and DW) decided to go swimming off the nearby beach. They laid down their stuff on the beach and ask some other passengers to please watch their stuff and then went in the water. When they returned all their valuables were gone and the folks watching their stuff said they did not notice what happened. Fortunately for the couple we were in Israel for 2 more days (at another port) and they only had to sacrifice those 2 days, some money, and lots of aggravation working to get replacements. Sadly, they also lost several hundred more dollars because of 2 excursions booked, but not taken (because they had to spend all their time dealing with the Passport issue).

Hank

We leave our passports in the safe in our cabin unless required ashore. Princess will go to our cabin and get the passport if we will miss the ship. The ship's agent will then give it to us;
I also have a photo of my passport on my phone plus I always carry my Passport Card.

There's no right or wrong. That said, if passports are required on shore, the Patter will have a notice. Otherwise, I don't bring my passport. There's too much theft in some ports and God forbid yours is stolen.

I have personal experience with this issue.:rolleyes: Keep your passport in the safe and a copy with you. The copy will expedite the process to get you a new passport if you should need one. Princess will let you know if you need to take your passport ashore with you. Normally a driver's license and your room card will suffice.

As mentioned above, on many cruises outside North America your passport will be collected when you check in and returned towards the end of the cruise. If a port requires you to have it with you (Russia and Egypt come to mind), you will be given the passport and need to return it after the port.

And if you must have the passport on shore (as in Russia and Egypt), definitely do not lose it. You may not be allowed to re-board the ship if you do.

Our passports stay in the cabin safe. As for a photocopy of a passport, that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee almost nowhere. All you need to take ashore is your cruise card and a photo ID such as a DL.

Often the ship will need to keep your passport when clearing customs to enter certain countries. However, if you want to change money at a bank in some countries like China, the bank will ask for your passport and make a copy of it. I have found in that case that a copy of the passport will suffice. Some countries will also require a passport if you want to buy a sim chip for your cellphone.

I also have a photo of my passport on my phone plus I always carry my Passport Card.

There's no right or wrong. That said, if passports are required on shore, the Patter will have a notice. Otherwise, I don't bring my passport. There's too much theft in some ports and God forbid yours is stolen.

Pam - you have just made me feel better about stupidly misreading the passport renewal costs and accidentally paying for BOTH a new passport and a passport card - which I never thought I'd use! Now I will take it ashore with me and lock up my passport book in the safe!

As mentioned above, on many cruises outside North America your passport will be collected when you check in and returned towards the end of the cruise. If a port requires you to have it with you (Russia and Egypt come to mind), you will be given the passport and need to return it after the port.

And if you must have the passport on shore (as in Russia and Egypt), definitely do not lose it. You may not be allowed to re-board the ship if you do.

I've surrendered my passport to the ship on several cruises (add China and Korea to the above list). For those that are avid shoppers there are many places where having your passport or a quality photo copy of it can save you the VAT (tax) that some countries add to retail purchases. Many retailers will supply you (when asked) with a stamped and numbered form that will allow you to get a refund of the VAT added to your purchase if you've spent over $100.00 at that store - but you'll need your passport to qualify.

If you'll be shopping for something a bit more costly than t-shirts having your passport with you is just another reason to carry it - except this one can often save you some money;).